Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Brighton's Beach of the Dead zombie walk cancelled over health and safety fears
Groaning zombies will not be lurching along Brighton's streets this year after an annual march was cancelled.
The Beach of the Dead parade will not go ahead in October due to spiralling costs and safety fears.
Organisers said the popular event had become “a victim of its own success” after more than 6000 groaning corpses turned up last year.
Kate Amer, who led the first march in 2008, blamed an increase in stewarding and medical costs and event insurance for the decision to cancel this year's parade.
Did this story make you chuckle? Here are some more recent quirkies to tickle your fancy:
- Hastings white witch’s warning over Halloween cons
- East Preston buggy rider’s torrent of abuse from drivers
- Hula hoop flashmob proposal has Brighton lovebirds engaged
- Horsham teenager dresses as chicken to give out hundreds of free bars on chocolate
- Nail-biting attempt for world record attempt at Worthing beauty salon
She said: “It just costs too much and takes up too much time. Last year it all went way over the £2,000 budget.
“We just didn't expect the sheer amount of people that turned up. It was ridiculous.
“We have had to go back to the drawing board because otherwise it would be too unsafe.”
The march founder added the event will “probably” be back next year - but only if she can find a way to attract new funding.
She said: “I hope it will be on next year but I can't say yes or no.”
A rival march has already been organised by the Caroline of Brunswick pub on Ditchling Road, Brighton, on October 26 at 3pm.
Zombies will parade around The Level and along Marine Parade before ending back at the pub for a spooky party.
Comments are closed on this article.