Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Teen left his victim for dead in ‘vicious’ attack in Brighton street
A teenager has admitted beating a man within inches of death during a night-time spree of violence.
The 36-year-old victim was left for dead after being assaulted in St James’s Street, Kemp Town, Brighton, late at night on October 26 last year by then 17-year-old Vinny Haworth, who can be named for the first time today.
Jobless Haworth, now 18, of Lynchet Close, Hollingdean, Brighton, beat the man so severely police feared he would die.
He was raced to specialist brain injury hospital Hurstwood Park Neurosciences Centre in Haywards Heath and put in a medicallyinduced coma for several months.
His son, speaking at the time, said: “He has major head injuries and bleeding of the brain but nothing else.
“We’re still hoping he can pull through.”
Yesterday at Lewes Crown Court, just days before his trial was due to start, Haworth admitted grievous bodily harm (GBH).
Haworth also changed his pleas to three other offences, admitting robbing a man in his 20s in Washington Street, Hanover, and actual bodily harm (ABH) against a third victim in the same street.
The offences took place just hours after the GBH. The victims suffered cuts and bruises.
Haworth also admitted ABH against the landlord of Easy Bar in Cranbourne Street, off Churchill Square, Brighton, on the same day.
He hit the landlord in the back of the head at 12.45am – between attacking one man in Kemp Town and robbing another in Hanover.
His friend Max Corbett, 18 at the time of the offences, of Albany Villas, Hove, admitted robbery of the man in Washington Street to whom Haworth has nowadmitted causing ABH.
Jobless Corbett also pleaded guilty to causing ABH to a man in Washington Street, the same man Haworth yesterday admitted he had robbed.
Corbett also admitted possession of the horse tranquiliser ketamine on the same date.
Superintendent Nick May, who led the investigation at the time, said the attack on the Kemp Town man – who was walking with his friends – was “vicious”.
Haworth was remanded in custody and will be sentenced at Lewes Crown Court on September 6.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Murder investigation launched following huge fire which killed man, 24, and led to four others needing treatment
- Travel Watch Live
- Jury in Ricardo Pisano case retires for fourth day
- Hard hitting course launched to improve alcohol awareness
- Your Interview: send us your questions for Trevor Love
Comments are closed on this article.