Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Second seesaw in Brighton and Hove cordoned off after children injured
12:00pm Wednesday 14th August 2013 in News
A second seesaw has been cordoned off from the public at a council-run park.
A giant wooden seesaw has been roped off in Wish Park in Hove just days after a young girl broke her leg using a similar style seesaw at The Level in Brighton.
Residents have contacted The Argus to say they raised concerns to park staff about The Level’s seesaw a week before six-year-old Isabelle Moss broke her leg.
However, council officials have said there is no evidence the seesaw is dangerous and advised parents to closely monitor their children while playing on park equipment.
Yesterday, The Argus reported that young Isabelle is facing a summer in plaster after breaking her leg at The Level last week.
Residents have now told The Argus about several injuries sustained by children using a similar large seesaw in Wish Park including a boy of primary school age who chipped his tooth.
The cordoned-off seesaw in Wish Park
Mother-of-three Jean Wills- Taylor from Bevendean told The Argus she had warned park staff about The Level seesaw on Friday, August 2 after seeing three children injured in an hour using the equipment.
She said: “It was an accident waiting to happen and when I told staff they said they would do something.
“We told staff ‘this little girl is crying, the seesaw has just smashed that little girl’s foot’.
“The girl who broke her leg did not need to be injured if they had taken action.”
A Brighton and Hove City Council spokesman said the council had no other seesaws of the same manufacture as The Level equipment and could not confirm if any other seesaws had been cordoned off.
He added: “There is no evidence this equipment is dangerous in itself but we’re checking with the supplier to ensure there is nothing we have overlooked and we will keep the seesaw fenced off until we receive confirmation of its safety or otherwise.
“As manufactured it complies with rigorous EU safety standards and was independently checked before the park was opened.
“Children’s playgrounds are designed to provide an element of excitement and adventure, and to encourage children to stretch and explore their abilities.
“However, we would encourage the parents and carers of young children to closely supervise their children’s activities and ensure the equipment is being used appropriately.”
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- London man sought in hotel rape investigation
- Crawley man jailed for string of child sex offences
- Travel Watch Live
- Man seriously injured in Shoreham machete attack
- Sussex pub criticised over sign appearing to mock Glagow helicopter tragedy
Comments are closed on this article.