Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Tornado spotted off the Eastbourne coast
10:23am Monday 9th September 2013 in News
A mini tornado was spotted off the coast of Eastbourne yesterday.
Lauren Hall, 23, of Toronto Terrace, Brighton, was on her way to visit her family in Eastbourne when she saw the unusual sight.
She said: “I didn’t see too much – just a big bunch of dark clouds in the shape of a tornado.
“I said to my boyfriend ‘that looks like a tornado’ and now it looks like it’s been confirmed.”
Craig Snell, of the Met office, said the frequent showers Sussex has experienced over the past few days were to blame.
He added: “As this one was over sea it’s called a waterspout and is caused when thunder clouds start spinning.
“Tornados and waterspouts can occur at any time of year, usually when we have thunder storms.”
- Santa bus in Woodingdean tonight
- Cliff edge driver arrested for drink driving
- Appeal after driver fails to stop after A27 collision
- A27 collision causing traffic hold-ups
- Copthorne care home residents at risk - after 19 died at previous home
Comments are closed on this article.