Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Jury retires in Ty Medland trial accused of murdering wife Sam Medland
A jury has retired in the case of a man accused of stabbing his wife to death in the street.
Ty Medland, 26, of Cavell Avenue, Peacehaven, denies murder but admits manslaughter.
Lewes Crown Court was previously told how Samantha Medland, 24, who was living in Norfolk Square, Brighton, at the time of her death, was stabbed with knives she and her husband had been given as a wedding present.
Medland, described as “petulant” and “self-centred” by Richard Barton, prosecuting, attacked her after they met outside her place of work in Queen Square, Brighton, on February 17.
As police arrived at 8.50pm – about seven minutes after the incident started – he reportedly said: “I just want to die”.
Mr Barton said: “If, as he told his friends in text messages shortly before, his intention had been first to murder his wife and then afterwards kill himself, it is noteworthy that he succeeded comprehensively in the former, and failed miserably in the latter."
Mr Barton told the court shortly before Medland met Sam in Brighton, he had left a message on his Facebook page calling her: “A cheating, lying, unloyal w****, who destroyed everything I love and believe in.”
Medland – who slashed his wrists and stabbed himself in the leg after the incident, told the court, said: “I was trying to shame her.
“I didn’t know whether me killing myself would have much of an impact on her, so I decided to do something which would cause her emotional pain.”
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Boxing clever on Brighton's homeless crisis
- Car collision on cliff's edge at Telscombe
- Woman subjected to "serious sexual assault" on beach
- Brighton's Blind Tiger Club asking punters to save it from closure
- First World War medals burgled
Comments are closed on this article.