The ArgusCaught on camera: Driver's foul-mouthed tirade at Eastbourne cyclist (From The Argus)

Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.

Caught on camera: Driver's foul-mouthed tirade at Eastbourne cyclist

The Argus: The driver The driver

WITH VIDEO: A motorist has been caught on camera apparently barraging a cyclist with a torrent of abuse.

Father-of-four Eddie Bell filmed the altercation as he cycled along Eastbourne Road, Pevensey, at about 11am on Sunday.

Mr Bell claims he had a verbal altercation with the driver of a Jaguar moments before about the car's position on the road.

Mr Bell, who organises Eastbourne Cycling Festival, rode on but said the driver pulled his Jaguar over and ambushed him close to the junction with Martello Road.

The expletive-ridden video, which has been heavily censored by The Argus, shows the man repeatedly swearing at Mr Bell.

The video appears to capture the driver taking a swing at Mr Bell. He said the man's fist clipped his helmet but he was not injured.

The Argus was unable to trace the man in the video.

Mr Bell contacted the police following the incident and said he was set to be visited by officers last night.

Mr Bell denies doing anything to provoke the man's extreme reaction. He said: “I got my camera phone out as I wondered what would happen.

“What happened next was shocking. It was frightening. The man was very aggressive and took a swing at me. He made contact with my helmet but I was not injured. 

"I reported it to Operation Crackdown - Sussex Police's website for reporting anti-social driving - but my friends said it would be more suitable to actually ring up about.

“It's the principle - you cannot treat people like that.”

Mr Bell, who works for Network Rail, said he had cycled around 50 miles on Sunday and was on his way home when the incident happened.

A Sussex Police spokeswoman said: “Police can confirm they have received a report from Mr Bell and have arranged to see him this evening.”

The video was posted on YouTube, and has already been viewed by almost 8,000 people.

Comments (59)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:24pm Tue 11 Mar 14

Man of steel says...

Having just watched the youtube video, I find it very hard to be judgemental as the cyclist has tried to edit it so that it looks good for him, but you can see that this was a continuation of an earlier event, which obviously made the motorist angry.
The earlier event could have been anything, which, as the cyclist had a helmet cam, must be on film, I just hope the the police ask to look at it in full.
Having just watched the youtube video, I find it very hard to be judgemental as the cyclist has tried to edit it so that it looks good for him, but you can see that this was a continuation of an earlier event, which obviously made the motorist angry. The earlier event could have been anything, which, as the cyclist had a helmet cam, must be on film, I just hope the the police ask to look at it in full. Man of steel
  • Score: 52

6:24pm Tue 11 Mar 14

ronrostog says...

Sounds like the cyclist gave some lip to the wrong bloke this particular day and got it back in droves. Nothing else to be said.
Sounds like the cyclist gave some lip to the wrong bloke this particular day and got it back in droves. Nothing else to be said. ronrostog
  • Score: 47

6:36pm Tue 11 Mar 14

Russ9294 says...

I had same thing in St James street Brighton a single one way road was cycling up the road I could hear a car up behind me revving his engine shouting get out of the way you don`t own the road his wing mirror hit my arm I report it to the Polices I got a photo on my phone It usually takes between 5 and 10 minutes to complete a report to Operation Crackdown
I had same thing in St James street Brighton a single one way road was cycling up the road I could hear a car up behind me revving his engine shouting get out of the way you don`t own the road his wing mirror hit my arm I report it to the Polices I got a photo on my phone It usually takes between 5 and 10 minutes to complete a report to Operation Crackdown Russ9294
  • Score: 13

6:48pm Tue 11 Mar 14

twonk says...

Barraging? Is it even a word? Why not haranguing?
Barraging? Is it even a word? Why not haranguing? twonk
  • Score: 12

7:13pm Tue 11 Mar 14

Stevo98 says...

So the driver commits a TS10 offence, the same as jumping a red light, and then assaults someone who calmly remonstrates. It's people like the Jaguar driver who make the roads unpleasant and intimidatory, tell me honestly, would you want that foul-mouthed grandad driving around near your children?

Another driver who thinks the law doesn't apply to them, I would say a short spell in prison would do him good but if the drivers gets so angry over trivialities I suspect he will be dead from a heart attack soon enough.

I wonder if he hits his wife? Looks the type.
So the driver commits a TS10 offence, the same as jumping a red light, and then assaults someone who calmly remonstrates. It's people like the Jaguar driver who make the roads unpleasant and intimidatory, tell me honestly, would you want that foul-mouthed grandad driving around near your children? Another driver who thinks the law doesn't apply to them, I would say a short spell in prison would do him good but if the drivers gets so angry over trivialities I suspect he will be dead from a heart attack soon enough. I wonder if he hits his wife? Looks the type. Stevo98
  • Score: 27

7:14pm Tue 11 Mar 14

Stevo98 says...

ronrostog wrote:
Sounds like the cyclist gave some lip to the wrong bloke this particular day and got it back in droves. Nothing else to be said.
So if you remonstrated verbally with a cyclist who jumped a red light you think it would be ok for the cyclist to assault you? Don't be daft.
[quote][p][bold]ronrostog[/bold] wrote: Sounds like the cyclist gave some lip to the wrong bloke this particular day and got it back in droves. Nothing else to be said.[/p][/quote]So if you remonstrated verbally with a cyclist who jumped a red light you think it would be ok for the cyclist to assault you? Don't be daft. Stevo98
  • Score: 40

7:23pm Tue 11 Mar 14

pistachionut says...

Can anybody tell me if there is a cycle lane on the footpath, it looks like one on the video?.
Can anybody tell me if there is a cycle lane on the footpath, it looks like one on the video?. pistachionut
  • Score: 8

7:40pm Tue 11 Mar 14

angrymonkey says...

Jaguar driver part of the BMW stuck up own bottom gang we own all roads and outside lanes and can drive a foot off the next car safely. Looks like one of the silly old fools to being a sunday bet had a few drinks to thinking he safe to drive .
Jaguar driver part of the BMW stuck up own bottom gang we own all roads and outside lanes and can drive a foot off the next car safely. Looks like one of the silly old fools to being a sunday bet had a few drinks to thinking he safe to drive . angrymonkey
  • Score: -4

7:51pm Tue 11 Mar 14

Stevo98 says...

pistachionut wrote:
Can anybody tell me if there is a cycle lane on the footpath, it looks like one on the video?.
Did you know that per mile travelled cycle lanes are more dangerous for cyclists? There are pedestrians, dogs walking about, dog mess, broken glass.

Did you further know that official advice is that cycle lanes are for slow riders or children, you should use the road if you do more than 15mph?

Whether or not there was a cycle lane is irrelevant, what's important is that this geriatric thug is caught, named and shamed.
[quote][p][bold]pistachionut[/bold] wrote: Can anybody tell me if there is a cycle lane on the footpath, it looks like one on the video?.[/p][/quote]Did you know that per mile travelled cycle lanes are more dangerous for cyclists? There are pedestrians, dogs walking about, dog mess, broken glass. Did you further know that official advice is that cycle lanes are for slow riders or children, you should use the road if you do more than 15mph? Whether or not there was a cycle lane is irrelevant, what's important is that this geriatric thug is caught, named and shamed. Stevo98
  • Score: 23

8:06pm Tue 11 Mar 14

jimpy762 says...

Stevo98 wrote:
So the driver commits a TS10 offence, the same as jumping a red light, and then assaults someone who calmly remonstrates. It's people like the Jaguar driver who make the roads unpleasant and intimidatory, tell me honestly, would you want that foul-mouthed grandad driving around near your children?

Another driver who thinks the law doesn't apply to them, I would say a short spell in prison would do him good but if the drivers gets so angry over trivialities I suspect he will be dead from a heart attack soon enough.

I wonder if he hits his wife? Looks the type.
Short spell in prison for a minor traffic incident? Talk sense man.
[quote][p][bold]Stevo98[/bold] wrote: So the driver commits a TS10 offence, the same as jumping a red light, and then assaults someone who calmly remonstrates. It's people like the Jaguar driver who make the roads unpleasant and intimidatory, tell me honestly, would you want that foul-mouthed grandad driving around near your children? Another driver who thinks the law doesn't apply to them, I would say a short spell in prison would do him good but if the drivers gets so angry over trivialities I suspect he will be dead from a heart attack soon enough. I wonder if he hits his wife? Looks the type.[/p][/quote]Short spell in prison for a minor traffic incident? Talk sense man. jimpy762
  • Score: 4

9:19pm Tue 11 Mar 14

HJarrs says...

I am sure the driver of the Jaguar comments regularly in the Argus.
I am sure the driver of the Jaguar comments regularly in the Argus. HJarrs
  • Score: 32

9:40pm Tue 11 Mar 14

cynic_the says...

HJarrs wrote:
I am sure the driver of the Jaguar comments regularly in the Argus.
There's a certain type of 50+, male that seems to be particularly susceptible to road-rage. Usually shorter than average, overweight, balding, with that red-cheeked, near alcoholic complexion. The sort that brake test you for not moving out of their way fast enough.

One assumes they do it because they're so unhappy with what's become of them.

Jarrs, it's not you is it?!
[quote][p][bold]HJarrs[/bold] wrote: I am sure the driver of the Jaguar comments regularly in the Argus.[/p][/quote]There's a certain type of 50+, male that seems to be particularly susceptible to road-rage. Usually shorter than average, overweight, balding, with that red-cheeked, near alcoholic complexion. The sort that brake test you for not moving out of their way fast enough. One assumes they do it because they're so unhappy with what's become of them. Jarrs, it's not you is it?! cynic_the
  • Score: 41

9:42pm Tue 11 Mar 14

ON THE RIVET says...

I would say a spell in Prison and followed by some community service and some anger management is needed for this Jaguar driver.

If he is let off with anything less than the above others will copycat him and think it is fine to attack cyclist or other members of the public.

What happens next time he gets angry but is still driving the car will he run over someone !

If there was ever a time to make an example for someone this is it. I hope the judge uses the strongest punishment possible.
None of us should have to put up with this sort of behaviour.

Looking forward to the Argus reporting the full details of this case to make sure justice is done. I wouldn't be surprised if this distasteful man has a previous run ins with the law due to his angry ways.
I would say a spell in Prison and followed by some community service and some anger management is needed for this Jaguar driver. If he is let off with anything less than the above others will copycat him and think it is fine to attack cyclist or other members of the public. What happens next time he gets angry but is still driving the car will he run over someone ! If there was ever a time to make an example for someone this is it. I hope the judge uses the strongest punishment possible. None of us should have to put up with this sort of behaviour. Looking forward to the Argus reporting the full details of this case to make sure justice is done. I wouldn't be surprised if this distasteful man has a previous run ins with the law due to his angry ways. ON THE RIVET
  • Score: 10

9:45pm Tue 11 Mar 14

ARMANA says...

At the end of the day, the cyclist will always lose out against a ton & half of car, that makes me smile, car 1 cyclist 0
At the end of the day, the cyclist will always lose out against a ton & half of car, that makes me smile, car 1 cyclist 0 ARMANA
  • Score: -55

9:51pm Tue 11 Mar 14

roystony says...

I love the way people edit their video in these situations. The cyclist must have aggravated before to get him that wound up.
I love the way people edit their video in these situations. The cyclist must have aggravated before to get him that wound up. roystony
  • Score: 9

9:58pm Tue 11 Mar 14

HJarrs says...

cynic_the wrote:
HJarrs wrote:
I am sure the driver of the Jaguar comments regularly in the Argus.
There's a certain type of 50+, male that seems to be particularly susceptible to road-rage. Usually shorter than average, overweight, balding, with that red-cheeked, near alcoholic complexion. The sort that brake test you for not moving out of their way fast enough.

One assumes they do it because they're so unhappy with what's become of them.

Jarrs, it's not you is it?!
Don't fit the bill I am afraid.
[quote][p][bold]cynic_the[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]HJarrs[/bold] wrote: I am sure the driver of the Jaguar comments regularly in the Argus.[/p][/quote]There's a certain type of 50+, male that seems to be particularly susceptible to road-rage. Usually shorter than average, overweight, balding, with that red-cheeked, near alcoholic complexion. The sort that brake test you for not moving out of their way fast enough. One assumes they do it because they're so unhappy with what's become of them. Jarrs, it's not you is it?![/p][/quote]Don't fit the bill I am afraid. HJarrs
  • Score: 6

10:02pm Tue 11 Mar 14

cynic_the says...

HJarrs wrote:
cynic_the wrote:
HJarrs wrote:
I am sure the driver of the Jaguar comments regularly in the Argus.
There's a certain type of 50+, male that seems to be particularly susceptible to road-rage. Usually shorter than average, overweight, balding, with that red-cheeked, near alcoholic complexion. The sort that brake test you for not moving out of their way fast enough.

One assumes they do it because they're so unhappy with what's become of them.

Jarrs, it's not you is it?!
Don't fit the bill I am afraid.
I didn't think so to be honest, but if you set 'em up I'm gonna have to knock 'em in : )
[quote][p][bold]HJarrs[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]cynic_the[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]HJarrs[/bold] wrote: I am sure the driver of the Jaguar comments regularly in the Argus.[/p][/quote]There's a certain type of 50+, male that seems to be particularly susceptible to road-rage. Usually shorter than average, overweight, balding, with that red-cheeked, near alcoholic complexion. The sort that brake test you for not moving out of their way fast enough. One assumes they do it because they're so unhappy with what's become of them. Jarrs, it's not you is it?![/p][/quote]Don't fit the bill I am afraid.[/p][/quote]I didn't think so to be honest, but if you set 'em up I'm gonna have to knock 'em in : ) cynic_the
  • Score: 4

10:16pm Tue 11 Mar 14

Zamora25 says...

Cyclists should not be allowed anywhere near roads as they have absolutely no awareness or concept of the Highway Code. I think they must shove a copy of it up their arse because one thing is for sure they've never read it or if they have completely ignore every rule in it. Red lights mean nothing to them. One minute they are on the road the next they are on the payment before going back on the road. Riding through red lights, cutting people up. They pay nothing towards the roads. They don't have to insurance, take a practical driving test, theory test, hazard perception or fork out for driving licence, road tax, MOT, Servicing etc. They also travel at a completely different speed and in a completely erratic ad irrational fashion. Cyclists should not be allowed within 100 miles of any road!
Cyclists should not be allowed anywhere near roads as they have absolutely no awareness or concept of the Highway Code. I think they must shove a copy of it up their arse because one thing is for sure they've never read it or if they have completely ignore every rule in it. Red lights mean nothing to them. One minute they are on the road the next they are on the payment before going back on the road. Riding through red lights, cutting people up. They pay nothing towards the roads. They don't have to insurance, take a practical driving test, theory test, hazard perception or fork out for driving licence, road tax, MOT, Servicing etc. They also travel at a completely different speed and in a completely erratic ad irrational fashion. Cyclists should not be allowed within 100 miles of any road! Zamora25
  • Score: -44

10:19pm Tue 11 Mar 14

Buford T Justice says...

Zamora25 wrote:
Cyclists should not be allowed anywhere near roads as they have absolutely no awareness or concept of the Highway Code. I think they must shove a copy of it up their arse because one thing is for sure they've never read it or if they have completely ignore every rule in it. Red lights mean nothing to them. One minute they are on the road the next they are on the payment before going back on the road. Riding through red lights, cutting people up. They pay nothing towards the roads. They don't have to insurance, take a practical driving test, theory test, hazard perception or fork out for driving licence, road tax, MOT, Servicing etc. They also travel at a completely different speed and in a completely erratic ad irrational fashion. Cyclists should not be allowed within 100 miles of any road!
Bell end
[quote][p][bold]Zamora25[/bold] wrote: Cyclists should not be allowed anywhere near roads as they have absolutely no awareness or concept of the Highway Code. I think they must shove a copy of it up their arse because one thing is for sure they've never read it or if they have completely ignore every rule in it. Red lights mean nothing to them. One minute they are on the road the next they are on the payment before going back on the road. Riding through red lights, cutting people up. They pay nothing towards the roads. They don't have to insurance, take a practical driving test, theory test, hazard perception or fork out for driving licence, road tax, MOT, Servicing etc. They also travel at a completely different speed and in a completely erratic ad irrational fashion. Cyclists should not be allowed within 100 miles of any road![/p][/quote]Bell end Buford T Justice
  • Score: 32

10:23pm Tue 11 Mar 14

Fairfax Aches says...

lol this video demonstrates nothing other than that cyclists are a bunch of pansies. If someone spoke to me to me like that I'd jolly well give them whats for.
lol this video demonstrates nothing other than that cyclists are a bunch of pansies. If someone spoke to me to me like that I'd jolly well give them whats for. Fairfax Aches
  • Score: -19

10:33pm Tue 11 Mar 14

Withdean-er says...

cynic_the wrote:
HJarrs wrote:
I am sure the driver of the Jaguar comments regularly in the Argus.
There's a certain type of 50+, male that seems to be particularly susceptible to road-rage. Usually shorter than average, overweight, balding, with that red-cheeked, near alcoholic complexion. The sort that brake test you for not moving out of their way fast enough.

