Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Hove pitch and putt may return after homeless killing
A neglected seafront site where a homeless man was bludgeoned to death could soon begin operating as a pitch and putt golf course again.
The Argus understands a local pitch and putt operating firm has expressed an interest to Brighton and Hove City Council in taking on the site off Kingsway, Hove.
The course has been abandoned and neglected for more than a year and homeless people had been sleeping in the adjoining arches intermittently since October 2011.
In February, the battered body of homeless man Lea Williams was discovered lying under a blanket in one of the arches.
Five months later, Brighton and Hove City Council installed metal gates across the ten arches to prevent people from sleeping there.
It is hoped that the course will reopen in spring next year.
Local Conservative ward councillor Graham Cox said: “Since the pitch and putt stopped operating, people have started using the arches for camping and it became run down and then people started using it as their dog’s toilet and it just kept going down and down.
“Partly as a result of gating the arches, I understand that there is an operator who has expressed an interest in taking on the site.
“I think it’s a positive move. “It will brighten up this pitch and putt area, provide at least one person with a job and the council will have a bit of money.
“It’s win, win, win as far as I am concerned.”
A Brighton and Hove City Council spokeswoman said: “The council is currently in talks with an operator to reopen the pitch and putt on Hove seafront.
“We are not able to name the firm at this stage but we can confirm it is an established course operator and we hope to reopen next spring.
“The course was closed at the end of last season and was due to be let for this current season, however due to problems associated with the open arches, which have now been resolved by fitting gates, these plans were delayed.”
Lauren Bishop, 36 of Seaford, Michael John Clark, 52 of Trafalgar Street in Brighton, and Edward Phillips, 44, are to appear at Lewes Crown Court on September 30 charged in connection with Mr Williams’ murder.
- Man seriously injured in Shoreham machete attack
- Sussex boffins discover why koalas have such deep voices
- 23-year-old woman 'raped' by stranger on the beach
- Peer calls for Boxing Day trains
- Anniversary tribute to Sir Patrick Moore
Comments are closed on this article.