Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
WEATHER UPDATE: Sussex flood defences hold firm
2:09pm Friday 3rd January 2014 in News
Sussex flood defences held firm as this afternoon’s high tide came and went.
The Environment Agency issued more than 90 flood alerts across the South East with severe flooding anticipated in Shoreham, Littlehampton and Sidlesham.
However, despite the dire warnings there was little damage to property as flood defences held firm.
In Shoreham Chris Howitt’s preparations paid off with waters failing to reach the house.
The 67-year-old who lives on High Street, said: “We put out the sandbags and stacked the furniture. Fortunately the water didn’t quite reach.
“It was much worse in December. That was during the night and there was a fair bit of damage.”
Elsewhere the weather did cause significant disruption with Littlehampton Academy closed for the day, delays on the trains and waterlogged roads.
For the full report see tomorrow’s Argus.
- Riot police raid Brighton squat after man found with head injuries
- Mystery over body found at recycling centre
- Appeal for witnesses after two men are attacked in Hastings
- Suspected burglars arrested after detectives tracks them to stolen car
- Investigation launched following violent incidents in Worthing
Comments are closed on this article.