Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
A thousand sign up to save Brighton Hippodrome
4:00am Saturday 11th January 2014 in News
A campaign to retain a historic venue for live performances has more than 1,000 signatures.
Last year developers unveiled a £35 million plan to renovate the Hippodrome in Middle Street, Brighton, creating an eight-screen cinema and restaurants.
But campaigners want to see the historic venue, which has previously hosted performances by The Beatles and the Rolling Stones, used as either a proscenium theatre, a theatre-in-the-round or for circus performances, similar to the Roundhouse in London.
- Inferno which severely damaged flat started accidentally
- Calls for pub to be closed after series of offences
- Spilt party drug at Brighton police station causes major alert
- Fire fighters kept busy by string of arson attacks
- Rumpus councillor is still working for Green Party MEP
6 It claimed it would help to make Brighton the “principal cultural hub of the south-east region”.
A petition launched in October received more than 1,000 signatures – just short of the 1,250 needed to trigger a debate at full council.
It will be presented to the council’s economic development and culture committee on January 23.
Comments are closed on this article.