Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Fears Brighton and Hove bin workers may ‘take action’ over latest rounds problem
12:20pm Thursday 30th January 2014 in News
Refuse workers could “take action” if the current bin crisis is not resolved, a union has revealed.
Council bosses have admitted there are outstanding recycling and rubbish collections after some residents complained of bins not being emptied for nearly a month.
But according to Brighton and Hove branch secretary for GMB Mark Turner, requests from the union to meet council managers and address the problem have been ignored.
- Father of teenager killed in Syria says he was a "martyr"
- Girl injured after plunging from Worthing seafront fairground ride
- Teenager killed in Syria conflict
- Some homes still without power following accident on the A22
- Preparing to mark 750th battle anniversary
Mr Turner claimed four crews were unable to go out on rounds yesterday because of a shortage of vehicles – and warned it would not get better anytime soon.
He said: “The round reorganisation is not working.
“I asked to meet the strategic director but they do not agree there is a crisis as we call it.
“Our members are taking a lot of criticism from the public and elsewhere and no one is coming out and defending the workforce.
“We are getting close to critical and our members are getting very frustrated. We might have to consult them on taking action.”
A council spokeswoman admitted vehicles were sometimes off the roads for “a range of different reasons”
but staff tried to get them fixed and back out again as quickly as possible.
She added there was “regular and open dialogue” with unions and the council was continuing to make “adjustments” to the service.
The council took “the recent disruption to the waste collection and recycling service very seriously”.
She said: “The council’s refuse and recycling teams are working hard to catch up with missed collections and we apologise for the frustration this has caused some residents over the Christmas and new year period.”
Last year refuse workers walked out following a dispute with the council over pay.
Sandra Codrington had rubbish piling up outside her block of flats for nearly a month, just metres away from council offices in Grand Avenue, Hove.
She said: “We were on our fourth week before it was collected.”
Comments are closed on this article.