Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Olympian Lisa Dobrisky helps launch Brighton Mini Mile at Varndean school
4:04pm Thursday 9th January 2014 in News
Hundreds of children took their marks under the watchful eye of Olympian Lisa Dobrisky.
The official launch of The ICONIQ Shlurp! Mini Mile Races 2014 took place yesterday at Varndean School, Brighton, and youngsters were buoyed by some inspirational stories.
After watching Steve Ovett’s story and receiving a visit from Lisa, the young runners headed outdoors to take part in a training session run by athletics coach Dan Stepney.
- You're hired - The Argus campaign smashes apprenticeships target with 67 youngsters taken on by firms
- Busy junction plunged into darkness due to substation fire
- Two people suffer smoke inhalation after dishwasher fire in Eastbourne
- Fire crews called to burning car in Peacehaven
- Two vans destroyed in suspected arson in Eastbourne
Jo Meloni, deputy head at Varndean School, said: “We are pleased and honoured to have been chosen for the launch of the mini mile today.
“Our students were so enthused by the presentation about the school's link to Steve Ovett and to hear from such a top athlete as Lisa.
“Those who were chosen to take part in the training session put on by Dan Stepney from Phoenix Athletic Club were certainly put through their paces and they have all come away from today feeling truly inspired and geared up to take part in the event.”
Comments are closed on this article.