One assumes they do it because they're so unhappy with what's become of them.

Jarrs, it's not you is it?!
The alcoholic suntan gave it away. At his belated age, the old git has gained some misguided self perception that's he's suddenly become 'hard', and that anyone who crosses him on the roads is going to get a bunch of fives and a piece of his slurring mind. He really needs to learn the one lesson to prolong that angry life of his ... behaving like that for a man of his physical state are not good for the heart.
[quote][p][bold]cynic_the[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]HJarrs[/bold] wrote: I am sure the driver of the Jaguar comments regularly in the Argus.[/p][/quote]There's a certain type of 50+, male that seems to be particularly susceptible to road-rage. Usually shorter than average, overweight, balding, with that red-cheeked, near alcoholic complexion. The sort that brake test you for not moving out of their way fast enough. One assumes they do it because they're so unhappy with what's become of them. Jarrs, it's not you is it?![/p][/quote]The alcoholic suntan gave it away. At his belated age, the old git has gained some misguided self perception that's he's suddenly become 'hard', and that anyone who crosses him on the roads is going to get a bunch of fives and a piece of his slurring mind. He really needs to learn the one lesson to prolong that angry life of his ... behaving like that for a man of his physical state are not good for the heart. Withdean-er
  • Score: 24

10:35pm Tue 11 Mar 14

In the sticks says...

Both the cyclist and the driver are knobs and deserve to share time in a cell together.

During that time they might both decide there are better things in life to get on with, and quit being provocational twits.

And 'twonk' - there may be no such word as 'provocatioal' in your dictionary, but try adding it.
Both the cyclist and the driver are knobs and deserve to share time in a cell together. During that time they might both decide there are better things in life to get on with, and quit being provocational twits. And 'twonk' - there may be no such word as 'provocatioal' in your dictionary, but try adding it. In the sticks
  • Score: 1

10:37pm Tue 11 Mar 14

ARMANA says...

Zamora25 wrote:
Cyclists should not be allowed anywhere near roads as they have absolutely no awareness or concept of the Highway Code. I think they must shove a copy of it up their arse because one thing is for sure they've never read it or if they have completely ignore every rule in it. Red lights mean nothing to them. One minute they are on the road the next they are on the payment before going back on the road. Riding through red lights, cutting people up. They pay nothing towards the roads. They don't have to insurance, take a practical driving test, theory test, hazard perception or fork out for driving licence, road tax, MOT, Servicing etc. They also travel at a completely different speed and in a completely erratic ad irrational fashion. Cyclists should not be allowed within 100 miles of any road!
Well said, could'nt have put it better,
[quote][p][bold]Zamora25[/bold] wrote: Cyclists should not be allowed anywhere near roads as they have absolutely no awareness or concept of the Highway Code. I think they must shove a copy of it up their arse because one thing is for sure they've never read it or if they have completely ignore every rule in it. Red lights mean nothing to them. One minute they are on the road the next they are on the payment before going back on the road. Riding through red lights, cutting people up. They pay nothing towards the roads. They don't have to insurance, take a practical driving test, theory test, hazard perception or fork out for driving licence, road tax, MOT, Servicing etc. They also travel at a completely different speed and in a completely erratic ad irrational fashion. Cyclists should not be allowed within 100 miles of any road![/p][/quote]Well said, could'nt have put it better, ARMANA
  • Score: -36

11:03pm Tue 11 Mar 14

Buford T Justice says...

ARMANA wrote:
Zamora25 wrote:
Cyclists should not be allowed anywhere near roads as they have absolutely no awareness or concept of the Highway Code. I think they must shove a copy of it up their arse because one thing is for sure they've never read it or if they have completely ignore every rule in it. Red lights mean nothing to them. One minute they are on the road the next they are on the payment before going back on the road. Riding through red lights, cutting people up. They pay nothing towards the roads. They don't have to insurance, take a practical driving test, theory test, hazard perception or fork out for driving licence, road tax, MOT, Servicing etc. They also travel at a completely different speed and in a completely erratic ad irrational fashion. Cyclists should not be allowed within 100 miles of any road!
Well said, could'nt have put it better,
And another bell end...
[quote][p][bold]ARMANA[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Zamora25[/bold] wrote: Cyclists should not be allowed anywhere near roads as they have absolutely no awareness or concept of the Highway Code. I think they must shove a copy of it up their arse because one thing is for sure they've never read it or if they have completely ignore every rule in it. Red lights mean nothing to them. One minute they are on the road the next they are on the payment before going back on the road. Riding through red lights, cutting people up. They pay nothing towards the roads. They don't have to insurance, take a practical driving test, theory test, hazard perception or fork out for driving licence, road tax, MOT, Servicing etc. They also travel at a completely different speed and in a completely erratic ad irrational fashion. Cyclists should not be allowed within 100 miles of any road![/p][/quote]Well said, could'nt have put it better,[/p][/quote]And another bell end... Buford T Justice
  • Score: 27

11:08pm Tue 11 Mar 14

Stevo98 says...

The Jag driver looks like a sleazy perma-tanned sex tourist who pays Vietnamese children to urinate on him. His own mother disowned him from the will because of his irrational tantrums. That and the smell.
The Jag driver looks like a sleazy perma-tanned sex tourist who pays Vietnamese children to urinate on him. His own mother disowned him from the will because of his irrational tantrums. That and the smell. Stevo98
  • Score: 11

11:51pm Tue 11 Mar 14

Maxwell's Ghost says...

Mr Bell while you may have been angered by the old boy in his Jag, it isn't worth getting into a confrontation with old chaps like this as the likelihood of someone of his age and shaky fitness (looking at his portly stature) suffering a heart attack is quite high and you would find yourself in court being blamed for his demise.
Just leave these old boys alone. He would have trundled off home in his well loved Jag to give his poor missus an ear bashing about ruddy cyclists before sitting down to a pukka pie and a ciggy checking it to see off his timeshare in Nerja is free next week.
Mr Bell while you may have been angered by the old boy in his Jag, it isn't worth getting into a confrontation with old chaps like this as the likelihood of someone of his age and shaky fitness (looking at his portly stature) suffering a heart attack is quite high and you would find yourself in court being blamed for his demise. Just leave these old boys alone. He would have trundled off home in his well loved Jag to give his poor missus an ear bashing about ruddy cyclists before sitting down to a pukka pie and a ciggy checking it to see off his timeshare in Nerja is free next week. Maxwell's Ghost
  • Score: 10

6:59am Wed 12 Mar 14

HJarrs says...

Sadly, there are a tiny minority of drivers that cannot control their temper and will seek physical confrontation. It is not just cyclists that face this abuse, but all other road users. However, cyclists are not wrapped in a tonne of steel and glass to protect them.
Sadly, there are a tiny minority of drivers that cannot control their temper and will seek physical confrontation. It is not just cyclists that face this abuse, but all other road users. However, cyclists are not wrapped in a tonne of steel and glass to protect them. HJarrs
  • Score: 10

7:37am Wed 12 Mar 14

We are the 99% says...

Though I don't want to rush to the defence of people driving these gas guzzlers, something stinks about this video?

Bell recorded the abuse.

Where's the rest of the video Mr Bell?

People don't just ambush people in the street like this for nothing

If this blows up in your face Mr Bell, you will only antagonise the situation of cyclists v motorists further!
Though I don't want to rush to the defence of people driving these gas guzzlers, something stinks about this video? Bell recorded the abuse. Where's the rest of the video Mr Bell? People don't just ambush people in the street like this for nothing If this blows up in your face Mr Bell, you will only antagonise the situation of cyclists v motorists further! We are the 99%
  • Score: 10

7:42am Wed 12 Mar 14

We are the 99% says...

