Emergency crews called after students set fire to books on Brighton balcony

The Argus: Emergency crews called after students set fire to books on Brighton balcony Emergency crews called after students set fire to books on Brighton balcony

Fire crews were called out after a group of students burned their textbooks to celebrate finishing their exams.

The youngsters took to their balcony in Regency Square, Brighton, shortly before 8.30pm on Friday night (January 17) to set the books on fire.

A concerned neighbour called the fire brigade who were on the scene in minutes.

The blaze was quickly put out with no injuries.

Comments (9)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:11am Sat 18 Jan 14

monkeymoo says...

Celebrating all their academic achievements.....

.....And displaying ZERO common sense!
Celebrating all their academic achievements..... .....And displaying ZERO common sense! monkeymoo

8:18am Sat 18 Jan 14

hoveguyactually says...

Perhaps they have never heard of charity shops. And would it not have been more sensible to pass the books on to other students who might need them? But then a grant is meant to be squandered away, isn't it?
Perhaps they have never heard of charity shops. And would it not have been more sensible to pass the books on to other students who might need them? But then a grant is meant to be squandered away, isn't it? hoveguyactually

10:04am Sat 18 Jan 14

Maxwell's Ghost says...

And the council and the colleges want another 5,000 of these children in the city. Non council tax payers causing mayhem and now wasting emergency services time and money.
I hope the fire service bill the students as this was an act of reckless let alone stupidity, they can't be very bright.
And the council and the colleges want another 5,000 of these children in the city. Non council tax payers causing mayhem and now wasting emergency services time and money. I hope the fire service bill the students as this was an act of reckless let alone stupidity, they can't be very bright. Maxwell's Ghost

10:43am Sat 18 Jan 14

BornInBrighton1968 says...

What a bunch of stupid, immature BRATS;

The fire service should bill these childish brats for the unnesscary trouble that they have caused.

People are getting sick to death of the childish behaviour of brat students, who are far too immature to be away from home and Mummy and Daddy
What a bunch of stupid, immature BRATS; The fire service should bill these childish brats for the unnesscary trouble that they have caused. People are getting sick to death of the childish behaviour of brat students, who are far too immature to be away from home and Mummy and Daddy BornInBrighton1968

4:47pm Sat 18 Jan 14

getThisCoalitionOut says...

Without a photo proving the fire was too big and out of control, none of us know what went on.

But def a shame that they didn't donate the books to poorer next year students, there should be a scheme to donate books - someone organise this please so this doesn't happen anymore.
Without a photo proving the fire was too big and out of control, none of us know what went on. But def a shame that they didn't donate the books to poorer next year students, there should be a scheme to donate books - someone organise this please so this doesn't happen anymore. getThisCoalitionOut

7:10pm Sat 18 Jan 14

Rita Snatch says...

It was me that called the Fire Brigade ... and the Argus report is totally, totally, incorrect! It wasn't evening time - it was in the early morning!

I finished work and arrived home around 04.30hrs, I popped outside for a cigarette around 04.45hrs and saw massive flames (about 10 feet tall) bellowing outwards from the 4th floor balcony opposite me. Lots of burning paper was being blown down onto the road below, which pedestrians had to move away from and with some landing on the cars below - still alight or smouldering due to the draft of wind.

I called the Fire Brigade as I was unable to see the seat of fire and had concerns for the safety of the occupants.

It appears that the students were burning lots of paper as they 'wanted a celebratory bonfire'. The celebration being that one had passed her law exams! So someone who will now be assisting with the Laws of our Land was demonstrating just how sensible they are.

FOUR FIRE TENDERS arrived with an ESCAPE LADDER - as obviously all concerned were concerned for their safety, however, the bonfire had ceased by the time they arrived and the fire wasn't 'quickly put out'; it had burnt out.

The Fire Officers checked the flat exterior to ensure that a flare-up wouldn't occur and had 'words' with the occupants.

I would like to see the Police take this matter further as a back-draft would have demolished that flat, possibly injuring the occupants and any water used would have also made the flat below uninhabitable due to water damage.

Please worry about our future generation.
It was me that called the Fire Brigade ... and the Argus report is totally, totally, incorrect! It wasn't evening time - it was in the early morning! I finished work and arrived home around 04.30hrs, I popped outside for a cigarette around 04.45hrs and saw massive flames (about 10 feet tall) bellowing outwards from the 4th floor balcony opposite me. Lots of burning paper was being blown down onto the road below, which pedestrians had to move away from and with some landing on the cars below - still alight or smouldering due to the draft of wind. I called the Fire Brigade as I was unable to see the seat of fire and had concerns for the safety of the occupants. It appears that the students were burning lots of paper as they 'wanted a celebratory bonfire'. The celebration being that one had passed her law exams! So someone who will now be assisting with the Laws of our Land was demonstrating just how sensible they are. FOUR FIRE TENDERS arrived with an ESCAPE LADDER - as obviously all concerned were concerned for their safety, however, the bonfire had ceased by the time they arrived and the fire wasn't 'quickly put out'; it had burnt out. The Fire Officers checked the flat exterior to ensure that a flare-up wouldn't occur and had 'words' with the occupants. I would like to see the Police take this matter further as a back-draft would have demolished that flat, possibly injuring the occupants and any water used would have also made the flat below uninhabitable due to water damage. Please worry about our future generation. Rita Snatch

7:45pm Sat 18 Jan 14

lindaf says...

Each year the books required for courses change so they wouldn't be any use to next years poorer students. They were just having a bit of fun that got out of control, stupid yes but at least they weren't binge drinking and beating up other people which seems to be the trend theses days in Brighton.
Each year the books required for courses change so they wouldn't be any use to next years poorer students. They were just having a bit of fun that got out of control, stupid yes but at least they weren't binge drinking and beating up other people which seems to be the trend theses days in Brighton. lindaf

10:53pm Sat 18 Jan 14

michael201273 says...

Is this really news.
Is this really news. michael201273

11:29am Sun 19 Jan 14

Maxwell's Ghost says...

Students damaged my home and the neighbour's on the other side with a fire they set in the garden. We too had many fire crews out as they had thrown an accelerant onto it. We took them to county court to recover the £1,500 damage they caused to our properties as the insurance would not cough up as the act was considered criminal.
The police disagreed so we had no choice. I assume if any damage has been done the freeholders in any properties will do the same.
Fun has a cost, luckily it wasn't to life.
Students damaged my home and the neighbour's on the other side with a fire they set in the garden. We too had many fire crews out as they had thrown an accelerant onto it. We took them to county court to recover the £1,500 damage they caused to our properties as the insurance would not cough up as the act was considered criminal. The police disagreed so we had no choice. I assume if any damage has been done the freeholders in any properties will do the same. Fun has a cost, luckily it wasn't to life. Maxwell's Ghost

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree