Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Lord Tebbit demands action over PM's sick Brighton bombing tweet blunder
A survivor of the Brighton bombing has demanded “action” over a blundering online message which was apparently ‘favourited’ by the Prime Minister.
Lord Tebbit will write to David Cameron to protest against the “offensive” post which appeared on his official Twitter account on Sunday.
The tweet, which suggested an image of Mr Tebbit being lifted from the Brighton bomb wreckage looked like he was enjoying sex, was apparently ticked as a ‘favourite’, similar to liking in Facebook, by Mr Cameron.
- Boxing clever on Brighton's homeless crisis
- Missing Eastbourne man found safe and well
- Car collision on cliff's edge at Telscombe
- Woman subjected to "serious sexual assault" on beach
- Brighton's Blind Tiger Club asking punters to save it from closure
Downing Street struggled to explain the blunder, which happened after the Prime Minister expressed support for the victims of the terrorist attacks in Kenya.
The tweet received dozens of responses, including one which read: “David Cameron please call off William Hague, hasn’t Kenya suffered enough today?”
The account used an image of Lord Tebbit being lifted from the wreckage of the bombed Grand hotel in 1984 in which five people died and his wife was left disabled.
The name of the account suggested the picture of a distressed and bloodied Lord Tebbit was taken while he was enjoying sex.
Mr Cameron’s account then ‘favourited’ the bizarre reply, making it the only tweet to be singled out in this way since the Prime Minister joined Twitter a year ago.
Downing Street insisted it had been a “mistake”, but was unable to confirm whether the error had been made by Mr Cameron himself or one of his staff.
Lord Tebbit told The Argus he would be writing to Mr Cameron over the “offensive” message, adding: “I must say I don’t Twitter nor Tweet myself but I shall certainly be writing to the Prime Minister to suggest that he enquires into what happened.
“He must discipline whoever it was that acted in his name and on his authority in such an offensive manner.”
A Downing Street spokes-man said: “This is a deeply offensive account that the Prime Minister would never want to be associated with.
“Clearly the Tweet was fav-ourited by mistake and was removed as soon as it was realised.”
Comments are closed on this article.