Russ9294 wrote:
I had same thing in St James street Brighton a single one way road was cycling up the road I could hear a car up behind me revving his engine shouting get out of the way you don`t own the road his wing mirror hit my arm I report it to the Polices I got a photo on my phone It usually takes between 5 and 10 minutes to complete a report to Operation Crackdown
Makes a change from a cyclist going down St James's street the wrong way, which is an extremely narrow!
A wing mirror could hit someone on the pavement let alone on a bike!
[quote][p][bold]Russ9294[/bold] wrote: I had same thing in St James street Brighton a single one way road was cycling up the road I could hear a car up behind me revving his engine shouting get out of the way you don`t own the road his wing mirror hit my arm I report it to the Polices I got a photo on my phone It usually takes between 5 and 10 minutes to complete a report to Operation Crackdown[/p][/quote]Makes a change from a cyclist going down St James's street the wrong way, which is an extremely narrow! A wing mirror could hit someone on the pavement let alone on a bike! We are the 99%
  • Score: 3

8:29am Wed 12 Mar 14

Withdean-er says...

HJarrs wrote:
Sadly, there are a tiny minority of drivers that cannot control their temper and will seek physical confrontation. It is not just cyclists that face this abuse, but all other road users. However, cyclists are not wrapped in a tonne of steel and glass to protect them.
Exactly. The petrol-heads in a thread like this, portray the roads as a unified band of car drivers, all obeying the law and paying their taxes, getting on fine with each other, but with a universal loathing of those evil cyclists. But in reality, there is a large minority of car drivers flagrantly using their mobiles whilst driving, jumping lights just turned red, speeding where they can get away with it, cutting into lanes without warning, tailgating, and generally in a rage against any other vehicle drivers who are perceived as holding up their most-importance progress. It's the very same characters such as this old git, that just happen to hate cyclists too. The problem lies in their unhappy psyche.
[quote][p][bold]HJarrs[/bold] wrote: Sadly, there are a tiny minority of drivers that cannot control their temper and will seek physical confrontation. It is not just cyclists that face this abuse, but all other road users. However, cyclists are not wrapped in a tonne of steel and glass to protect them.[/p][/quote]Exactly. The petrol-heads in a thread like this, portray the roads as a unified band of car drivers, all obeying the law and paying their taxes, getting on fine with each other, but with a universal loathing of those evil cyclists. But in reality, there is a large minority of car drivers flagrantly using their mobiles whilst driving, jumping lights just turned red, speeding where they can get away with it, cutting into lanes without warning, tailgating, and generally in a rage against any other vehicle drivers who are perceived as holding up their most-importance progress. It's the very same characters such as this old git, that just happen to hate cyclists too. The problem lies in their unhappy psyche. Withdean-er
  • Score: 16

8:40am Wed 12 Mar 14

upsidedowntuctuc says...

Out of context Clearly the 'innocent' cyclist had verbally abused the prat in the Jag earlier to cause that reaction.
Why wasn't he on the cycle path (put there and paid for to keep cyclists and motorists safe from each other at massive expense to the tax paying public?
Same reason he had a helmet cam so he could wind up motorists ?
Out of context Clearly the 'innocent' cyclist had verbally abused the prat in the Jag earlier to cause that reaction. Why wasn't he on the cycle path (put there and paid for to keep cyclists and motorists safe from each other at massive expense to the tax paying public? Same reason he had a helmet cam so he could wind up motorists ? upsidedowntuctuc
  • Score: -15

9:00am Wed 12 Mar 14

LB says...

"Same reason he had a helmet cam so he could wind up motorists ?"

surely being filmed only winds up people who think they might be doing something wrong and don't want to be caught at it?
"Same reason he had a helmet cam so he could wind up motorists ?" surely being filmed only winds up people who think they might be doing something wrong and don't want to be caught at it? LB
  • Score: 7

10:19am Wed 12 Mar 14

Patsyr says...

Stevo98 wrote:
So the driver commits a TS10 offence, the same as jumping a red light, and then assaults someone who calmly remonstrates. It's people like the Jaguar driver who make the roads unpleasant and intimidatory, tell me honestly, would you want that foul-mouthed grandad driving around near your children?

Another driver who thinks the law doesn't apply to them, I would say a short spell in prison would do him good but if the drivers gets so angry over trivialities I suspect he will be dead from a heart attack soon enough.

I wonder if he hits his wife? Looks the type.
Steve 98 what right have you to assume that he will have a heart attack soon and that he looks the type to hit his wife. So people who hit their wives look a certain way do they ?
Are you known as stupid Steve because if not you should be. Sweeping statements with no means of proving what you say.

I think the cyclist just filmed because he had wound up the car driver and is determined to get him in trouble.
[quote][p][bold]Stevo98[/bold] wrote: So the driver commits a TS10 offence, the same as jumping a red light, and then assaults someone who calmly remonstrates. It's people like the Jaguar driver who make the roads unpleasant and intimidatory, tell me honestly, would you want that foul-mouthed grandad driving around near your children? Another driver who thinks the law doesn't apply to them, I would say a short spell in prison would do him good but if the drivers gets so angry over trivialities I suspect he will be dead from a heart attack soon enough. I wonder if he hits his wife? Looks the type.[/p][/quote]Steve 98 what right have you to assume that he will have a heart attack soon and that he looks the type to hit his wife. So people who hit their wives look a certain way do they ? Are you known as stupid Steve because if not you should be. Sweeping statements with no means of proving what you say. I think the cyclist just filmed because he had wound up the car driver and is determined to get him in trouble. Patsyr
  • Score: -1

10:22am Wed 12 Mar 14

Patsyr says...

ON THE RIVET wrote:
I would say a spell in Prison and followed by some community service and some anger management is needed for this Jaguar driver.

If he is let off with anything less than the above others will copycat him and think it is fine to attack cyclist or other members of the public.

What happens next time he gets angry but is still driving the car will he run over someone !

If there was ever a time to make an example for someone this is it. I hope the judge uses the strongest punishment possible.
None of us should have to put up with this sort of behaviour.

Looking forward to the Argus reporting the full details of this case to make sure justice is done. I wouldn't be surprised if this distasteful man has a previous run ins with the law due to his angry ways.
Prison and community service. How bout the death sentence or firing squad?
This is an argument between motorist and cyclist, that's all. Must happen all the time and no harm done.
[quote][p][bold]ON THE RIVET[/bold] wrote: I would say a spell in Prison and followed by some community service and some anger management is needed for this Jaguar driver. If he is let off with anything less than the above others will copycat him and think it is fine to attack cyclist or other members of the public. What happens next time he gets angry but is still driving the car will he run over someone ! If there was ever a time to make an example for someone this is it. I hope the judge uses the strongest punishment possible. None of us should have to put up with this sort of behaviour. Looking forward to the Argus reporting the full details of this case to make sure justice is done. I wouldn't be surprised if this distasteful man has a previous run ins with the law due to his angry ways.[/p][/quote]Prison and community service. How bout the death sentence or firing squad? This is an argument between motorist and cyclist, that's all. Must happen all the time and no harm done. Patsyr
  • Score: 3

10:24am Wed 12 Mar 14

olliefpm27 says...

I'd love to defend the cyclist, but without knowing what happened preceding this incident, I'm afraid I can't.

I'm not condoning what the jaguar driver did, but clearly something happened to provoke him, as this is not an everyday occurrence.
I'd love to defend the cyclist, but without knowing what happened preceding this incident, I'm afraid I can't. I'm not condoning what the jaguar driver did, but clearly something happened to provoke him, as this is not an everyday occurrence. olliefpm27
  • Score: 9

10:49am Wed 12 Mar 14

r2dean2 says...

Why is it everybody is so quick to blame the cyclist. I agree that the video doesn't show the whole incident. All I will say is this, I'm a cyclist. Both mountain biker and roadie amd obey the rules of the road. If anybody like this car driver does in this video gives me a load of abuse and trys to hit me, then I'm sorry if I'm in the right I will put you flat on your arse. I would rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

You have been warned. Theres too many dangerous drivers out there (as well as dangerous cyclists too)
Why is it everybody is so quick to blame the cyclist. I agree that the video doesn't show the whole incident. All I will say is this, I'm a cyclist. Both mountain biker and roadie amd obey the rules of the road. If anybody like this car driver does in this video gives me a load of abuse and trys to hit me, then I'm sorry if I'm in the right I will put you flat on your arse. I would rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6. You have been warned. Theres too many dangerous drivers out there (as well as dangerous cyclists too) r2dean2
  • Score: 8

10:54am Wed 12 Mar 14

Stevo98 says...

