Carbon monoxide fumes after Christmas power cut may have killed Hurstpierpoint couple (From The Argus)
Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Carbon monoxide fumes after Christmas power cut may have killed Hurstpierpoint couple
An elderly couple found dead in their Hurstpierpoint home are believed to have succumbed to carbon monoxide fumes.
Kenneth Swallow, 70, and his wife, Dorothy, 71, were found dead in their home in Malthouse Lane, Hurstpierpoint, near Burgess Hill, on Boxing Day.
It is believed the fumes may have come from a generator left running overnight following a power cut.
An inquest into the couple's deaths was opened on January 3.
A Sussex Police statement said: “Shortly after midday on Boxing Day relatives found an elderly couple dead in their home in Malthouse Lane, Hurstpierpoint.
“There are no suspicious circumstances and it is thought the man and woman may have succumbed to fumes from a generator left running overnight following a power cut.
“An investigation into their deaths continues. Post-mortem examinations have been carried out."
The Haywards Heath area was hit by extensive power cuts following the Christmas storms.
The Argus will be running tributes to Mr and Mrs Swallow. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Comments are closed on this article.