Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
More overflowing bins cause misery for Brighton and Hove residents
Overflowing bins have been causing more misery in Brighton and Hove as the city council continues to struggle to cope with backlogged collections.
The Argus has been contacted by readers reporting missed collections and overflowing bins in the Sevendials, Hangleton and Queen’s Park areas of the city.
Last week Brighton and Hove City Council claimed they were catching up on bin collections after eight refuse vehicles were out of action. Six of the vehicles had been repaired by last Friday, with refuse teams promising to work late to catch up on the backlog. Now, nearly a week on, the council claims the backlog should be resolved by Monday.
The council yesterday also promised to resolve a list of bin problems around the city after being alerted to them by The Argus.
Communal bins in Davidgor Road and Goldsmid Road were spotted overflowing on Monday.
Residents in Sunninghill Close, Hangleton, said they were infuriated by a week of delays.
Dot Lewis, of Sunninghill Close, said: “I phoned CityClean last Thursday – they said they would come out on Saturday and remove the bags the dustmen left on the floor. But they didn’t come.
“I phoned them again on Monday and they must have had a dozen calls from my neighbours.
“The dustmen came on Tuesday afternoon and they still didn’t take the bins.”
Ian Dickson was so disgusted to see the overflowing bins at the gates of Queen’s Park he wrote to CityClean boss John Coober.
Mr Dickson said: “I understand that these rubbish bins were meant to solve the problem of seagulls ripping open refuse sacks on our doorsteps awaiting collection but they have just created problems of their own.”
A council spokeswoman said: “Communal refuse bins should all be emptied by end of yesterday - this includes Davigdor Road and surrounding areas.
“Sunninghill recycling bins have been contaminated with general waste so need to be collected by refuse crews. This should be done by the end of today.
“We are currently clearing refuse from the Saltdean area which was two days behind. Following this, we will move into other areas including Hangleton and aim to have the backlog cleared by Friday.
“The two bins chained up in Park Street will be moved straight away. The bins will be secured onto a locking post away from the wall at the same end of the street.
“We are aiming to have all the backlog of refuse and then recycling cleared by the end of the weekend.”
Comments are closed on this article.