A convenience store has been badly damaged in a fire following an electrical fault.
Eastbourne firefighters were called to Brassey Parade in Hampden Park after reports of smoke coming from flats at about 1.30am this morning.
The flats were evacuated but on further investigation, crew realised that the fire was coming from the Food and Drink shop below and broke into the building through the shop’s roll-down shutters.
The fire was extinguished using an aerial ladder, breathing apparatus and a hose reel but not before causing considerable damage to the shop and its stock.
Firefighters were at the scene for about 90 minutes.
- Motorcyclist injured while trying to complete ice bucket challenge
- Man living in derelict pub: ‘I want to be king of the squatters’
- City is beacon of economic dynamism
- Brighton and Hove restaurants and bars named best in UK
- Rugby World Cup tickets to go on sale next week