Littlehampton neighbours threaten paedophile after return from prison

The Argus: Littlehampton neighbours threaten paedophile after return from prison Littlehampton neighbours threaten paedophile after return from prison

Violent threats have been made against a convicted sex offender who is believed to have returned to his home after serving half of an eight year prison sentence.

John Churchley was caught with 42,000 indecent images of children and was described as “predatory” and “dangerous” by police following his conviction in 2010.

Yesterday, residents living in the same street as Churchley's former home in Littlehampton confirmed he was back at the address and went on to name and shame him on a Facebook page.

They claim they are angry they weren't informed about his return to the property which is just half a mile from Wickbourne Infant and Nursery Community School.

Company director Churchley was arrested in 2009, then aged 56, after police discovered his involvement in a paedophile ring in Scotland.

As well as tens of thousands of indecent pictures, investigators discovered Churchley had been helping to arrange, take part in and photograph the abuse of teenage boys in the Bognor area. He also admitted four counts of sexual activity with a child.

The Argus made attempts to speak to Churchley at the address yesterday but there was no answer.

Those in nearby homes said they were not too concerned with his return despite the threats of vigilantism posted online.

One neighbour, who did not want to be named, said: “I don't like the idea of him living here but I wouldn't harm the bloke and I certainly don't agree with people making threats against him on the internet.

“There was complete shock in the neighbourhood when we first heard about him, you don't expect it on your doorstep.”

A mother-of-three living in the street said: “I think there are just so many of them that they have to live somewhere.

“I would have preferred to know if he's here so that if kids are playing out on the green, I would take a little bit more notice about what is going on.”

The release of Churchley is being handled through a Multi-Agency Public Protection (MAPA) Arrangements between police, probation, the prison service and other partners.

A MAPA spokeswoman said that all release addresses are assessed for potential risk from offender to the public and from the public to an offender and this risk is subject to review.

Under Sarah's Law, which was created following the murder of Sarah Payne whose body was found in a Pulborough field after she was killed by Roy Whiting in 2000, parents and guardians can ask the police if a person who has contact with children is a child sex offender.

The spokeswoman added: “There exists a range of powers under prison licence conditions, and registered sex offender requirements, depending on the individual case, which for example can impose strict conditions on access to communications devices, can require exclusion from particular areas and types of locality, and can prohibit contact with particular age groups or individuals.

“MAPPA panels will also consider the need to make disclosures to relevant parties in the community following a comprehensive risk assessment of each case.”

Comments (18)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:26am Tue 7 Jan 14

hyram77 says...

Mr Churchley is clearly a sick individual and I fail to understand how four years in prison will change his attitude. I'm sure he will be closely monitored now he is free in society, however, similar cases show this type of person often reoffends. The only way forward in my opinion is castration.
Mr Churchley is clearly a sick individual and I fail to understand how four years in prison will change his attitude. I'm sure he will be closely monitored now he is free in society, however, similar cases show this type of person often reoffends. The only way forward in my opinion is castration. hyram77

8:45am Tue 7 Jan 14

whatevernext2013 says...

he must be either very stupid or very brave to return to his old address ,i wonder which
he must be either very stupid or very brave to return to his old address ,i wonder which whatevernext2013

8:47am Tue 7 Jan 14

Morpheus says...

hyram77 wrote:
Mr Churchley is clearly a sick individual and I fail to understand how four years in prison will change his attitude. I'm sure he will be closely monitored now he is free in society, however, similar cases show this type of person often reoffends. The only way forward in my opinion is castration.
How is castration going to stop him offending again?
[quote][p][bold]hyram77[/bold] wrote: Mr Churchley is clearly a sick individual and I fail to understand how four years in prison will change his attitude. I'm sure he will be closely monitored now he is free in society, however, similar cases show this type of person often reoffends. The only way forward in my opinion is castration.[/p][/quote]How is castration going to stop him offending again? Morpheus

9:20am Tue 7 Jan 14

Brighton1000 says...

Morpheus wrote:
hyram77 wrote:
Mr Churchley is clearly a sick individual and I fail to understand how four years in prison will change his attitude. I'm sure he will be closely monitored now he is free in society, however, similar cases show this type of person often reoffends. The only way forward in my opinion is castration.
How is castration going to stop him offending again?
Isnt that a bit obvious?
[quote][p][bold]Morpheus[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]hyram77[/bold] wrote: Mr Churchley is clearly a sick individual and I fail to understand how four years in prison will change his attitude. I'm sure he will be closely monitored now he is free in society, however, similar cases show this type of person often reoffends. The only way forward in my opinion is castration.[/p][/quote]How is castration going to stop him offending again?[/p][/quote]Isnt that a bit obvious? Brighton1000

9:28am Tue 7 Jan 14

ThinkBrighton says...

