Four men arrested on suspicion of 'gang rape' of woman in Brighton

The Argus: Four men arrested on suspicion of 'gang rape' of woman in Brighton Four men arrested on suspicion of 'gang rape' of woman in Brighton

Four men have been arrested on suspicion of raping a Brighton woman.

Sussex Police said yesterday: "At 6am this morning police received a report of the rape of a local woman, aged 28, at a house in Charlotte Street, Brighton.

"The woman had been to a nightclub with friends that night."

Detective Inspector Steve Warner said: "We are working with agencies to offer the woman all the support she needs.

"We are at the early stages of the investigation and are still establishing the circumstances. Four local men in their 20s are currently helping police with enquiries."

A spokeswoman confirmed the men had been arrested on suspicion of rape.

Comments (21)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:32am Thu 19 Dec 13

s&k says...

It just beggars belief what's happening in this city.
It just beggars belief what's happening in this city. s&k

11:40am Thu 19 Dec 13

Brighton1000 says...

What the **** is going on in this town???????????

I know exactly what is causing this, Cocaine and Ketamine and other 'social' drugs. Young people get into a total state and keep going and going fuelled with drugs, This is why people in this town are commiting such disgusting sex offences. These guys are in their 20's what on earth were they thinking? And the poor girl, I assume they were all friends if she went back with 4 lads to a house? Beggars belief it really does, This town needs a seriously clamp down on drug usage, It is the catalyst from most crimes commited.
What the **** is going on in this town??????????? I know exactly what is causing this, Cocaine and Ketamine and other 'social' drugs. Young people get into a total state and keep going and going fuelled with drugs, This is why people in this town are commiting such disgusting sex offences. These guys are in their 20's what on earth were they thinking? And the poor girl, I assume they were all friends if she went back with 4 lads to a house? Beggars belief it really does, This town needs a seriously clamp down on drug usage, It is the catalyst from most crimes commited. Brighton1000

11:45am Thu 19 Dec 13

FC says...

Brighton1000 wrote:
What the **** is going on in this town???????????

I know exactly what is causing this, Cocaine and Ketamine and other 'social' drugs. Young people get into a total state and keep going and going fuelled with drugs, This is why people in this town are commiting such disgusting sex offences. These guys are in their 20's what on earth were they thinking? And the poor girl, I assume they were all friends if she went back with 4 lads to a house? Beggars belief it really does, This town needs a seriously clamp down on drug usage, It is the catalyst from most crimes commited.
"I assume they were all friends if she went back with 4 lads to a house"

I doubt it. This could be stupidity personified, not that it justifies in any way what those c***s did.
[quote][p][bold]Brighton1000[/bold] wrote: What the **** is going on in this town??????????? I know exactly what is causing this, Cocaine and Ketamine and other 'social' drugs. Young people get into a total state and keep going and going fuelled with drugs, This is why people in this town are commiting such disgusting sex offences. These guys are in their 20's what on earth were they thinking? And the poor girl, I assume they were all friends if she went back with 4 lads to a house? Beggars belief it really does, This town needs a seriously clamp down on drug usage, It is the catalyst from most crimes commited.[/p][/quote]"I assume they were all friends if she went back with 4 lads to a house" I doubt it. This could be stupidity personified, not that it justifies in any way what those c***s did. FC

12:05pm Thu 19 Dec 13

oh dear says...

FC wrote:
Brighton1000 wrote: What the **** is going on in this town??????????? I know exactly what is causing this, Cocaine and Ketamine and other 'social' drugs. Young people get into a total state and keep going and going fuelled with drugs, This is why people in this town are commiting such disgusting sex offences. These guys are in their 20's what on earth were they thinking? And the poor girl, I assume they were all friends if she went back with 4 lads to a house? Beggars belief it really does, This town needs a seriously clamp down on drug usage, It is the catalyst from most crimes commited.
"I assume they were all friends if she went back with 4 lads to a house" I doubt it. This could be stupidity personified, not that it justifies in any way what those c***s did.
I really wish they'd disable the comments on rape/sexual assault reports. The instant victim blaming makes me do a sick in my mouth and get angry every time. It wasn't her fault. You can't make someone rape you. Blame rapists for rape. It is dangerous and misleading to put the emphasis on the woman/victim's behaviour; rape doesn't discriminate. I should be ok with having to spend more by getting a taxi home to stop myself being raped than a mman might have to? I should be ok with knowing if I were to be raped then my behaviour before and after, my outfit, my choices would be picked apart moreso than receiving any genuine concern/outrage as to the impact of it and how prolific this crime still is? No wonder it is still so prolific with responses like this as wasting time addressing the victim does little to deter the perpetrators and will seek to collude with that behaviour and seep into the attitudes of the jurys deciding on cases.
[quote][p][bold]FC[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Brighton1000[/bold] wrote: What the **** is going on in this town??????????? I know exactly what is causing this, Cocaine and Ketamine and other 'social' drugs. Young people get into a total state and keep going and going fuelled with drugs, This is why people in this town are commiting such disgusting sex offences. These guys are in their 20's what on earth were they thinking? And the poor girl, I assume they were all friends if she went back with 4 lads to a house? Beggars belief it really does, This town needs a seriously clamp down on drug usage, It is the catalyst from most crimes commited.[/p][/quote]"I assume they were all friends if she went back with 4 lads to a house" I doubt it. This could be stupidity personified, not that it justifies in any way what those c***s did.[/p][/quote]I really wish they'd disable the comments on rape/sexual assault reports. The instant victim blaming makes me do a sick in my mouth and get angry every time. It wasn't her fault. You can't make someone rape you. Blame rapists for rape. It is dangerous and misleading to put the emphasis on the woman/victim's behaviour; rape doesn't discriminate. I should be ok with having to spend more by getting a taxi home to stop myself being raped than a mman might have to? I should be ok with knowing if I were to be raped then my behaviour before and after, my outfit, my choices would be picked apart moreso than receiving any genuine concern/outrage as to the impact of it and how prolific this crime still is? No wonder it is still so prolific with responses like this as wasting time addressing the victim does little to deter the perpetrators and will seek to collude with that behaviour and seep into the attitudes of the jurys deciding on cases. oh dear

12:23pm Thu 19 Dec 13

jamus77 says...

Good God what is happening to Brighton!
Good God what is happening to Brighton! jamus77

1:07pm Thu 19 Dec 13

Fight_Back says...

I would suggest we all wait for the police, CPS and courts to do their jobs before commenting.
I would suggest we all wait for the police, CPS and courts to do their jobs before commenting. Fight_Back

1:13pm Thu 19 Dec 13

Number Six says...

Fight_Back wrote:
I would suggest we all wait for the police, CPS and courts to do their jobs before commenting.
What! On this board? Some hopes. What would everybody do with their pitchforks and nooses?
[quote][p][bold]Fight_Back[/bold] wrote: I would suggest we all wait for the police, CPS and courts to do their jobs before commenting.[/p][/quote]What! On this board? Some hopes. What would everybody do with their pitchforks and nooses? Number Six

1:47pm Thu 19 Dec 13

Brighton1000 says...

oh dear wrote:
FC wrote:
Brighton1000 wrote: What the **** is going on in this town??????????? I know exactly what is causing this, Cocaine and Ketamine and other 'social' drugs. Young people get into a total state and keep going and going fuelled with drugs, This is why people in this town are commiting such disgusting sex offences. These guys are in their 20's what on earth were they thinking? And the poor girl, I assume they were all friends if she went back with 4 lads to a house? Beggars belief it really does, This town needs a seriously clamp down on drug usage, It is the catalyst from most crimes commited.
"I assume they were all friends if she went back with 4 lads to a house" I doubt it. This could be stupidity personified, not that it justifies in any way what those c***s did.
I really wish they'd disable the comments on rape/sexual assault reports. The instant victim blaming makes me do a sick in my mouth and get angry every time. It wasn't her fault. You can't make someone rape you. Blame rapists for rape. It is dangerous and misleading to put the emphasis on the woman/victim's behaviour; rape doesn't discriminate. I should be ok with having to spend more by getting a taxi home to stop myself being raped than a mman might have to? I should be ok with knowing if I were to be raped then my behaviour before and after, my outfit, my choices would be picked apart moreso than receiving any genuine concern/outrage as to the impact of it and how prolific this crime still is? No wonder it is still so prolific with responses like this as wasting time addressing the victim does little to deter the perpetrators and will seek to collude with that behaviour and seep into the attitudes of the jurys deciding on cases.
What an irrelavant comment? How I did I possibly even slightly blame anyone but the men involved? I didnt and wouldnt. Nothing excuses such a henous crime.
[quote][p][bold]oh dear[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]FC[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Brighton1000[/bold] wrote: What the **** is going on in this town??????????? I know exactly what is causing this, Cocaine and Ketamine and other 'social' drugs. Young people get into a total state and keep going and going fuelled with drugs, This is why people in this town are commiting such disgusting sex offences. These guys are in their 20's what on earth were they thinking? And the poor girl, I assume they were all friends if she went back with 4 lads to a house? Beggars belief it really does, This town needs a seriously clamp down on drug usage, It is the catalyst from most crimes commited.[/p][/quote]"I assume they were all friends if she went back with 4 lads to a house" I doubt it. This could be stupidity personified, not that it justifies in any way what those c***s did.[/p][/quote]I really wish they'd disable the comments on rape/sexual assault reports. The instant victim blaming makes me do a sick in my mouth and get angry every time. It wasn't her fault. You can't make someone rape you. Blame rapists for rape. It is dangerous and misleading to put the emphasis on the woman/victim's behaviour; rape doesn't discriminate. I should be ok with having to spend more by getting a taxi home to stop myself being raped than a mman might have to? I should be ok with knowing if I were to be raped then my behaviour before and after, my outfit, my choices would be picked apart moreso than receiving any genuine concern/outrage as to the impact of it and how prolific this crime still is? No wonder it is still so prolific with responses like this as wasting time addressing the victim does little to deter the perpetrators and will seek to collude with that behaviour and seep into the attitudes of the jurys deciding on cases.[/p][/quote]What an irrelavant comment? How I did I possibly even slightly blame anyone but the men involved? I didnt and wouldnt. Nothing excuses such a henous crime. Brighton1000

1:58pm Thu 19 Dec 13

s&k says...

I think everyone's agreed this is a terrible crime and our thoughts are with the victim. The question we should be asking is why this sort of crime seems to be on the increase in Brighton?
I think everyone's agreed this is a terrible crime and our thoughts are with the victim. The question we should be asking is why this sort of crime seems to be on the increase in Brighton? s&k

2:08pm Thu 19 Dec 13

Brighton1000 says...

s&k wrote:
I think everyone's agreed this is a terrible crime and our thoughts are with the victim. The question we should be asking is why this sort of crime seems to be on the increase in Brighton?
Thats what I addressed in my original post
[quote][p][bold]s&k[/bold] wrote: I think everyone's agreed this is a terrible crime and our thoughts are with the victim. The question we should be asking is why this sort of crime seems to be on the increase in Brighton?[/p][/quote]Thats what I addressed in my original post Brighton1000

2:39pm Thu 19 Dec 13

Brighton Living says...

Brighton and Hove is out of control..........
Brighton and Hove is out of control.......... Brighton Living

3:43pm Thu 19 Dec 13

Joshiman says...

It seems that Law and Order is very low priority in Brighton&Hove.Counci
l tax payers monies are being diverted to so called Vanity projects.
Residents have had enough Mr.Kitcat .Get your priorities right.
It was never as bad as this.
It seems that Law and Order is very low priority in Brighton&Hove.Counci l tax payers monies are being diverted to so called Vanity projects. Residents have had enough Mr.Kitcat .Get your priorities right. It was never as bad as this. Joshiman

3:45pm Thu 19 Dec 13

Brighton1000 says...

Joshiman wrote:
It seems that Law and Order is very low priority in Brighton&Hove.Co
unci
l tax payers monies are being diverted to so called Vanity projects.
Residents have had enough Mr.Kitcat .Get your priorities right.
It was never as bad as this.
Well said
[quote][p][bold]Joshiman[/bold] wrote: It seems that Law and Order is very low priority in Brighton&Hove.Co unci l tax payers monies are being diverted to so called Vanity projects. Residents have had enough Mr.Kitcat .Get your priorities right. It was never as bad as this.[/p][/quote]Well said Brighton1000

3:51pm Thu 19 Dec 13

Ambo Guy says...

Brighton1000 wrote:
What the **** is going on in this town???????????

I know exactly what is causing this, Cocaine and Ketamine and other 'social' drugs. Young people get into a total state and keep going and going fuelled with drugs, This is why people in this town are commiting such disgusting sex offences. These guys are in their 20's what on earth were they thinking? And the poor girl, I assume they were all friends if she went back with 4 lads to a house? Beggars belief it really does, This town needs a seriously clamp down on drug usage, It is the catalyst from most crimes commited.
You seem to assume quite a lot don't you?

Maybe wait to find out more facts before 'assuming' anything else.
[quote][p][bold]Brighton1000[/bold] wrote: What the **** is going on in this town??????????? I know exactly what is causing this, Cocaine and Ketamine and other 'social' drugs. Young people get into a total state and keep going and going fuelled with drugs, This is why people in this town are commiting such disgusting sex offences. These guys are in their 20's what on earth were they thinking? And the poor girl, I assume they were all friends if she went back with 4 lads to a house? Beggars belief it really does, This town needs a seriously clamp down on drug usage, It is the catalyst from most crimes commited.[/p][/quote]You seem to assume quite a lot don't you? Maybe wait to find out more facts before 'assuming' anything else. Ambo Guy

4:13pm Thu 19 Dec 13

Brighton1000 says...

Ambo Guy wrote:
Brighton1000 wrote:
What the **** is going on in this town???????????

I know exactly what is causing this, Cocaine and Ketamine and other 'social' drugs. Young people get into a total state and keep going and going fuelled with drugs, This is why people in this town are commiting such disgusting sex offences. These guys are in their 20's what on earth were they thinking? And the poor girl, I assume they were all friends if she went back with 4 lads to a house? Beggars belief it really does, This town needs a seriously clamp down on drug usage, It is the catalyst from most crimes commited.
You seem to assume quite a lot don't you?

Maybe wait to find out more facts before 'assuming' anything else.
Yes I do assume a lot, the same as most people who read an article? Your point is what exactly? Im 100% right that drug use is causing more and more crime, No assumptions there.
[quote][p][bold]Ambo Guy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Brighton1000[/bold] wrote: What the **** is going on in this town??????????? I know exactly what is causing this, Cocaine and Ketamine and other 'social' drugs. Young people get into a total state and keep going and going fuelled with drugs, This is why people in this town are commiting such disgusting sex offences. These guys are in their 20's what on earth were they thinking? And the poor girl, I assume they were all friends if she went back with 4 lads to a house? Beggars belief it really does, This town needs a seriously clamp down on drug usage, It is the catalyst from most crimes commited.[/p][/quote]You seem to assume quite a lot don't you? Maybe wait to find out more facts before 'assuming' anything else.[/p][/quote]Yes I do assume a lot, the same as most people who read an article? Your point is what exactly? Im 100% right that drug use is causing more and more crime, No assumptions there. Brighton1000

4:59pm Thu 19 Dec 13

John Steed says...

who cannot read????? the report says suspicion of rape, quite clearly.
who cannot read????? the report says suspicion of rape, quite clearly. John Steed

6:21pm Thu 19 Dec 13

Withdean-er says...

Charlotte Street has changed so much, with parkland and all those trees.
Charlotte Street has changed so much, with parkland and all those trees. Withdean-er

6:29pm Thu 19 Dec 13

Farawaynow says...

The catchall word 'drugs' once again, blame the legal narcotic alcohol - no we can't do that it might effect the profits of the legal drug barons and that would never do would it.

Why are clubs allowed to be open into the early hours - oh I forgot - the profit motive.
The catchall word 'drugs' once again, blame the legal narcotic alcohol - no we can't do that it might effect the profits of the legal drug barons and that would never do would it. Why are clubs allowed to be open into the early hours - oh I forgot - the profit motive. Farawaynow

7:51pm Thu 19 Dec 13

jimpy762 says...

Fight_Back wrote:
I would suggest we all wait for the police, CPS and courts to do their jobs before commenting.
Completely agree with your idea but the judiciary wouldn't appear to be that much of a deterrent in this day and age. Probably down to the rest of us to take steps to avoid mischief rather than rely on them to do their jobs.
[quote][p][bold]Fight_Back[/bold] wrote: I would suggest we all wait for the police, CPS and courts to do their jobs before commenting.[/p][/quote]Completely agree with your idea but the judiciary wouldn't appear to be that much of a deterrent in this day and age. Probably down to the rest of us to take steps to avoid mischief rather than rely on them to do their jobs. jimpy762

11:13pm Thu 19 Dec 13

nosolution says...

As a resident In Charlotte Street I am of the opinion that the alleged offences had more to with laddish, loutish behaviour and less to do with drugs-You know...the anything goes, anything for a laugh sort of attitude that is prevalent globally in certain stratas of society of most countries, not just this one...
As a resident In Charlotte Street I am of the opinion that the alleged offences had more to with laddish, loutish behaviour and less to do with drugs-You know...the anything goes, anything for a laugh sort of attitude that is prevalent globally in certain stratas of society of most countries, not just this one... nosolution

10:13am Fri 20 Dec 13

angrymonkey says...

anyone done for rape should have it cut off and jailed for a lot longer .
anyone done for rape should have it cut off and jailed for a lot longer . angrymonkey

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree