Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Delight as Sussex powerlifters strike gold
5:00am Saturday 14th December 2013 in News
A volunteer trainer is overjoyed that two of his weightlifters have won gold at the Special Olympics.
Terry Vine, 40, from Lullington Avenue in Hove, and Keith Purcell, 41, from Westcourt Road in Worthing, took part in the National Powerlifting Championships in Bradford last month.
Both won gold in their respective weight classes and Mr Vine also achieved a new record in his age category.
James Kerr, 85, who has been training the men for 16 years, said: “I’m very proud. It was very unexpected as the competition was fierce.”
The men train at Fitness First gym in Queens Park, Brighton, and Cheetahs Gym in the King Alfred leisure centre, Hove. On November 29, the men were invited to an awards ceremony at Brighton’s Grand hotel, where the Brighton and Hove Special Olympics squad was named Team of the Year.
- Bottles and paint thrown from squat at Brighton church
- Cyclist fighting for life following Brighton seafront bus shelter crash
- Bradley Murdoch reportedly drops appeal following conviction for murdering Peter Falconio
- Hand grenade discovered in garden
- Brighton and Hove one of UK's least affordable places to live
Comments are closed on this article.