Patsyr wrote:
Stevo98 wrote:
So the driver commits a TS10 offence, the same as jumping a red light, and then assaults someone who calmly remonstrates. It's people like the Jaguar driver who make the roads unpleasant and intimidatory, tell me honestly, would you want that foul-mouthed grandad driving around near your children?

Another driver who thinks the law doesn't apply to them, I would say a short spell in prison would do him good but if the drivers gets so angry over trivialities I suspect he will be dead from a heart attack soon enough.

I wonder if he hits his wife? Looks the type.
Steve 98 what right have you to assume that he will have a heart attack soon and that he looks the type to hit his wife. So people who hit their wives look a certain way do they ?
Are you known as stupid Steve because if not you should be. Sweeping statements with no means of proving what you say.

I think the cyclist just filmed because he had wound up the car driver and is determined to get him in trouble.
No, it's an observation based on research into the psychology of bullies.

Cyclists are seen as an "out group" by drivers, there's a sort of collective responsibility so the sins of the few are visited on the many. Look at the posts on this thread, the chap who says he could have bought a villa if he had a quid for every abusive cyclist he meets. South of France villa, what's that, half a million quid? There's only one hundred thousand regular cyclist commuters in the country, so this person is claiming to have been abused by every regular commuting cyclist in the country five times! Ha ha ha!

The jaguar driver is a bully, the evidence is there on tape. He's the sort of man who uses his fists over trivialities. He's an impotent, rage-fuelled pensioner with a foul mouth.

I think it's likely that he hits his wife. I also think it's likely that his stress levels are off the scale, leading him prone to a heart attack.

The Jaguar driver broke the law and entered an ASL, the same offence as jumping a red light. The cyclist remonstrated, as I would, and the driver responded with a barrage of swear words and an assault.

If you support the car driver you must also support the cyclist who punches anyone who tells the cyclist off for jumping a red light.
[quote][p][bold]Patsyr[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Stevo98[/bold] wrote: So the driver commits a TS10 offence, the same as jumping a red light, and then assaults someone who calmly remonstrates. It's people like the Jaguar driver who make the roads unpleasant and intimidatory, tell me honestly, would you want that foul-mouthed grandad driving around near your children? Another driver who thinks the law doesn't apply to them, I would say a short spell in prison would do him good but if the drivers gets so angry over trivialities I suspect he will be dead from a heart attack soon enough. I wonder if he hits his wife? Looks the type.[/p][/quote]Steve 98 what right have you to assume that he will have a heart attack soon and that he looks the type to hit his wife. So people who hit their wives look a certain way do they ? Are you known as stupid Steve because if not you should be. Sweeping statements with no means of proving what you say. I think the cyclist just filmed because he had wound up the car driver and is determined to get him in trouble.[/p][/quote]No, it's an observation based on research into the psychology of bullies. Cyclists are seen as an "out group" by drivers, there's a sort of collective responsibility so the sins of the few are visited on the many. Look at the posts on this thread, the chap who says he could have bought a villa if he had a quid for every abusive cyclist he meets. South of France villa, what's that, half a million quid? There's only one hundred thousand regular cyclist commuters in the country, so this person is claiming to have been abused by every regular commuting cyclist in the country five times! Ha ha ha! The jaguar driver is a bully, the evidence is there on tape. He's the sort of man who uses his fists over trivialities. He's an impotent, rage-fuelled pensioner with a foul mouth. I think it's likely that he hits his wife. I also think it's likely that his stress levels are off the scale, leading him prone to a heart attack. The Jaguar driver broke the law and entered an ASL, the same offence as jumping a red light. The cyclist remonstrated, as I would, and the driver responded with a barrage of swear words and an assault. If you support the car driver you must also support the cyclist who punches anyone who tells the cyclist off for jumping a red light. Stevo98
  • Score: 7

10:58am Wed 12 Mar 14

We are the 99% says...

My friend has spent the rest of his life on crutches, after being hit by a cyclist going the wrong way down St James's Street!
Did he get an apology at the time?
No! Just abuse!
Most people being killed and injured in Brighton since the introduction of these cycle lanes/bus lanes, have been hit by buses - NOT cars!
I am a cyclist and a motorist!
The comments on here from motorists and cyclists, are truly depressing and border on abuse from both sides!
We used to all get along in this town?
Thanks to the Greens, (like the Tories), they have turned people against each other?
And following private comments I have received from the editorial of this page, it is clear that the motorists will ALWAYS be discriminated against, because one person, had an incident with a motorist, so now hates ALL motorists!
I thought reporting was meant to be neutral?
Let's face facts!
Motorist pay a HEAVY price for the roads!
With out motorists, there would be NO roads!
You think about that you cyclist!
Who'll pay for the roads when you drive cars off them?
You that's who!
Balanced reporting is now impossible on this website and Evening Argus, so I am therefore, boycotting this Argus webite comment page and the Evening Argus, as I am sick to death, with living in a once happy town, where now. all we have, is hatred of each other, a hatted that is being stoked by unbalanced reporting and editorials!

Good bye!
My friend has spent the rest of his life on crutches, after being hit by a cyclist going the wrong way down St James's Street! Did he get an apology at the time? No! Just abuse! Most people being killed and injured in Brighton since the introduction of these cycle lanes/bus lanes, have been hit by buses - NOT cars! I am a cyclist and a motorist! The comments on here from motorists and cyclists, are truly depressing and border on abuse from both sides! We used to all get along in this town? Thanks to the Greens, (like the Tories), they have turned people against each other? And following private comments I have received from the editorial of this page, it is clear that the motorists will ALWAYS be discriminated against, because one person, had an incident with a motorist, so now hates ALL motorists! I thought reporting was meant to be neutral? Let's face facts! Motorist pay a HEAVY price for the roads! With out motorists, there would be NO roads! You think about that you cyclist! Who'll pay for the roads when you drive cars off them? You that's who! Balanced reporting is now impossible on this website and Evening Argus, so I am therefore, boycotting this Argus webite comment page and the Evening Argus, as I am sick to death, with living in a once happy town, where now. all we have, is hatred of each other, a hatted that is being stoked by unbalanced reporting and editorials! Good bye! We are the 99%
  • Score: -6

11:18am Wed 12 Mar 14

From beer to uncertainty says...

There's a few cyclists in Brighton that seem to really be looking for trouble and/or compensation by positioning themselves in blind spots and preparing to kick the car and fall off their bike. I've seen it done twice now - they clearly knew what they were doing - carefully keeping their position and preparing the right-footed kick well in advance of a car turning left. Absolutely disgraceful and clearly premeditated.
It's their intimidation of elderly walkers on the seafront that is, frankly, quite sickening.
There's a few cyclists in Brighton that seem to really be looking for trouble and/or compensation by positioning themselves in blind spots and preparing to kick the car and fall off their bike. I've seen it done twice now - they clearly knew what they were doing - carefully keeping their position and preparing the right-footed kick well in advance of a car turning left. Absolutely disgraceful and clearly premeditated. It's their intimidation of elderly walkers on the seafront that is, frankly, quite sickening. From beer to uncertainty
  • Score: -3

11:35am Wed 12 Mar 14

Stevo98 says...

"My friend has spent the rest of his life on crutches, after being hit by a cyclist going the wrong way down St James's Street! "

What's your friend's name? I don't remember any such incident being reported, which is unusual, because pedestrians getting injured by cyclists is incredibly rare, cyclists constitute 2% of road traffic but are involved in fewer than 2% of pedestrian injuries.

"I've seen it done twice now - they clearly knew what they were doing - carefully keeping their position and preparing the right-footed kick well in advance of a car turning left. "

Why was the car turning when there was a cyclist there? What do you mean by "blind spot"- the Highway Code makes it clear you should NOT turn without checking it's safe.
"My friend has spent the rest of his life on crutches, after being hit by a cyclist going the wrong way down St James's Street! " What's your friend's name? I don't remember any such incident being reported, which is unusual, because pedestrians getting injured by cyclists is incredibly rare, cyclists constitute 2% of road traffic but are involved in fewer than 2% of pedestrian injuries. "I've seen it done twice now - they clearly knew what they were doing - carefully keeping their position and preparing the right-footed kick well in advance of a car turning left. " Why was the car turning when there was a cyclist there? What do you mean by "blind spot"- the Highway Code makes it clear you should NOT turn without checking it's safe. Stevo98
  • Score: 12

12:36pm Wed 12 Mar 14

clubrob6 says...

Cyclists are a problem in brighton and hove as they ignore the rules of the road,the other day I was waiting at a crossing church road in hove all cars stopped but two bikes just ignored the red light.Hove seafront cyclists just ignore the no cyclist signs,and travel faster than the cars do on the road.Two sides to every story probably in this case the cyclist provoked the driver.
Cyclists are a problem in brighton and hove as they ignore the rules of the road,the other day I was waiting at a crossing church road in hove all cars stopped but two bikes just ignored the red light.Hove seafront cyclists just ignore the no cyclist signs,and travel faster than the cars do on the road.Two sides to every story probably in this case the cyclist provoked the driver. clubrob6
  • Score: 0

12:47pm Wed 12 Mar 14

clubrob6 says...

ronrostog wrote:
Sounds like the cyclist gave some lip to the wrong bloke this particular day and got it back in droves. Nothing else to be said.
Exactly two sides to this story I think the cyclist has obviously done something first its very obvious the cyclist provoked the driver.
[quote][p][bold]ronrostog[/bold] wrote: Sounds like the cyclist gave some lip to the wrong bloke this particular day and got it back in droves. Nothing else to be said.[/p][/quote]Exactly two sides to this story I think the cyclist has obviously done something first its very obvious the cyclist provoked the driver. clubrob6
  • Score: 5

12:49pm Wed 12 Mar 14

wippasnapper says...

Are yes Mr. Bell denies any wrongdoing to provoke the man's extreme reaction of cores you do but maybe you just forgot the verbal altercation you gave the motorists some where up the road to the reason why he then reacted in such an aggressive manna towards you anti-social driving are dote you mean anti-social cycling “It's the principle - you cannot treat people like that.” As you stated but most cyclist are “anti-social” road uses giving it the verbs and hand signals but if a motorist dose it he’s being anti-social so my I ask Mr. Bell what’s the different’s from an anti-social cyclist to an anti-social motorist bet I dote get a response, and again ill state all cyclist by law MUST use hand signals MUST have reflectors Must have light or reflective clothing & MUST have lights front and back and it is now also law that you MUST not right your bicycle on a pavement or footpath unless there is a cycle path! Check it out Agues! Before you go promoting cycle awareness.
Are yes Mr. Bell denies any wrongdoing to provoke the man's extreme reaction of cores you do but maybe you just forgot the verbal altercation you gave the motorists some where up the road to the reason why he then reacted in such an aggressive manna towards you anti-social driving are dote you mean anti-social cycling “It's the principle - you cannot treat people like that.” As you stated but most cyclist are “anti-social” road uses giving it the verbs and hand signals but if a motorist dose it he’s being anti-social so my I ask Mr. Bell what’s the different’s from an anti-social cyclist to an anti-social motorist bet I dote get a response, and again ill state all cyclist by law MUST use hand signals MUST have reflectors Must have light or reflective clothing & MUST have lights front and back and it is now also law that you MUST not right your bicycle on a pavement or footpath unless there is a cycle path! Check it out Agues! Before you go promoting cycle awareness. wippasnapper
  • Score: 0

1:51pm Wed 12 Mar 14

gheese77 says...

We are the 99% wrote:
My friend has spent the rest of his life on crutches, after being hit by a cyclist going the wrong way down St James's Street!
Did he get an apology at the time?
No! Just abuse!
Most people being killed and injured in Brighton since the introduction of these cycle lanes/bus lanes, have been hit by buses - NOT cars!
I am a cyclist and a motorist!
The comments on here from motorists and cyclists, are truly depressing and border on abuse from both sides!
We used to all get along in this town?
Thanks to the Greens, (like the Tories), they have turned people against each other?
And following private comments I have received from the editorial of this page, it is clear that the motorists will ALWAYS be discriminated against, because one person, had an incident with a motorist, so now hates ALL motorists!
I thought reporting was meant to be neutral?
Let's face facts!
Motorist pay a HEAVY price for the roads!
With out motorists, there would be NO roads!
You think about that you cyclist!
Who'll pay for the roads when you drive cars off them?
You that's who!
Balanced reporting is now impossible on this website and Evening Argus, so I am therefore, boycotting this Argus webite comment page and the Evening Argus, as I am sick to death, with living in a once happy town, where now. all we have, is hatred of each other, a hatted that is being stoked by unbalanced reporting and editorials!

Good bye!
There were roads before cars you know. There were even roads before bicycles which were invented before cars
[quote][p][bold]We are the 99%[/bold] wrote: My friend has spent the rest of his life on crutches, after being hit by a cyclist going the wrong way down St James's Street! Did he get an apology at the time? No! Just abuse! Most people being killed and injured in Brighton since the introduction of these cycle lanes/bus lanes, have been hit by buses - NOT cars! I am a cyclist and a motorist! The comments on here from motorists and cyclists, are truly depressing and border on abuse from both sides! We used to all get along in this town? Thanks to the Greens, (like the Tories), they have turned people against each other? And following private comments I have received from the editorial of this page, it is clear that the motorists will ALWAYS be discriminated against, because one person, had an incident with a motorist, so now hates ALL motorists! I thought reporting was meant to be neutral? Let's face facts! Motorist pay a HEAVY price for the roads! With out motorists, there would be NO roads! You think about that you cyclist! Who'll pay for the roads when you drive cars off them? You that's who! Balanced reporting is now impossible on this website and Evening Argus, so I am therefore, boycotting this Argus webite comment page and the Evening Argus, as I am sick to death, with living in a once happy town, where now. all we have, is hatred of each other, a hatted that is being stoked by unbalanced reporting and editorials! Good bye![/p][/quote]There were roads before cars you know. There were even roads before bicycles which were invented before cars gheese77
  • Score: 4

1:52pm Wed 12 Mar 14

WhiteTiger1699 says...

I'm sick of cyclists always playing the victim, whilst arrogantly ignoring pedestrian safety, riding on pavements and acting like animals in an incredibly aggresive manner.
Meanwhile, the police fail in their duty to protect the public from cyclists.
The fewer cyclists there are, the safer the world would be for all of us!
I'm sick of cyclists always playing the victim, whilst arrogantly ignoring pedestrian safety, riding on pavements and acting like animals in an incredibly aggresive manner. Meanwhile, the police fail in their duty to protect the public from cyclists. The fewer cyclists there are, the safer the world would be for all of us! WhiteTiger1699
  • Score: -3

2:20pm Wed 12 Mar 14

r2dean2 says...

WhiteTiger1699 wrote:
I'm sick of cyclists always playing the victim, whilst arrogantly ignoring pedestrian safety, riding on pavements and acting like animals in an incredibly aggresive manner.
Meanwhile, the police fail in their duty to protect the public from cyclists.
The fewer cyclists there are, the safer the world would be for all of us!
Like pedestrians pay attention to cyclists. They just.step out into tge road without even looking whist chatting on their phones. The police should be able to charge pedestrians with J walking like they do in the states. I ride and I obey the rules of the high code. Half the problem is ignorant people on both sides. You need to see it from the cyclist prospective. I walk, cycle and drive.
[quote][p][bold]WhiteTiger1699[/bold] wrote: I'm sick of cyclists always playing the victim, whilst arrogantly ignoring pedestrian safety, riding on pavements and acting like animals in an incredibly aggresive manner. Meanwhile, the police fail in their duty to protect the public from cyclists. The fewer cyclists there are, the safer the world would be for all of us![/p][/quote]Like pedestrians pay attention to cyclists. They just.step out into tge road without even looking whist chatting on their phones. The police should be able to charge pedestrians with J walking like they do in the states. I ride and I obey the rules of the high code. Half the problem is ignorant people on both sides. You need to see it from the cyclist prospective. I walk, cycle and drive. r2dean2
  • Score: 6

2:25pm Wed 12 Mar 14

r2dean2 says...

Like pedestrians pay attention to cyclists. They just.step out into tge road without even looking whist chatting on their phones. The police should be able to charge pedestrians with J walking like they do in the states. I ride and I obey the rules of the high code. Half the problem is ignorant people on both sides. You need to see it from the cyclist prospective. I walk, cycle and drive.
Like pedestrians pay attention to cyclists. They just.step out into tge road without even looking whist chatting on their phones. The police should be able to charge pedestrians with J walking like they do in the states. I ride and I obey the rules of the high code. Half the problem is ignorant people on both sides. You need to see it from the cyclist prospective. I walk, cycle and drive. r2dean2
  • Score: -1

4:18pm Wed 12 Mar 14

ARMANA says...

