Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Newhaven RNLI volunteers host soup kitchen
4:00am Saturday 8th February 2014 in News
Volunteers spent the afternoon cooking up soup in Newhaven in a bid to raise funds for their lifeboat service as part of a nationwide appeal for funding.
Members of the Newhaven and District Lifeboat Society Fundraisers hosted Slurp Our Soup at the Newhaven Boathouse on January 31, where they invited people to come share a warm cup of soup and a freshly baked bread roll.
Graham Hillman, secretary for the fundraising society, said: “We are always so pleased to see so many people supporting Newhaven Lifeboat, especially given the weather conditions. We hope the event brightened the dull day for those attending.”
The event was attended by over a hundred people and raised £371.85 - all of which went to the Newhaven Volunteer Lifeboat Crew.
The bread rolls were donated by La Baguette Shop bakery in Newhaven. The soup kitchen was run as part of SOS Day, the RNLI’s national fundraising day. Anyone interested in getting involved with fundraising should contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Plane diverted to Gatwick after 'abusive' passenger threw prosthetic leg at cabin crew
- Road chase ends with stolen car crashing into Sussex Police vehicle
- Firefighters scale down Eastbourne Pier operation as police appeal for witnesses
- Robbers jailed after holding up cash van
- Drunk foreign students ‘put themselves at risk’
Comments are closed on this article.