Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Delay after Brighton and Hove bin strike vote "too close to call"
2:20pm Friday 19th July 2013 in News
The city will have to wait until Wednesday to see if there will be another bin strike after a union vote was "too close to call".
GMB Hove representative Mark Turner told the Argus that the vote was 50/50 and officials needed more time to interpret the results.
He described the ballot as “extremely complex” with the proposal impacting different members of the workforce in different ways.
Brighton and Hove City Council bosses offered the new proposal following a week-long bin strike last month.
The union has spent the last few weeks presenting the new offer to its members before a ballot was held today.
He said: “It wasn’t as straight forward as voting yes or no. Members had to vote on different conditions.
“The current industrial action is still in situ. We will be meeting members on Tuesday and Wednesday and reveal the result on Wednesday afternoon.”
He added that if workers decided to reject the council’s proposal, the industrial action would be “substantial”.
More to come.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Travel Watch Live
- Sentenced to life: Royal Marine from Brighton who shot wounded Afghan in cold blood
- Updated: "Biscuit tin" bomb hoaxer hunted in Brighton
- Sussex business winners line up to take top honours
- Severe flooding in Shoreham after River Adur bursts its banks
Comments are closed on this article.