Warning after firefighters deal with to two early morning calls in Brighton and Hove (From The Argus)
Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Warning after firefighters deal with to two early morning calls in Brighton and Hove
2:40pm Saturday 27th July 2013 in News
Firefighters are warning of the dangers of cooking a meal at home after a night out.
Crews were called to two separate incidents at around the same time this morning after people fell asleep while leaving food to heat up.
Around a dozen residents had to be evacuated from a four storey building in Regency Square, Brighton, at 3.25am.
A pan left on top of a cooker in a ground floor flat overheated and heavy smoke spread through the building, setting off the fire alarms.
Firefighters from Preston Circus in Brighton were called to deal with the incident and nobody was hurt.
At around 3.30am, Hove firefighters were called to a basement flat in St Aubyn's after a man fell asleep while cooking poached eggs.
An East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: “We would advise people that if you have been out late, it is not a good idea to start cooking in the early hours of the morning.
“There is always a risk of falling asleep and then a fire can start.
“This time there were no injuries because luckily there were fire alarms in place but it could have been a lot worse.”
- Lifelong cyclist dies after crashing into a fence
- UPDATE: Worthing flat fire broke out in large cannabis factory
- Gay Brighton couple to have the city's first ever same-sex wedding
- Crawley-based security giant to lose multi-million Government contract
- Worthing rowers keen to get back in the boat days after dramatic rescue
Comments are closed on this article.