Buford T Justice wrote:
ARMANA wrote:
Zamora25 wrote:
Cyclists should not be allowed anywhere near roads as they have absolutely no awareness or concept of the Highway Code. I think they must shove a copy of it up their arse because one thing is for sure they've never read it or if they have completely ignore every rule in it. Red lights mean nothing to them. One minute they are on the road the next they are on the payment before going back on the road. Riding through red lights, cutting people up. They pay nothing towards the roads. They don't have to insurance, take a practical driving test, theory test, hazard perception or fork out for driving licence, road tax, MOT, Servicing etc. They also travel at a completely different speed and in a completely erratic ad irrational fashion. Cyclists should not be allowed within 100 miles of any road!
Well said, could'nt have put it better,
And another bell end...
You seem to be an expert with bell ends, shirt lifter, !!!
[quote][p][bold]Buford T Justice[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ARMANA[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Zamora25[/bold] wrote: Cyclists should not be allowed anywhere near roads as they have absolutely no awareness or concept of the Highway Code. I think they must shove a copy of it up their arse because one thing is for sure they've never read it or if they have completely ignore every rule in it. Red lights mean nothing to them. One minute they are on the road the next they are on the payment before going back on the road. Riding through red lights, cutting people up. They pay nothing towards the roads. They don't have to insurance, take a practical driving test, theory test, hazard perception or fork out for driving licence, road tax, MOT, Servicing etc. They also travel at a completely different speed and in a completely erratic ad irrational fashion. Cyclists should not be allowed within 100 miles of any road![/p][/quote]Well said, could'nt have put it better,[/p][/quote]And another bell end...[/p][/quote]You seem to be an expert with bell ends, shirt lifter, !!! ARMANA
  • Score: 0

4:22pm Wed 12 Mar 14

Bill in Hanover says...

Stevo98 wrote:
So the driver commits a TS10 offence, the same as jumping a red light, and then assaults someone who calmly remonstrates. It's people like the Jaguar driver who make the roads unpleasant and intimidatory, tell me honestly, would you want that foul-mouthed grandad driving around near your children?

Another driver who thinks the law doesn't apply to them, I would say a short spell in prison would do him good but if the drivers gets so angry over trivialities I suspect he will be dead from a heart attack soon enough.

I wonder if he hits his wife? Looks the type.
I would like to know what happened in the minutes leading up to the dispute. Admittedly there is no excuse for the abusive language but the edited clip does show a rather one sided view. Perhaps if the cyclist put the whole episode on You Tube people could make a more balanced judgement.
[quote][p][bold]Stevo98[/bold] wrote: So the driver commits a TS10 offence, the same as jumping a red light, and then assaults someone who calmly remonstrates. It's people like the Jaguar driver who make the roads unpleasant and intimidatory, tell me honestly, would you want that foul-mouthed grandad driving around near your children? Another driver who thinks the law doesn't apply to them, I would say a short spell in prison would do him good but if the drivers gets so angry over trivialities I suspect he will be dead from a heart attack soon enough. I wonder if he hits his wife? Looks the type.[/p][/quote]I would like to know what happened in the minutes leading up to the dispute. Admittedly there is no excuse for the abusive language but the edited clip does show a rather one sided view. Perhaps if the cyclist put the whole episode on You Tube people could make a more balanced judgement. Bill in Hanover
  • Score: 7

7:02pm Wed 12 Mar 14

thevoiceoftruth says...

I find these arguments about drivers v cyclists completely pointless. There are good and bad amongst both parties. A bit more consideration for others would go a long way in making the roads safer for everyone.
I find these arguments about drivers v cyclists completely pointless. There are good and bad amongst both parties. A bit more consideration for others would go a long way in making the roads safer for everyone. thevoiceoftruth
  • Score: 14

3:39pm Thu 13 Mar 14

downfader says...

Bill in Hanover wrote:
Stevo98 wrote:
So the driver commits a TS10 offence, the same as jumping a red light, and then assaults someone who calmly remonstrates. It's people like the Jaguar driver who make the roads unpleasant and intimidatory, tell me honestly, would you want that foul-mouthed grandad driving around near your children?

Another driver who thinks the law doesn't apply to them, I would say a short spell in prison would do him good but if the drivers gets so angry over trivialities I suspect he will be dead from a heart attack soon enough.

I wonder if he hits his wife? Looks the type.
I would like to know what happened in the minutes leading up to the dispute. Admittedly there is no excuse for the abusive language but the edited clip does show a rather one sided view. Perhaps if the cyclist put the whole episode on You Tube people could make a more balanced judgement.
Its not an edited clip. Its the moment he turned his phone on. How do you know the cyclist hasn't told the truth?
[quote][p][bold]Bill in Hanover[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Stevo98[/bold] wrote: So the driver commits a TS10 offence, the same as jumping a red light, and then assaults someone who calmly remonstrates. It's people like the Jaguar driver who make the roads unpleasant and intimidatory, tell me honestly, would you want that foul-mouthed grandad driving around near your children? Another driver who thinks the law doesn't apply to them, I would say a short spell in prison would do him good but if the drivers gets so angry over trivialities I suspect he will be dead from a heart attack soon enough. I wonder if he hits his wife? Looks the type.[/p][/quote]I would like to know what happened in the minutes leading up to the dispute. Admittedly there is no excuse for the abusive language but the edited clip does show a rather one sided view. Perhaps if the cyclist put the whole episode on You Tube people could make a more balanced judgement.[/p][/quote]Its not an edited clip. Its the moment he turned his phone on. How do you know the cyclist hasn't told the truth? downfader
  • Score: 1

4:01pm Thu 13 Mar 14

Richada says...

We are the 99% wrote:
My friend has spent the rest of his life on crutches, after being hit by a cyclist going the wrong way down St James's Street!
Did he get an apology at the time?
No! Just abuse!
Most people being killed and injured in Brighton since the introduction of these cycle lanes/bus lanes, have been hit by buses - NOT cars!
I am a cyclist and a motorist!
The comments on here from motorists and cyclists, are truly depressing and border on abuse from both sides!
We used to all get along in this town?
Thanks to the Greens, (like the Tories), they have turned people against each other?
And following private comments I have received from the editorial of this page, it is clear that the motorists will ALWAYS be discriminated against, because one person, had an incident with a motorist, so now hates ALL motorists!
I thought reporting was meant to be neutral?
Let's face facts!
Motorist pay a HEAVY price for the roads!
With out motorists, there would be NO roads!
You think about that you cyclist!
Who'll pay for the roads when you drive cars off them?
You that's who!
Balanced reporting is now impossible on this website and Evening Argus, so I am therefore, boycotting this Argus webite comment page and the Evening Argus, as I am sick to death, with living in a once happy town, where now. all we have, is hatred of each other, a hatted that is being stoked by unbalanced reporting and editorials!

Good bye!
It saddens me that you feel aggrieved enough to boycott the Argus and its comments forums; there is an awful lot of truth in what you say here.

However, surely it is our "counter arguments" that actually provide balance to the original reporting? I don't know about you, but personally I spend far more time considering the views of the commentators than I do the report itself.

With a couple of notable exceptions, agree with the commentator or not, usually the opinion expressed by them is done from a position of rationed thought - as indeed is your post above.
[quote][p][bold]We are the 99%[/bold] wrote: My friend has spent the rest of his life on crutches, after being hit by a cyclist going the wrong way down St James's Street! Did he get an apology at the time? No! Just abuse! Most people being killed and injured in Brighton since the introduction of these cycle lanes/bus lanes, have been hit by buses - NOT cars! I am a cyclist and a motorist! The comments on here from motorists and cyclists, are truly depressing and border on abuse from both sides! We used to all get along in this town? Thanks to the Greens, (like the Tories), they have turned people against each other? And following private comments I have received from the editorial of this page, it is clear that the motorists will ALWAYS be discriminated against, because one person, had an incident with a motorist, so now hates ALL motorists! I thought reporting was meant to be neutral? Let's face facts! Motorist pay a HEAVY price for the roads! With out motorists, there would be NO roads! You think about that you cyclist! Who'll pay for the roads when you drive cars off them? You that's who! Balanced reporting is now impossible on this website and Evening Argus, so I am therefore, boycotting this Argus webite comment page and the Evening Argus, as I am sick to death, with living in a once happy town, where now. all we have, is hatred of each other, a hatted that is being stoked by unbalanced reporting and editorials! Good bye![/p][/quote]It saddens me that you feel aggrieved enough to boycott the Argus and its comments forums; there is an awful lot of truth in what you say here. However, surely it is our "counter arguments" that actually provide balance to the original reporting? I don't know about you, but personally I spend far more time considering the views of the commentators than I do the report itself. With a couple of notable exceptions, agree with the commentator or not, usually the opinion expressed by them is done from a position of rationed thought - as indeed is your post above. Richada
  • Score: 2

4:28pm Thu 13 Mar 14

Richada says...

