Hove father and son lived for more than a week with dead bodies of mother and daughter (From The Argus)
Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Hove father and son lived for more than a week with dead bodies of mother and daughter
A father and son are believed to have lived with the bodies of their mother and daughter for more than a week after the pair died suddenly.
Heartbroken Richard and Ralph Nance did not call the emergency services after Maria and Jane Nance died on July 27 and 28 respectively.
Officers were only called to the quiet cul-de-sac in Gladys Road, Hove, on the lunchtime of August 6 when a family member, understood to be Ralph – Maria’s son and Jane’s brother – called the police and broke the sad news that two members of his close family had died.
The mother and daughter’s deaths are not being treated as suspicious.
Early indications are that the pair, aged 80 and 48, died of natural causes and the timing of their deaths is a coincidence.
Police believe the delayed call for help was probably because the father and son were in shock.
They have not been arrested and there is no suggestion they will be.
Mr Nance senior answered the door of his detached home yesterday but he declined to speak.
A neighbour said he received a note, which he understood to be from Ralph, which referred to the pair’s deaths.
He said: “It said that both Maria and Jane had died and that the police had suggested they move out for a bit, in case they had died of something contagious.
“I think myself and another neighbour received that note.
“The family, Richard, Maria, Ralph and Jane, live together.
“They are nice but very quiet – they are very religious.”
Another neighbour said: “I saw the police bring out two bodies and I was shocked – I know the daughter was not that old. It’s bizarre and sad.
“I did not know what had happened. I just knew the police had been waiting outside.”
A Sussex Police spokesman said: “Post-mortems will take place to establish the causes of their deaths.
“There is nothing to suggest that the women had contracted contagious diseases.
“The house was sealed off as a precaution after we were contacted, in case there had been a carbon monoxide poisoning leak or something similar that could have led to the deaths.
“Once that was ruled out the two male residents were allowed back into the property.”
- Murder investigation launched following huge fire which killed man, 24, and led to four others needing treatment
- Drunk fools can attend course to avoid £90 fine
- Your Interview: send us your questions for Trevor Love
- £79 million plans for City College Brighton and Hove approved by councillors
- Jury in rent boy murder trial retire for fourth day
Comments are closed on this article.