A primary school teacher has been found dead in his garden shed after family members reported him missing.
Sussex Police found the body of Year Three teacher Mark Woolley after worried family members alerted the police.
Children at Benfield Primary School in Old Shoreham Road, Portslade, where the 41-year-old had taught for eight years, have been informed and offered counselling.
His class is currently being covered by existing staff members.
- VIDEO: Two men survive plane crashing into sea off Lancing
- I lived with my father’s killer and he convinced me he was alive and well
- Woman sexually assaulted by slim man with messy hair
- Woman punched male friend she was drinking with at Kemp Town pub
- Controversial landowner sells ancient woodland
Post-mortem reports indicate Mr Woolley, described as “much loved”, died from carbon monoxide poisoning. His death is not being treated as suspicious.
Chairman of governors at Benfield Primary School, Jenny Barnard-Langston, yesterday said: “Mark Woolley was a highly respected and much-loved teacher.
“He had been at the school for eight years and will be greatly missed by our children, staff and parents. Our thoughts are with Mark’s family at this very sad time.”
Brighton and Hove City Council’s director of children’s services Pinaki Ghoshal added: “This is very sad news and our hearts go out to Mark’s family, friends and all who knew him.
“Our children’s services team has offered the school their full support – including counselling for anyone who feels they would benefit from it – as we try to help the whole school community to come to terms with this tragic news.”
ASussex Police spokesman said: “Police were called to an address in Princes Terrace, Brighton, on January 25 after a report that a man living there had not been seen since the previous evening.
“The body of the man, Mark Woolley, 41, of that address, was found a short while later by searching officers in a shed at the rear of the premises. There were no suspicious circumstances and the coroner’s officer is continuing enquiries.
“A post-mortem examination found death to have resulted from carbon monoxide poisoning. An inquest has been formally opened and adjourned and a full inquest has been set for April 29.”