Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Blundering builders drill into Lindfield gas main
Updated 6:32pm Monday 10th February 2014 in News
Flames shot into air after workmen drilled through a gas pipe this afternoon.
Firefighters were called to Lindfield High Street shortly after 1.30pm.
It is believed workmen installing a new water pipe in the village drilled straight into the gas main.
Two crews from Haywards Heath were called to help burn away any remaining gas in a controlled fashion.
A number of homes were also evacuated.
Power companies were called to isolate the leak before repairing it.
A spokesman for West Sussex Fire and Rescue said: “We are expecting to be on site until the early hours.
“We are in communication with the gas company and they are working to fix the leak.
“There was no damage to homes and no injuries.”
- Four arrested over letter bomb sent to Brighton's army careers office
- Seven months of misery - Brighton seafront roadworks delayed again
- Council warns eateries which served ‘fake cod’
- Drinkers locked out of pub besiege staff and customers
- Workman who died after pier fall named
Comments are closed on this article.