Brighton1000 wrote:
Morpheus wrote:
hyram77 wrote:
Mr Churchley is clearly a sick individual and I fail to understand how four years in prison will change his attitude. I'm sure he will be closely monitored now he is free in society, however, similar cases show this type of person often reoffends. The only way forward in my opinion is castration.
How is castration going to stop him offending again?
Isnt that a bit obvious?
No it isn't obvious, castration does not cure a mental illness.
But hanging does!
[quote][p][bold]Brighton1000[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Morpheus[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]hyram77[/bold] wrote: Mr Churchley is clearly a sick individual and I fail to understand how four years in prison will change his attitude. I'm sure he will be closely monitored now he is free in society, however, similar cases show this type of person often reoffends. The only way forward in my opinion is castration.[/p][/quote]How is castration going to stop him offending again?[/p][/quote]Isnt that a bit obvious?[/p][/quote]No it isn't obvious, castration does not cure a mental illness. But hanging does! ThinkBrighton

9:28am Tue 7 Jan 14

The Prophet of Doom says...

Brighton1000 wrote:
Morpheus wrote:
hyram77 wrote:
Mr Churchley is clearly a sick individual and I fail to understand how four years in prison will change his attitude. I'm sure he will be closely monitored now he is free in society, however, similar cases show this type of person often reoffends. The only way forward in my opinion is castration.
How is castration going to stop him offending again?
Isnt that a bit obvious?
It will be to Mr Churchley!
[quote][p][bold]Brighton1000[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Morpheus[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]hyram77[/bold] wrote: Mr Churchley is clearly a sick individual and I fail to understand how four years in prison will change his attitude. I'm sure he will be closely monitored now he is free in society, however, similar cases show this type of person often reoffends. The only way forward in my opinion is castration.[/p][/quote]How is castration going to stop him offending again?[/p][/quote]Isnt that a bit obvious?[/p][/quote]It will be to Mr Churchley! The Prophet of Doom

12:48pm Tue 7 Jan 14

Number Six says...

ThinkBrighton wrote:
Brighton1000 wrote:
Morpheus wrote:
hyram77 wrote:
Mr Churchley is clearly a sick individual and I fail to understand how four years in prison will change his attitude. I'm sure he will be closely monitored now he is free in society, however, similar cases show this type of person often reoffends. The only way forward in my opinion is castration.
How is castration going to stop him offending again?
Isnt that a bit obvious?
No it isn't obvious, castration does not cure a mental illness.
But hanging does!
You want to start hanging the mentally ill? I suppose it would cut down on NHS waiting lists.
[quote][p][bold]ThinkBrighton[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Brighton1000[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Morpheus[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]hyram77[/bold] wrote: Mr Churchley is clearly a sick individual and I fail to understand how four years in prison will change his attitude. I'm sure he will be closely monitored now he is free in society, however, similar cases show this type of person often reoffends. The only way forward in my opinion is castration.[/p][/quote]How is castration going to stop him offending again?[/p][/quote]Isnt that a bit obvious?[/p][/quote]No it isn't obvious, castration does not cure a mental illness. But hanging does![/p][/quote]You want to start hanging the mentally ill? I suppose it would cut down on NHS waiting lists. Number Six

12:51pm Tue 7 Jan 14

Cave Johnson says...

The Argus tries to drum up tabloid hysteria again so must be disappointed that the people actually living in the street aren't terrified.
The Argus tries to drum up tabloid hysteria again so must be disappointed that the people actually living in the street aren't terrified. Cave Johnson

3:36pm Tue 7 Jan 14

MuammarQaddafi says...

Shades of Acid Row!
Shades of Acid Row! MuammarQaddafi

4:31pm Tue 7 Jan 14

getThisCoalitionOut says...

His prison sentence, considering what the judge said about him, was far too short.

Personally I'd like to see the death sentence bought back for all people convicted of any paedophilia charges. It would help to get rid of a lot of bad people in our government, royal family etc who are all guilty of covering this up and participating in it.

Paedophilia is not a form of mental illness.
His prison sentence, considering what the judge said about him, was far too short. Personally I'd like to see the death sentence bought back for all people convicted of any paedophilia charges. It would help to get rid of a lot of bad people in our government, royal family etc who are all guilty of covering this up and participating in it. Paedophilia is not a form of mental illness. getThisCoalitionOut

5:58pm Tue 7 Jan 14

ivor b. gunn says...

If he reads all of the commwnts posted then he will realize that the local community & beyond do not wish him to return.
on the other hand it will be the police's duty to protect him if he chooses to return. They will already know where he is & as part of his parole he will be required to report in I expect daily.
So stop getting annoyed and making obvious threats as it will be YOU that will fall fowl of the law.
If you don't like the laws of the uk, the move to another country, Romania, Poland & other eastern block countries HAVE plenty of room judging by the number of there people here in the uk.
so why not ask the POLICE before getting all wound up & makinh threats
If he reads all of the commwnts posted then he will realize that the local community & beyond do not wish him to return. on the other hand it will be the police's duty to protect him if he chooses to return. They will already know where he is & as part of his parole he will be required to report in I expect daily. So stop getting annoyed and making obvious threats as it will be YOU that will fall fowl of the law. If you don't like the laws of the uk, the move to another country, Romania, Poland & other eastern block countries HAVE plenty of room judging by the number of there people here in the uk. so why not ask the POLICE before getting all wound up & makinh threats ivor b. gunn

10:42pm Tue 7 Jan 14

All 9 of me says...

Number Six wrote:
ThinkBrighton wrote:
Brighton1000 wrote:
Morpheus wrote:
hyram77 wrote:
Mr Churchley is clearly a sick individual and I fail to understand how four years in prison will change his attitude. I'm sure he will be closely monitored now he is free in society, however, similar cases show this type of person often reoffends. The only way forward in my opinion is castration.
How is castration going to stop him offending again?
Isnt that a bit obvious?
No it isn't obvious, castration does not cure a mental illness.
But hanging does!
You want to start hanging the mentally ill? I suppose it would cut down on NHS waiting lists.
that would also make the comments section a lot smaller......
[quote][p][bold]Number Six[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ThinkBrighton[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Brighton1000[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Morpheus[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]hyram77[/bold] wrote: Mr Churchley is clearly a sick individual and I fail to understand how four years in prison will change his attitude. I'm sure he will be closely monitored now he is free in society, however, similar cases show this type of person often reoffends. The only way forward in my opinion is castration.[/p][/quote]How is castration going to stop him offending again?[/p][/quote]Isnt that a bit obvious?[/p][/quote]No it isn't obvious, castration does not cure a mental illness. But hanging does![/p][/quote]You want to start hanging the mentally ill? I suppose it would cut down on NHS waiting lists.[/p][/quote]that would also make the comments section a lot smaller...... All 9 of me

9:12am Wed 8 Jan 14

gheese77 says...

He was convicted and sentenced to 8 years in 2010 now he's out in less than 4 years. He should still be in prison.
He was convicted and sentenced to 8 years in 2010 now he's out in less than 4 years. He should still be in prison. gheese77

12:34pm Wed 8 Jan 14

Brighton1000 says...

ThinkBrighton wrote:
Brighton1000 wrote:
Morpheus wrote:
hyram77 wrote:
Mr Churchley is clearly a sick individual and I fail to understand how four years in prison will change his attitude. I'm sure he will be closely monitored now he is free in society, however, similar cases show this type of person often reoffends. The only way forward in my opinion is castration.
How is castration going to stop him offending again?
Isnt that a bit obvious?
No it isn't obvious, castration does not cure a mental illness.
But hanging does!
Mental illness? who says this sicko is mentally ill? That is an excuse bounded about for these disgusting predators, they know exactly what they are doing, and quite frankly its an insult to people who do suffer from mental illnesses!

All Paedos should be hung I agree, they contribute zero to society, and to harm an innocent child is the lowest of the low. And us the taxpayer pay for their upkeep, its so wrong, makes my blood boil.

No doubt some do gooder will try and put me right, but im sure 99% of parents will agree with me.
[quote][p][bold]ThinkBrighton[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Brighton1000[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Morpheus[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]hyram77[/bold] wrote: Mr Churchley is clearly a sick individual and I fail to understand how four years in prison will change his attitude. I'm sure he will be closely monitored now he is free in society, however, similar cases show this type of person often reoffends. The only way forward in my opinion is castration.[/p][/quote]How is castration going to stop him offending again?[/p][/quote]Isnt that a bit obvious?[/p][/quote]No it isn't obvious, castration does not cure a mental illness. But hanging does![/p][/quote]Mental illness? who says this sicko is mentally ill? That is an excuse bounded about for these disgusting predators, they know exactly what they are doing, and quite frankly its an insult to people who do suffer from mental illnesses! All Paedos should be hung I agree, they contribute zero to society, and to harm an innocent child is the lowest of the low. And us the taxpayer pay for their upkeep, its so wrong, makes my blood boil. No doubt some do gooder will try and put me right, but im sure 99% of parents will agree with me. Brighton1000

12:56pm Wed 8 Jan 14

Cave Johnson says...

