Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Lancing councillor joins Ukip
4:00am Thursday 16th January 2014 in News
A former Liberal Democrat Lancing parish councillor has joined Ukip.
Liz Haywood, the Lancing parish councillor for Mash Barn ward since 2012, has joined Ukip, bringing the party's parish contingent to four.
Ms Haywood said: “After very careful reflection I left the Liberal Democrats because of the obvious lack of political direction in that party and have been sitting temporarily as an independent.
“It has become clear to me that too many councillors nowadays are under duress to obey a particular party line.
“Ukip's distinct policy of not compelling its councillors to act in this way, but letting them champion the views of the residents, was the clincher in the end.
“I am very much looking forward to playing a long term and very active role in local government, especially with the prospect for major change in the political balance here.”
- You're hired - The Argus campaign smashes apprenticeships target with 67 youngsters taken on by firms
- Busy junction plunged into darkness due to substation fire
- Two people suffer smoke inhalation after dishwasher fire in Eastbourne
- Fire crews called to burning car in Peacehaven
- Two vans destroyed in suspected arson in Eastbourne
Comments are closed on this article.