The ArgusGunman shouted ‘kill me’ to armed police in dramatic Portslade incident (From The Argus)

Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.

Gunman shouted ‘kill me’ to armed police in dramatic Portslade incident

The Argus: A Taser A Taser

A gunman  yelled “just kill me” as he was hit by rubber bullets and blasted with electricity volts by armed police.

The incident took place in quiet Benfield Way, Portslade, leading to the road being closed for about three hours.

Witnesses said about 30 police officers surrounded the man as he was first hit with a Taser and then baton rounds.




He was restrained before being taken to hospital, Sussex Police said yesterday.

A handgun was found at the scene – in the driveway of a home belonging to a woman unconnected to the incident.

Yesterday, the woman – who asked not to be named, said: “I heard a lot of noise.”

Another neighbour, who also asked to remain anonymous, told how he had just returned home when he sawa man – understood to be the gunman – “running down the street”.

“He was being chased by a police officer armed with a Taser,” the man said.

“The road was cordoned off and the man stopped outside a house. He was Tasered and then I heard two loud bangs.

“There were rubber bullets on the road afterwards.”

He said the man was shouting “just kill me” and repeatedly referred to his child, claiming they were going to be injured.

Police said the man called 999 at about 1.25pm on Thursday and claimed he was en route to Hove to shoot someone known to him.

He was stopped in Benfield Way and first Tasered before baton rounds were deployed.Ahandgun was found at the scene.

A force spokeswoman said: “Police were called by a man threatening to harmanother man with a gun in Hove.

“Police took steps to secure the intended victim while other officers located the suspect in Benfield Way in Portslade.

“The man was Tasered but continued to resist officers and he was eventually safely restrained and arrested. The man has been taken to hospital for assessment and has been treated for minor injuries.

“A handgun was recovered from the scene. Investigations are continuing.

“This incident has been discussed by Sussex Police with the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC), but no referral has been made.

“Two baton rounds were discharged before the man was arrested.

“A 48-year-old man from Portslade, arrested for possession of a firearm with intent to injure, remains in custody today.”

Any witnesses to the incident are asked to call 101 quoting serial 585 of 2/1.


About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree