Firefighters urge shopkeepers to be more vigilant after Brighton shop fire

The Argus: Firefighters urge shopkeepers to be more vigilant after Brighton shop fire Firefighters urge shopkeepers to be more vigilant after Brighton shop fire

Firefighters are calling on shop owners to be more cautious over how they deal with their rubbish over the festive period after a suspected arson attack destroyed the front of a mobile phone shop.

Two engines and the aerial ladder platform from Preston Circus Community Fire Station were called to the EE shop on Western Road, opposite Churchill Square at 6am to extinguish a deliberately-started fire.

Rubbish that had been left out overnight had been torched and fire crews battled for 40 minutes to tackle the blaze which destroyed the shop’s front door and caused smoke damage inside.

Station manager Glen Stevens said: “This sort of thing happens at this time every year.

“The nature of the stuff shops are throwing out, such as flammable boxes and packaging, means shop owner have to be extra careful with how they dispose of the waste.

“At this time of year more people are going out and having a drink and unfortunately some people just think it’s funny to set these bags alight.

“Sometimes it can be something as innocent as discarding a cigarette, but in the majority of cases it’s deliberately started.

“Our advice to shopkeepers is to either dispose of their waste in a secure location away from the shop or, even better, leave the rubbish locked up in the shop and get whoever is first into the office to put it out.”

There were no reported injuries and the incident has now been passed to the police.

Anyone with any information on the incident should call Sussex Police on 101.

Comments (3)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:52am Thu 19 Dec 13

power_ranger says...

Ooooh, a new generic red fire engine picture.
Someone's splashing out for xmas :D
Ooooh, a new generic red fire engine picture. Someone's splashing out for xmas :D power_ranger

7:55pm Thu 19 Dec 13

bunnybunny says...

We passed this shop this morning and it was clearly bedding and assorted junk that had been torched not shop waste.
We passed this shop this morning and it was clearly bedding and assorted junk that had been torched not shop waste. bunnybunny

6:07am Fri 20 Dec 13

OP8 says...

I imagine a customer was upset over their pathetic attempts to bring 4G to Brighton and Hove
I imagine a customer was upset over their pathetic attempts to bring 4G to Brighton and Hove OP8

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree