Hundreds of children took their marks under the watchful eye of Olympian Lisa Dobrisky.
The official launch of The ICONIQ Shlurp! Mini Mile Races 2014 took place yesterday at Varndean School, Brighton, and youngsters were buoyed by some inspirational stories.
After watching Steve Ovett’s story and receiving a visit from Lisa, the young runners headed outdoors to take part in a training session run by athletics coach Dan Stepney.
- Motorcyclist injured while trying to complete ice bucket challenge
- Man living in derelict pub: ‘I want to be king of the squatters’
- City is beacon of economic dynamism
- Brighton and Hove restaurants and bars named best in UK
- Rugby World Cup tickets to go on sale next week
Jo Meloni, deputy head at Varndean School, said: “We are pleased and honoured to have been chosen for the launch of the mini mile today.
“Our students were so enthused by the presentation about the school's link to Steve Ovett and to hear from such a top athlete as Lisa.
“Those who were chosen to take part in the training session put on by Dan Stepney from Phoenix Athletic Club were certainly put through their paces and they have all come away from today feeling truly inspired and geared up to take part in the event.”