Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Vandals cause thousands of pounds worth of damage at Lewes supermarket
9:00am Wednesday 7th August 2013 in News
Vandals who climbed a roof and tampered with electrics have caused hundreds of pounds of damage.
Members of staff at Waitrose, in Eastgate Street, Lewes, were forced to throw away stock after someone tampered with the electrics at the store, resulting in a gas leak.
Staff at the store called fire crews after detecting the leak at 3am on Sunday. Fire crews from Barcombe, Hove and Lewes arrived at the store and quickly had the incident under control.
No members of staff were affected.
Chief Inspector Jason Tingley, Lewes district commander, said: “We take incidents like this really seriously considering the impact on Waitrose and their customers.
“I would urge anyone with any information to come forward, as it is very likely that the offenders are local.”
Waitrose confirmed that the vandals gained access by the roof. Three compressors for the refrigerators were damaged, meaning that the store was forced to throw away products.
A spokeswoman for Sussex Police said: “The Waitrose in Lewes had a gas leak, which we were informed about by East Sussex Fire and Rescue at 3.14am on August 4.”
A Waitrose spokesman said: “We called the fire service after detecting a refrigeration fault caused by a person tampering with the external units.
“We’re grateful to the emergency services for their prompt response and as a precaution took the affected products off the shelves.”
Comments are closed on this article.