A former Liberal Democrat Lancing parish councillor has joined Ukip.
Liz Haywood, the Lancing parish councillor for Mash Barn ward since 2012, has joined Ukip, bringing the party's parish contingent to four.
Ms Haywood said: “After very careful reflection I left the Liberal Democrats because of the obvious lack of political direction in that party and have been sitting temporarily as an independent.
“It has become clear to me that too many councillors nowadays are under duress to obey a particular party line.
“Ukip's distinct policy of not compelling its councillors to act in this way, but letting them champion the views of the residents, was the clincher in the end.
“I am very much looking forward to playing a long term and very active role in local government, especially with the prospect for major change in the political balance here.”
- Coach passengers able to walk away from crash with crane on A27
- VIDEO: Madness of man who stops to have his picture taken sat on the edge of 500ft cliff
- Body found on beach not being treated as suspicious
- Two taken to hospital following crash on A27
- Air ambulance called as boy, 12, is knocked over