Whenever a story like this appears you always get the 'hang em high' brigade. I don't see the same said when the story is about a murderer. Murder is clearly a worse crime, so why don't you go on about that?
Whenever a story like this appears you always get the 'hang em high' brigade. I don't see the same said when the story is about a murderer. Murder is clearly a worse crime, so why don't you go on about that? Cave Johnson

1:25pm Wed 8 Jan 14

Number Six says...

Cave Johnson wrote:
Whenever a story like this appears you always get the 'hang em high' brigade. I don't see the same said when the story is about a murderer. Murder is clearly a worse crime, so why don't you go on about that?
Because the Sun/Daily Mail vigilante isn't exactly known for his intellect. Remember when they targeted a paediatrician because they didn't know what it meant.

As you say, we don't hang murderers but that doesn't stop them banging on about bringing back executions despite the fact that it will never happen.
[quote][p][bold]Cave Johnson[/bold] wrote: Whenever a story like this appears you always get the 'hang em high' brigade. I don't see the same said when the story is about a murderer. Murder is clearly a worse crime, so why don't you go on about that?[/p][/quote]Because the Sun/Daily Mail vigilante isn't exactly known for his intellect. Remember when they targeted a paediatrician because they didn't know what it meant. As you say, we don't hang murderers but that doesn't stop them banging on about bringing back executions despite the fact that it will never happen. Number Six

3:55pm Wed 8 Jan 14

Andy R says...

Brighton1000 wrote:
ThinkBrighton wrote:
Brighton1000 wrote:
Morpheus wrote:
hyram77 wrote:
Mr Churchley is clearly a sick individual and I fail to understand how four years in prison will change his attitude. I'm sure he will be closely monitored now he is free in society, however, similar cases show this type of person often reoffends. The only way forward in my opinion is castration.
How is castration going to stop him offending again?
Isnt that a bit obvious?
No it isn't obvious, castration does not cure a mental illness.
But hanging does!
Mental illness? who says this sicko is mentally ill? That is an excuse bounded about for these disgusting predators, they know exactly what they are doing, and quite frankly its an insult to people who do suffer from mental illnesses!

All Paedos should be hung I agree, they contribute zero to society, and to harm an innocent child is the lowest of the low. And us the taxpayer pay for their upkeep, its so wrong, makes my blood boil.

No doubt some do gooder will try and put me right, but im sure 99% of parents will agree with me.
So what's the sickness of the "sicko" who isn't mentally ill?

Doh..........
[quote][p][bold]Brighton1000[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ThinkBrighton[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Brighton1000[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Morpheus[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]hyram77[/bold] wrote: Mr Churchley is clearly a sick individual and I fail to understand how four years in prison will change his attitude. I'm sure he will be closely monitored now he is free in society, however, similar cases show this type of person often reoffends. The only way forward in my opinion is castration.[/p][/quote]How is castration going to stop him offending again?[/p][/quote]Isnt that a bit obvious?[/p][/quote]No it isn't obvious, castration does not cure a mental illness. But hanging does![/p][/quote]Mental illness? who says this sicko is mentally ill? That is an excuse bounded about for these disgusting predators, they know exactly what they are doing, and quite frankly its an insult to people who do suffer from mental illnesses! All Paedos should be hung I agree, they contribute zero to society, and to harm an innocent child is the lowest of the low. And us the taxpayer pay for their upkeep, its so wrong, makes my blood boil. No doubt some do gooder will try and put me right, but im sure 99% of parents will agree with me.[/p][/quote]So what's the sickness of the "sicko" who isn't mentally ill? Doh.......... Andy R

9:38pm Sun 12 Jan 14

KarenT says...

Enforced sterilisation! I keep saying'! You don't have to go down the messy path of 'mental issues', corporal punishment or the death sentence... Snip, snip, end of problem, the buck stops there...
Enforced sterilisation! I keep saying'! You don't have to go down the messy path of 'mental issues', corporal punishment or the death sentence... Snip, snip, end of problem, the buck stops there... KarenT

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree