Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
170 arrests made during Sussex Police's Christmas drink-drive crackdown
4:40am Thursday 9th January 2014 in News
More than 170 people could be banned from the roads after they were arrested as part of a crackdown on drink-drivers in Sussex.
A total of 120 people have been charged with drink or drug-related driving offences since December 1 when Sussex Police began its annual Christmas campaign to make the roads safer.
A further 52 people have been arrested during the month before being released on bail while officers carry out further inquiries.
The arrests have followed officers testing more than 4,000 motorists for drink or drugs after accidents or having stopped their vehicles.
Chief Inspector Natalie Moloney, of Sussex Police, said: “Magistrates have shown in the cases that have been dealt with so far that they will ban offenders from the roads and fine them as well.
“I expect to see plenty more motorists banned from driving by the courts because of their selfish behaviour during the campaign which will affect not just them but their families, friends and businesses.
"We will continue to look for drink and drug drivers every day and every night - it is not just a priority for us at Christmas.”
CI Moloney said 21 people were arrested on suspicion of driving after taking drugs.
The youngest suspect is a 16-year-old boy from Haywards Heath who was arrested on 17 December in Handcross Road, Staplefield, after officers found a car crashed into bushes. He was questioned before being released on bail.
The oldest suspect is 76-year-old Andrew Doyle of Orchard Road, Horsham, who was charged with drink-driving after his car was stopped in St Leonards Road, Horsham, after it was spotted being driven without lights in the dark.
Comments are closed on this article.