A healthy 26-year-old had to have his arms and legs amputated after he was stabbed outside a party.

Ernest Moyo, who has no recollection of the incident, was knifed three times in Pavilion Road, Worthing, at 12.30pm exactly a year ago tomorrow.

He nearly died and spent 26 days in intensive care and many more in the Royal Sussex County Hospital following the incident, jurors at Hove Crown Court were told.

Surgeons were forced to amputate his limbs after he developed septicaemia.

The party was organised on Facebook by a girl whose parents were abroad.

Patrick Brookes, 26, of Clifton Road, Worthing, his brother Dominic Brookes, 18, who was staying with his brother at the time of the incident, a 17-year-old boy from Worthing who cannot be named for legal reasons and Jeremiah Reynolds, 25, of London, deny grevious bodily harm with intent.

Jonathan Davies, opening the case at Hove Crown Court, said Mr Moyo was “unarmed” when he was stabbed during the party at Sethu Dlamini's parents' home.

Miss Dlamini's mother and father were away when she invited a number of friends to her home, he said.

But a fight broke out over a missing mobile phone which was being used to play music, Mr Davies said.

He said Mr Moyo spoke to people in the garden - including Patrick Brookes - about this and an argument ensued, leading to him being stabbed with an Ikea knife.

Mr Davies said Mr Moyo's brother Enos saw what happened. He said: “Patrick was standing in the doorway to the house and he ran at Ernest.

“Ernest was facing the house and he was bent over, punching out at three guys that went to the front of him and who were attacking him.

“The three were Patrick Brookes, Dominic Brookes and a male that Enos did not know.

“This male had a belt wrapped around his hand and the buckle hanging down.

“He was repeatedly hitting Ernest in the face with his clenched right hand which was holding the belt.

“Patrick Brookes and Dominic Brookes were punching with hands and arms in Ernest's chest and lower body.”

Mr Davies added: “Enos could see Ernest was bleeding from the chest and his left leg was wet with blood.”

A number of partygoers called 999 and both Sussex Police and paramedics were called.

Mr Davies said: “As a result of what happened to him and the necessary treatment to keep him alive he sustained irreversible damage to the blood supply of his hands and feet.

“This has resulted of the amputation of all four of his limbs.”

The trial continues.

See the latest news headlines from The Argus:

More news from The Argus

Follow @brightonargus

The Argus: Daily Echo on Facebook - facebook.com/southerndailyecho Like us on Facebook

The Argus: Google+ Add us to your circles on Google+