HJarrs wrote:
Sadly, there are a tiny minority of drivers that cannot control their temper and will seek physical confrontation. It is not just cyclists that face this abuse, but all other road users. However, cyclists are not wrapped in a tonne of steel and glass to protect them.
Thank you for the voice of reason there HJ.

As in so many other spheres of life, the minority give the majority a bad name - who in turn, as a group, all end up tarred with the same brush.

It now requires a collective voice of reason - from all parties (press, politicians, spin doctors, road users and yes, Argus commentators) - to quell the palpable hatred that has been stirred up between various road using "factions" as they have now become.

The very fact that this recorded incident took place in Eastbourne shows that the problem is not in any way unique to Brighton and Hove, but surely as a city renowned for its' tolerance in other matters, we should be setting a national example in shared road usage and tolerance towards all who travel about the city, however they do so.
[quote][p][bold]HJarrs[/bold] wrote: Sadly, there are a tiny minority of drivers that cannot control their temper and will seek physical confrontation. It is not just cyclists that face this abuse, but all other road users. However, cyclists are not wrapped in a tonne of steel and glass to protect them.[/p][/quote]Thank you for the voice of reason there HJ. As in so many other spheres of life, the minority give the majority a bad name - who in turn, as a group, all end up tarred with the same brush. It now requires a collective voice of reason - from all parties (press, politicians, spin doctors, road users and yes, Argus commentators) - to quell the palpable hatred that has been stirred up between various road using "factions" as they have now become. The very fact that this recorded incident took place in Eastbourne shows that the problem is not in any way unique to Brighton and Hove, but surely as a city renowned for its' tolerance in other matters, we should be setting a national example in shared road usage and tolerance towards all who travel about the city, however they do so. Richada
  • Score: 2

4:09am Fri 14 Mar 14

losdude says...

I doubt the cyclist was going along filming his entire journey, that's prob why the beginning of this altercation is not on video, duh!!

though I do find it a strange think between cyclists and motorists..... if someone was walking and got a bit close to someone else they wouldn't start calling them a w******, and if someone was walking and got called a w******* you wouldn't stop and try to start a fight, most sane people would just be 'whatever you loser' and carry on, wouldn't they?
I doubt the cyclist was going along filming his entire journey, that's prob why the beginning of this altercation is not on video, duh!! though I do find it a strange think between cyclists and motorists..... if someone was walking and got a bit close to someone else they wouldn't start calling them a w******, and if someone was walking and got called a w******* you wouldn't stop and try to start a fight, most sane people would just be 'whatever you loser' and carry on, wouldn't they? losdude
  • Score: 1

3:06pm Fri 14 Mar 14

Gagrivar says...

Russ9294 wrote:
I had same thing in St James street Brighton a single one way road was cycling up the road I could hear a car up behind me revving his engine shouting get out of the way you don`t own the road his wing mirror hit my arm I report it to the Polices I got a photo on my phone It usually takes between 5 and 10 minutes to complete a report to Operation Crackdown
My other half had the same thing on St James Street as well. Although the cyclist was on the pavement, and rightly got a mouthful. The guy had a helmet mounted camera, full Lycra cycling set-up and everything, acting like he was on the tour de france, but was still playing on the pavement like a four year old child.

I doubt he uploaded that one to youtube.
[quote][p][bold]Russ9294[/bold] wrote: I had same thing in St James street Brighton a single one way road was cycling up the road I could hear a car up behind me revving his engine shouting get out of the way you don`t own the road his wing mirror hit my arm I report it to the Polices I got a photo on my phone It usually takes between 5 and 10 minutes to complete a report to Operation Crackdown[/p][/quote]My other half had the same thing on St James Street as well. Although the cyclist was on the pavement, and rightly got a mouthful. The guy had a helmet mounted camera, full Lycra cycling set-up and everything, acting like he was on the tour de france, but was still playing on the pavement like a four year old child. I doubt he uploaded that one to youtube. Gagrivar
  • Score: 0

3:19pm Fri 14 Mar 14

flapper48 says...

more films from Eddie. Eddie using a cycle lane.Eddie stops at a red light.Eddie fights a little girl and the unforgettable Eddie performs a D I Y endoscopy using his head cam and a little saddle sore cream
more films from Eddie. Eddie using a cycle lane.Eddie stops at a red light.Eddie fights a little girl and the unforgettable Eddie performs a D I Y endoscopy using his head cam and a little saddle sore cream flapper48
  • Score: -1

3:13pm Sat 15 Mar 14

Stevo98 says...

The driver's been traced, arrested and charges to follow. Silly, immature man.
The driver's been traced, arrested and charges to follow. Silly, immature man. Stevo98
  • Score: 1

1:46pm Mon 17 Mar 14

Mr chock says...

Stevo98 wrote:
The driver's been traced, arrested and charges to follow. Silly, immature man.
i have this a lot ... A LOT i dont mind tapping on cars that stick out in to the cycle lane and i also if i get a chance tell drivers about broken rear lights and if they have a flat tyre ALL GOOD THINGS i know but the article here seems slanted to the cyclist . i did not see the start i dont know why the Jaguare driver was standing there and then i also have another question WHO WHO gets so bothered by silly names ... its clear he " the raging Jag man did not like what was being shouted by the cyclist WHO has absolutely no protection if that car her crashed in to him .. i see a cycle lane there or am i mistaken ?
[quote][p][bold]Stevo98[/bold] wrote: The driver's been traced, arrested and charges to follow. Silly, immature man.[/p][/quote]i have this a lot ... A LOT i dont mind tapping on cars that stick out in to the cycle lane and i also if i get a chance tell drivers about broken rear lights and if they have a flat tyre ALL GOOD THINGS i know but the article here seems slanted to the cyclist . i did not see the start i dont know why the Jaguare driver was standing there and then i also have another question WHO WHO gets so bothered by silly names ... its clear he " the raging Jag man did not like what was being shouted by the cyclist WHO has absolutely no protection if that car her crashed in to him .. i see a cycle lane there or am i mistaken ? Mr chock
  • Score: 1

1:29pm Tue 18 Mar 14

WhiteTiger1699 says...

r2dean2 wrote:
WhiteTiger1699 wrote: I'm sick of cyclists always playing the victim, whilst arrogantly ignoring pedestrian safety, riding on pavements and acting like animals in an incredibly aggresive manner. Meanwhile, the police fail in their duty to protect the public from cyclists. The fewer cyclists there are, the safer the world would be for all of us!
Like pedestrians pay attention to cyclists. They just.step out into tge road without even looking whist chatting on their phones. The police should be able to charge pedestrians with J walking like they do in the states. I ride and I obey the rules of the high code. Half the problem is ignorant people on both sides. You need to see it from the cyclist prospective. I walk, cycle and drive.
heheh! You obey the highway code? But you a cyclist- let's be honest my friend, obeying the highway code and being a cyclist are contradictions in terms due (especially) to cyclists' arrogance!
[quote][p][bold]r2dean2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]WhiteTiger1699[/bold] wrote: I'm sick of cyclists always playing the victim, whilst arrogantly ignoring pedestrian safety, riding on pavements and acting like animals in an incredibly aggresive manner. Meanwhile, the police fail in their duty to protect the public from cyclists. The fewer cyclists there are, the safer the world would be for all of us![/p][/quote]Like pedestrians pay attention to cyclists. They just.step out into tge road without even looking whist chatting on their phones. The police should be able to charge pedestrians with J walking like they do in the states. I ride and I obey the rules of the high code. Half the problem is ignorant people on both sides. You need to see it from the cyclist prospective. I walk, cycle and drive.[/p][/quote]heheh! You obey the highway code? But you a cyclist- let's be honest my friend, obeying the highway code and being a cyclist are contradictions in terms due (especially) to cyclists' arrogance! WhiteTiger1699
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree