Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Mass brawl hours after opening of £2.2m redevelopment of The Level in Brighton
A city park’s grand reopening was marred by a mass brawl just hours later.
Around 20 youths fought with broken bottles on The Level on Friday evening following the unveiling of a £2.2million makeover.
But yesterday the park was abuzz with happy children and parents, who praised the transformation.
Police said they were called to The Level on Friday night following a report of a fight.
One man called police after he was slashed on the head by flying glass at around 11.10pm.
Green councillor Ben Duncan also claimed to have seen people smoking cannabis in the park just hours after it opened.
He tweeted: “Delighted to see The Level being used to host reggae and weed-fuelled gatherings in sunshine already – it’s only been open three hours!”
When asked for further information, the councillor, who took a self-imposed Twitter holiday earlier this year after a number of controversial tweets, declined to elaborate.
Yesterday afternoon hundreds of children played in the sunshine and parents relaxed on the grass.
A Sussex Police community support officer told The Argus there had been no problems over the weekend.
She said: “It’s been a lovely day. We have been here since 9am this morning and there’s been no trouble. There are no street drinkers around or anything like that.
“We did have a problem with a few of the older kids swearing at the skate park but we soon sorted that out.”
Friday’s official opening of the playground and the skatepark came after nine months of hard graft and a construction bill of £2.2 million.
The park will open fully in September with a blooming sensory garden, fountains and a new cafe.
Parents said the new park had been designed to keep adults happy as well as the youngsters.
Anyone with information on Friday night’s mass brawl is asked to call police on 101 or the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
THE ARGUS SAYS...
Too often, grand plans for Brighton and Hove fail to make it off the drawing board.
But it’s clear the revamp of The Level has been a resounding success so far.
Families flocked to the park over the weekend and marvelled at its ingenuity and beauty.
But it is important that troublemakers do not return to blight The Level again.
Friday night was a warning of the potential problems ahead.
Let’s hope this excellent makeover stands the test of time.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Our heroes on the streets - veterans among rising homeless in Brighton and Hove
- Fish die after "significant" pollution incidents hit West Sussex
- Rogue lorry drivers targeted in smuggling crackdown
- Kitty in the City needs new van
- Bank robbers strike in Haywards Heath
Comments are closed on this article.