Two separate crashes just minutes apart closed the A27.
The incidents near the Hollingbury and the Coldean turnoff happened just miles apart shortly after 9am.
The Hollingbury crash involved three vehicles including a Nissan Micra, BMW and another unnamed car.
Nobody was seriously injured.
The crash to the east saw a single car smash into the central reservation leaving debris across the road.
The driver has been taken to Brighton’s Royal Sussex County Hospital with a neck injury.
The road reopened at about 11am.
- Motorcyclist injured while trying to complete ice bucket challenge
- Man living in derelict pub: ‘I want to be king of the squatters’
- City is beacon of economic dynamism
- Brighton and Hove restaurants and bars named best in UK
- Rugby World Cup tickets to go on sale next week