Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Attackers who shot man in eye at site of Battle of Hastings jailed for 20 years
Two men who shot another man in the eye at the site of the Battle of Hastings have been jailed for a combined total of 20 years.
Isaac Fuller lost his eye after being shot in the face with a catapult at Battle Abbey - the presumed site of the historic battle - on May 24 this year.
One of the attackers - Eli King - was jailed on Monday at Brighton Crown Court, alongside Anthony Adams.
Both King and Adams are 23, and of Darvel Down, Netherfield, Battle.
The court was told the incident took place at the entrance to the abbey, where it is believed the battle which saw King Harold lose his eye after being shot with an arrow in 1066 took place.
King who denied grievous bodily harm with intent was jailed for 12 years, while Adams who admitted the same offence was jailed for eight years.
During the trial Mr Fuller, who also lost his teeth in the incident, said he feared for his life.
Opening the case, earlier this month prosecutor Janice Brennan said after the attack Mr Fuller was “completely covered in blood”.
She said: “He was battered and bruised, had lost his teeth and had completely lost his left eye.”
She described the men who attacked Mr Fuller as “thugs” who had shocked the local “townsfolk” of the typically “genial” Battle.
After the case a Sussex Police statement said: “King and Adams fired ball bearings pellet from catapults at the victim and one of the ball bearing hit him in the eye blinding him. He ended up losing his eye.”
Detective Sergeant Paul Graham said: "The sentences Adams and King received reflect the seriousness of the assault. The victim suffered a sustained attack which resulted in life changing injuries.
"The long jail sentences send out a message that this sort of behaviour will not be tolerated."
Comments are closed on this article.