Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
More political rows over Brighton's Royal Sussex hospital funding
10:51am Tuesday 7th January 2014 in News
A war of words has broken out over £420 million funding for a new Brighton hospital.
Two years after it received planning permission, ministers have still not signed off on funding for the redevelopment of the Royal Sussex County Hospital in Eastern Road, Brighton.
But after Nancy Platts, who will stand for Labour in Brighton Kemptown at the next election, claimed the previous government had already put aside the money, current Conservative MP Simon Kirby called for “an abject apology”.
Mr Kirby pointed to a letter from health secretary Jeremy Hunt which claimed no approval had been given.
Mr Hunt added: “I can confirm categorically that development of the regional centre for Teaching, Trauma and Tertiary Care at the Royal Sussex was not approved by the previous Government and it is not the case that this Government has withheld the release of funds for its construction.”
Mr Kirby said: “The Labour candidate would be better served by supporting my campaign rather than trying to score cheap political points at the expense of local people.”
Mr Kirby added he hoped to meet chancellor George Osborne this week to further press the issue.
In response Ms Platts said: “Accusations like this detract from the real issue, people in Brighton want to know when the hospital will be built.”
Comments are closed on this article.