Armed police are at the scene of a suspected siege in Peacehaven.
Officers and paramedics are currently gathered outside a block of flats in Trafalgar Close off Roderick Avenue.
A man has just been led by police from the building.
The drama started at about 10.30am with neighbours gathering outside to watch but being held back by a cordon.
People were prevented from entering or leaving properties in the area.
Police dogs and officers in tactical gear are at the scene.
A police spokesman said: "Armed police officers are at a flat in Peacehaven where a man reported that a woman was being held at gunpoint on Thursday morning.
"Police were called to Beresford House in Trafalgar Close at 9.24am.
"At 10.43am a woman was brought out of the property, followed by a man at 11.10am.
"The man was arrested on suspicion of possession of an offensive weapon (a knife) and the woman has been taken to a local police station to assist police with their enquiries."
Superintendent Grenville Wilson added: "We are confident that there is no danger to the public and the incident has been contained. The allegation has not been substantiated and no firearm has been recovered at this time."
- Coach passengers able to walk away from crash with crane on A27
- VIDEO: Madness of man who stops to have his picture taken sat on the edge of 500ft cliff
- Body found on beach not being treated as suspicious
- Two taken to hospital following crash on A27
- Air ambulance called as boy, 12, is knocked over