Unattended chip pan fire causes damage to sheltered accommodation in Crawley

The Argus: Unattended chip pan fire causes damage to sheltered accommodation in Crawley Unattended chip pan fire causes damage to sheltered accommodation in Crawley

Fire fighters were called to sheltered accommodation to extinguish a chip pan fire that had got out of control.

The crew from Red Watch in Crawley Fire Station were called to the property in Horsham Road, Crawley, at about 8.15pm yesterday after being called by tenants.

It took fire fighters an hour and a half to tackle the blaze using four breathing apparatus.

The majority of the kitchen was damaged by smoke, with 25% of it severely damaged by fire.

Additionally, the adjoining dining room area was damaged by the smoke billowing from the unattended chip pan.

Crew commander Justin Bomyer said although the tenants did the right thing in throwing a fire blanket over the blaze, it could have been avoided had the cooking not been left unattended.

He said: "The fire started when whoever was cooking had become distracted.

"Our message is do not leave cooking unattended - that's massive.

"But they got everyone out of the building safely after throwing the blanket over it and were able to give us all the details we needed before entering, which was brilliant."

Comments (3)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:51am Thu 5 Dec 13

Mr Baxter , London says...

Probably some 'old duffer' tring to gently stir fry his slippers whilst walking around the kitchen in 2 pitta breads
Probably some 'old duffer' tring to gently stir fry his slippers whilst walking around the kitchen in 2 pitta breads Mr Baxter , London

10:04pm Thu 5 Dec 13

whoee! says...

Mr Baxter , London wrote:
Probably some 'old duffer' tring to gently stir fry his slippers whilst walking around the kitchen in 2 pitta breads
lol
[quote][p][bold]Mr Baxter , London[/bold] wrote: Probably some 'old duffer' tring to gently stir fry his slippers whilst walking around the kitchen in 2 pitta breads[/p][/quote]lol whoee!

10:07pm Thu 5 Dec 13

whoee! says...

Probably sitting out the back around a lit dustbin with a few super tenants lol Completely forgot about his cooking slippers hahahahaha
Probably sitting out the back around a lit dustbin with a few super tenants lol Completely forgot about his cooking slippers hahahahaha whoee!

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree