Rebel Brighton and Hove Greens launch yet another leadership coup

Jason Kitcat

Phelim MacCafferty

First published in News by

Rebel Greens have launched yet another attempt to oust Jason Kitcat - with his former deputy announcing he will stand against him in the party's annual elections.

A year after fending of a similar threat, the elected head of Brighton and Hove City Council is facing more unrest within his own party.

Former deputy council leader Phelim MacCafferty has confirmed he will stand against Coun Kitcat in the vote to be the group's convenor.

It comes after a group of rebels failed in their attempt to change the way the leader of the Green group on the local authority is elected.

A motion was due to be discussed at a party meeting at the end of last month.

But The Argus understands the motion was postponed due to the council's budget needing more time to be discussed.

However, sources claim it will be brought back at a future date with the intention of changing the rules for a future election.

In the more immediate future, Coun MacCafferty will stand against Coun Kitcat in the 2014/15 vote - the year before the local elections.

It was confirmed as ballot papers were sent out to local members this week with the result of the vote expected in a few weeks.

Coun MacCafferty and Coun Kitcat did not provide any comment on the issue.

But senior Green Party figures said it was unlikely that the former would receive enough votes to oust the current council leader.

One town hall source questioned why anyone would want to take up the mantle a year before the elections.

It comes a year after Coun MacCafferty ducked out of standing against Coun Kitcat to be convenor.

This was despite the ward councillor for Brunswick and Adelaide displaying public disloyalty by addressing striking bin men outside Brighton Town Hall as Coun Kitcat was inside defending the council's loan to change their pay.

When Coun MacCafferty refused to stand in the internal vote, rebels voted to re-open nominations rather than support the council leader.

But Coun Kitcat was re-elected narrowly with the overall support of both his council colleagues and wider local party.

Comments (44)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:09am Thu 13 Mar 14

JHunty says...

But HJARRS has repeatedly stated that Jason has the FULL SUPPORT of ALL his colleagues. So none of this can be true it must just be the Labourite Daily Mail Argus making things up. Or could it be, could it possibly be that HJARRS was suffering from a truth deficit? It was blinding obvious this would happen once Jason had failed to deliver the council tax rise the Duncanistas wanted.
But HJARRS has repeatedly stated that Jason has the FULL SUPPORT of ALL his colleagues. So none of this can be true it must just be the Labourite Daily Mail Argus making things up. Or could it be, could it possibly be that HJARRS was suffering from a truth deficit? It was blinding obvious this would happen once Jason had failed to deliver the council tax rise the Duncanistas wanted. JHunty
  • Score: 16

6:10am Thu 13 Mar 14

Gribbet says...

Hey Argus, just thought I'd point out that a coup and an election are two very different things.

Hope that clears things up.
Hey Argus, just thought I'd point out that a coup and an election are two very different things. Hope that clears things up. Gribbet
  • Score: 3

6:18am Thu 13 Mar 14

JHunty says...

Gribbet wrote:
Hey Argus, just thought I'd point out that a coup and an election are two very different things.

Hope that clears things up.
But HJARRS has repeatedly stated that Jason has the full support of ALL his colleagues so how is this possible?
Dirty protests all round!
[quote][p][bold]Gribbet[/bold] wrote: Hey Argus, just thought I'd point out that a coup and an election are two very different things. Hope that clears things up.[/p][/quote]But HJARRS has repeatedly stated that Jason has the full support of ALL his colleagues so how is this possible? Dirty protests all round! JHunty
  • Score: 10

6:22am Thu 13 Mar 14

JHunty says...

Gribbet wrote:
Hey Argus, just thought I'd point out that a coup and an election are two very different things.

Hope that clears things up.
Yeah typical facist labourite Argus. Have you greens made your minds up yet whether The Argus is labourite or the new Daily Mail? Funny how when Argus commentators criticise Jason they are dismissed as moanerati but when Green Party members make the same criticisms it is a shining example of democracy in action.
[quote][p][bold]Gribbet[/bold] wrote: Hey Argus, just thought I'd point out that a coup and an election are two very different things. Hope that clears things up.[/p][/quote]Yeah typical facist labourite Argus. Have you greens made your minds up yet whether The Argus is labourite or the new Daily Mail? Funny how when Argus commentators criticise Jason they are dismissed as moanerati but when Green Party members make the same criticisms it is a shining example of democracy in action. JHunty
  • Score: 8

6:25am Thu 13 Mar 14

Take it Personally says...

have a break Kitcat
have a break Kitcat Take it Personally
  • Score: 18

6:27am Thu 13 Mar 14

Gribbet says...

JHunty wrote:
Gribbet wrote:
Hey Argus, just thought I'd point out that a coup and an election are two very different things.

Hope that clears things up.
But HJARRS has repeatedly stated that Jason has the full support of ALL his colleagues so how is this possible?
Dirty protests all round!
No idea, ask hjarrs. I was pointing out that a coup and an election are two very different things.
[quote][p][bold]JHunty[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gribbet[/bold] wrote: Hey Argus, just thought I'd point out that a coup and an election are two very different things. Hope that clears things up.[/p][/quote]But HJARRS has repeatedly stated that Jason has the full support of ALL his colleagues so how is this possible? Dirty protests all round![/p][/quote]No idea, ask hjarrs. I was pointing out that a coup and an election are two very different things. Gribbet
  • Score: 5

6:27am Thu 13 Mar 14

roystony says...

What are you on about jhunty
What are you on about jhunty roystony
  • Score: 5

6:34am Thu 13 Mar 14

Gribbet says...

JHunty wrote:
Gribbet wrote:
Hey Argus, just thought I'd point out that a coup and an election are two very different things.

Hope that clears things up.
Yeah typical facist labourite Argus. Have you greens made your minds up yet whether The Argus is labourite or the new Daily Mail? Funny how when Argus commentators criticise Jason they are dismissed as moanerati but when Green Party members make the same criticisms it is a shining example of democracy in action.
What does this have to do with me pointing out that a coup and an election are not the same thing?
[quote][p][bold]JHunty[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gribbet[/bold] wrote: Hey Argus, just thought I'd point out that a coup and an election are two very different things. Hope that clears things up.[/p][/quote]Yeah typical facist labourite Argus. Have you greens made your minds up yet whether The Argus is labourite or the new Daily Mail? Funny how when Argus commentators criticise Jason they are dismissed as moanerati but when Green Party members make the same criticisms it is a shining example of democracy in action.[/p][/quote]What does this have to do with me pointing out that a coup and an election are not the same thing? Gribbet
  • Score: 7

7:00am Thu 13 Mar 14

BornInBrighton1968 says...

Let's hope Phelim 'Dirty Boy' McCafferty is kept away from Council microwave ovens
Let's hope Phelim 'Dirty Boy' McCafferty is kept away from Council microwave ovens BornInBrighton1968
  • Score: 21

7:30am Thu 13 Mar 14

JHunty says...

Gribbet wrote:
JHunty wrote:
Gribbet wrote:
Hey Argus, just thought I'd point out that a coup and an election are two very different things.

Hope that clears things up.
Yeah typical facist labourite Argus. Have you greens made your minds up yet whether The Argus is labourite or the new Daily Mail? Funny how when Argus commentators criticise Jason they are dismissed as moanerati but when Green Party members make the same criticisms it is a shining example of democracy in action.
What does this have to do with me pointing out that a coup and an election are not the same thing?
Read my post, its not difficult you are yet again accusing the Argus of being in some way lacking in their reporting of matters relating to the green party. It is not all unusual or incorrect for the term coup to be used in the circumstances to which The Argus are referring. Hope that clears things up.

HTH
[quote][p][bold]Gribbet[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]JHunty[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gribbet[/bold] wrote: Hey Argus, just thought I'd point out that a coup and an election are two very different things. Hope that clears things up.[/p][/quote]Yeah typical facist labourite Argus. Have you greens made your minds up yet whether The Argus is labourite or the new Daily Mail? Funny how when Argus commentators criticise Jason they are dismissed as moanerati but when Green Party members make the same criticisms it is a shining example of democracy in action.[/p][/quote]What does this have to do with me pointing out that a coup and an election are not the same thing?[/p][/quote]Read my post, its not difficult you are yet again accusing the Argus of being in some way lacking in their reporting of matters relating to the green party. It is not all unusual or incorrect for the term coup to be used in the circumstances to which The Argus are referring. Hope that clears things up. HTH JHunty
  • Score: -8

7:38am Thu 13 Mar 14

JHunty says...

roystony wrote:
What are you on about jhunty
Try reading the posts again, you can use your finger to follow the words if you like. Perhaps if you use your mouth to silently make the sound of the words as you read it may help you.
I a m t y p i n g t h i s s l o w l y s o y o u c a n u n d e r s t a n d. H J A R R S s a y s J a s o n h a s t h e F U L L S U P P O R T o f A L L t h e G r e e n s s o t h i s m u s t j u s t b e a n i n v e n t i o n o f t h e a n t i g r e e n A r g u s. (bored of that now) Gribbet is trying to reinforce the Green party line that the Argus is anti green by pointing out a supposed inaccuracy in their use of the word coup, whereas in fact the Argus are using the word entirely correctly and in context.

HTH
[quote][p][bold]roystony[/bold] wrote: What are you on about jhunty[/p][/quote]Try reading the posts again, you can use your finger to follow the words if you like. Perhaps if you use your mouth to silently make the sound of the words as you read it may help you. I a m t y p i n g t h i s s l o w l y s o y o u c a n u n d e r s t a n d. H J A R R S s a y s J a s o n h a s t h e F U L L S U P P O R T o f A L L t h e G r e e n s s o t h i s m u s t j u s t b e a n i n v e n t i o n o f t h e a n t i g r e e n A r g u s. (bored of that now) Gribbet is trying to reinforce the Green party line that the Argus is anti green by pointing out a supposed inaccuracy in their use of the word coup, whereas in fact the Argus are using the word entirely correctly and in context. HTH JHunty
  • Score: -3

8:04am Thu 13 Mar 14

Eugenius says...

JHunty wrote:
Gribbet wrote:
Hey Argus, just thought I'd point out that a coup and an election are two very different things.

Hope that clears things up.
But HJARRS has repeatedly stated that Jason has the full support of ALL his colleagues so how is this possible?
Dirty protests all round!
No he didn't; that was a spoof account with a dot after the name, very sneaky. Grow up!
[quote][p][bold]JHunty[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gribbet[/bold] wrote: Hey Argus, just thought I'd point out that a coup and an election are two very different things. Hope that clears things up.[/p][/quote]But HJARRS has repeatedly stated that Jason has the full support of ALL his colleagues so how is this possible? Dirty protests all round![/p][/quote]No he didn't; that was a spoof account with a dot after the name, very sneaky. Grow up! Eugenius
  • Score: -12

8:13am Thu 13 Mar 14

roystony says...

JHunty wrote:
roystony wrote:
What are you on about jhunty
Try reading the posts again, you can use your finger to follow the words if you like. Perhaps if you use your mouth to silently make the sound of the words as you read it may help you.
I a m t y p i n g t h i s s l o w l y s o y o u c a n u n d e r s t a n d. H J A R R S s a y s J a s o n h a s t h e F U L L S U P P O R T o f A L L t h e G r e e n s s o t h i s m u s t j u s t b e a n i n v e n t i o n o f t h e a n t i g r e e n A r g u s. (bored of that now) Gribbet is trying to reinforce the Green party line that the Argus is anti green by pointing out a supposed inaccuracy in their use of the word coup, whereas in fact the Argus are using the word entirely correctly and in context.

HTH
You need to do extra spacing between the words.
[quote][p][bold]JHunty[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]roystony[/bold] wrote: What are you on about jhunty[/p][/quote]Try reading the posts again, you can use your finger to follow the words if you like. Perhaps if you use your mouth to silently make the sound of the words as you read it may help you. I a m t y p i n g t h i s s l o w l y s o y o u c a n u n d e r s t a n d. H J A R R S s a y s J a s o n h a s t h e F U L L S U P P O R T o f A L L t h e G r e e n s s o t h i s m u s t j u s t b e a n i n v e n t i o n o f t h e a n t i g r e e n A r g u s. (bored of that now) Gribbet is trying to reinforce the Green party line that the Argus is anti green by pointing out a supposed inaccuracy in their use of the word coup, whereas in fact the Argus are using the word entirely correctly and in context. HTH[/p][/quote]You need to do extra spacing between the words. roystony
  • Score: 12

8:14am Thu 13 Mar 14

JHunty says...

Yes he did, you grow up! Your mum blah blah blah. HJARRS has continually claimed that the vicious infighting that has characterised the greens time in power is nothing but the normal democratic process, whilst dismissing those outside the greens who,have made the same criticisms as those within the greens as moaners. Gribbet is now playing the same game, claiming this is just a normal run of the mill election not a coup, whereas it is clearly an attempt at a political coup. Not every coup is a coup d'état. Go make yourself a cup of gluten free fair trade sustainable organic tea and think about what you have done.
Yes he did, you grow up! Your mum blah blah blah. HJARRS has continually claimed that the vicious infighting that has characterised the greens time in power is nothing but the normal democratic process, whilst dismissing those outside the greens who,have made the same criticisms as those within the greens as moaners. Gribbet is now playing the same game, claiming this is just a normal run of the mill election not a coup, whereas it is clearly an attempt at a political coup. Not every coup is a coup d'état. Go make yourself a cup of gluten free fair trade sustainable organic tea and think about what you have done. JHunty
  • Score: 6

8:14am Thu 13 Mar 14

JHunty says...

roystony wrote:
JHunty wrote:
roystony wrote:
What are you on about jhunty
Try reading the posts again, you can use your finger to follow the words if you like. Perhaps if you use your mouth to silently make the sound of the words as you read it may help you.
I a m t y p i n g t h i s s l o w l y s o y o u c a n u n d e r s t a n d. H J A R R S s a y s J a s o n h a s t h e F U L L S U P P O R T o f A L L t h e G r e e n s s o t h i s m u s t j u s t b e a n i n v e n t i o n o f t h e a n t i g r e e n A r g u s. (bored of that now) Gribbet is trying to reinforce the Green party line that the Argus is anti green by pointing out a supposed inaccuracy in their use of the word coup, whereas in fact the Argus are using the word entirely correctly and in context.

HTH
You need to do extra spacing between the words.
Even I got bored of it TBH
[quote][p][bold]roystony[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]JHunty[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]roystony[/bold] wrote: What are you on about jhunty[/p][/quote]Try reading the posts again, you can use your finger to follow the words if you like. Perhaps if you use your mouth to silently make the sound of the words as you read it may help you. I a m t y p i n g t h i s s l o w l y s o y o u c a n u n d e r s t a n d. H J A R R S s a y s J a s o n h a s t h e F U L L S U P P O R T o f A L L t h e G r e e n s s o t h i s m u s t j u s t b e a n i n v e n t i o n o f t h e a n t i g r e e n A r g u s. (bored of that now) Gribbet is trying to reinforce the Green party line that the Argus is anti green by pointing out a supposed inaccuracy in their use of the word coup, whereas in fact the Argus are using the word entirely correctly and in context. HTH[/p][/quote]You need to do extra spacing between the words.[/p][/quote]Even I got bored of it TBH JHunty
  • Score: -3

8:20am Thu 13 Mar 14

HJarrs says...

JHunty wrote:
Gribbet wrote:
Hey Argus, just thought I'd point out that a coup and an election are two very different things.

Hope that clears things up.
But HJARRS has repeatedly stated that Jason has the full support of ALL his colleagues so how is this possible?
Dirty protests all round!
You mean you really, really wish I had said that. I am afraid you will find no such post. However, I think JK has done a good job in very difficult circumstances.

Gribbet is right. An election is not a coup, it is an election! The headline just shows how far removed from democracy some people now are.
[quote][p][bold]JHunty[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gribbet[/bold] wrote: Hey Argus, just thought I'd point out that a coup and an election are two very different things. Hope that clears things up.[/p][/quote]But HJARRS has repeatedly stated that Jason has the full support of ALL his colleagues so how is this possible? Dirty protests all round![/p][/quote]You mean you really, really wish I had said that. I am afraid you will find no such post. However, I think JK has done a good job in very difficult circumstances. Gribbet is right. An election is not a coup, it is an election! The headline just shows how far removed from democracy some people now are. HJarrs
  • Score: -12

8:28am Thu 13 Mar 14

JHunty says...

Please read my post above, not every coup is a coup d'état. The Argus has used the word entirely in context and correctly. It may make you feel better to,pretend all the greens woes are down to the bias of the local news paper but no one else is buying your sob story.
Are you now saying you don't support Jason? I think we all wish you would make your mind up.
Please read my post above, not every coup is a coup d'état. The Argus has used the word entirely in context and correctly. It may make you feel better to,pretend all the greens woes are down to the bias of the local news paper but no one else is buying your sob story. Are you now saying you don't support Jason? I think we all wish you would make your mind up. JHunty
  • Score: 6

8:28am Thu 13 Mar 14

Cyril Bolleaux says...

What I think we need to know is did Kitcat put forward the 5% council tax rise merely to shore up his personal support within the Green Party? If so, he must go.
What I think we need to know is did Kitcat put forward the 5% council tax rise merely to shore up his personal support within the Green Party? If so, he must go. Cyril Bolleaux
  • Score: 10

8:29am Thu 13 Mar 14

gozogull says...

Kitcat should stand down, simple. His party don't want him the residents of Brighton and Hove certainly don't want him, and the longer he stays in post the bigger laughing stock he is making us.
It is usual for the leader of the council to become mayor after fulfilling this office, but I for one would not like to see this happen, and I believe there are tens of thousands of residents who would agree with these sentiments.
Kitcat should stand down, simple. His party don't want him the residents of Brighton and Hove certainly don't want him, and the longer he stays in post the bigger laughing stock he is making us. It is usual for the leader of the council to become mayor after fulfilling this office, but I for one would not like to see this happen, and I believe there are tens of thousands of residents who would agree with these sentiments. gozogull
  • Score: 18

8:45am Thu 13 Mar 14

SoupOfficial says...

At least this other chap knows what a tie is ...
At least this other chap knows what a tie is ... SoupOfficial
  • Score: 8

8:56am Thu 13 Mar 14

From beer to uncertainty says...

I feel that the Green Party and Tories etc need to clear up this 'human poo placed in council canteen microwave' story and all similar occurrences of anyone pooing on office floors and such like. It seems to be mentioned regularly and isn't it time someone got to the bottom of it/him/her? Perhaps HJarrs or Eugenius could act as stool pigeons? Does the party stridently support all forms of squatting...includin
g any positions adopted prior to certain movements in the workplace?
Is a log kept of such matters? Have HJarrs/Eugenius got the job in hand?
This matter should not be swept under the carpet.
I feel that the Green Party and Tories etc need to clear up this 'human poo placed in council canteen microwave' story and all similar occurrences of anyone pooing on office floors and such like. It seems to be mentioned regularly and isn't it time someone got to the bottom of it/him/her? Perhaps HJarrs or Eugenius could act as stool pigeons? Does the party stridently support all forms of squatting...includin g any positions adopted prior to certain movements in the workplace? Is a log kept of such matters? Have HJarrs/Eugenius got the job in hand? This matter should not be swept under the carpet. From beer to uncertainty
  • Score: 11

9:30am Thu 13 Mar 14

roystony says...

SoupOfficial wrote:
At least this other chap knows what a tie is ...
Kitcat just looks like unprofessional does what he wants kind of guy. Also seems like he likes to get high from his other photo on a different story
[quote][p][bold]SoupOfficial[/bold] wrote: At least this other chap knows what a tie is ...[/p][/quote]Kitcat just looks like unprofessional does what he wants kind of guy. Also seems like he likes to get high from his other photo on a different story roystony
  • Score: 7

9:33am Thu 13 Mar 14

thevoiceoftruth says...

From beer to uncertainty wrote:
I feel that the Green Party and Tories etc need to clear up this 'human poo placed in council canteen microwave' story and all similar occurrences of anyone pooing on office floors and such like. It seems to be mentioned regularly and isn't it time someone got to the bottom of it/him/her? Perhaps HJarrs or Eugenius could act as stool pigeons? Does the party stridently support all forms of squatting...includin

g any positions adopted prior to certain movements in the workplace?
Is a log kept of such matters? Have HJarrs/Eugenius got the job in hand?
This matter should not be swept under the carpet.
I know it stinks! HJarrs has been brown nosing but hasn't found t'issue. Eugenius has asked the peeping tortoise. They have been bogged down with it for months. The Green Party are papering over the cracks. Phelim wants to push Jason off the throne!
[quote][p][bold]From beer to uncertainty[/bold] wrote: I feel that the Green Party and Tories etc need to clear up this 'human poo placed in council canteen microwave' story and all similar occurrences of anyone pooing on office floors and such like. It seems to be mentioned regularly and isn't it time someone got to the bottom of it/him/her? Perhaps HJarrs or Eugenius could act as stool pigeons? Does the party stridently support all forms of squatting...includin g any positions adopted prior to certain movements in the workplace? Is a log kept of such matters? Have HJarrs/Eugenius got the job in hand? This matter should not be swept under the carpet.[/p][/quote]I know it stinks! HJarrs has been brown nosing but hasn't found t'issue. Eugenius has asked the peeping tortoise. They have been bogged down with it for months. The Green Party are papering over the cracks. Phelim wants to push Jason off the throne! thevoiceoftruth
  • Score: 8

9:37am Thu 13 Mar 14

Martha Gunn says...

Has 'Dirty Boy' MacCafferty ever explicitly denied any direct involvement in support of the Motion otherwise known as Microwavegate?
Has 'Dirty Boy' MacCafferty ever explicitly denied any direct involvement in support of the Motion otherwise known as Microwavegate? Martha Gunn
  • Score: 10

9:39am Thu 13 Mar 14

thevoiceoftruth says...

SoupOfficial wrote:
At least this other chap knows what a tie is ...
Seriously? What does a tie matter? In this case, the other chap is more left wing than Kitcat. So don't base your vote on a tie!
[quote][p][bold]SoupOfficial[/bold] wrote: At least this other chap knows what a tie is ...[/p][/quote]Seriously? What does a tie matter? In this case, the other chap is more left wing than Kitcat. So don't base your vote on a tie! thevoiceoftruth
  • Score: -3

9:59am Thu 13 Mar 14

Gribbet says...

JHunty wrote:
Gribbet wrote:
JHunty wrote:
Gribbet wrote:
Hey Argus, just thought I'd point out that a coup and an election are two very different things.

Hope that clears things up.
Yeah typical facist labourite Argus. Have you greens made your minds up yet whether The Argus is labourite or the new Daily Mail? Funny how when Argus commentators criticise Jason they are dismissed as moanerati but when Green Party members make the same criticisms it is a shining example of democracy in action.
What does this have to do with me pointing out that a coup and an election are not the same thing?
Read my post, its not difficult you are yet again accusing the Argus of being in some way lacking in their reporting of matters relating to the green party. It is not all unusual or incorrect for the term coup to be used in the circumstances to which The Argus are referring. Hope that clears things up.

HTH
You've cleared nothing up. Very sorry mate, but you can't describe a scheduled annual election as a coup attempt.

I am, however, DEFINITELY suggesting the Argus journalists are severely lacking in their reporting and literary skills, but in the general sense. Some basic English vocab understanding should be a basic skill for a journalist don't you think?
[quote][p][bold]JHunty[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gribbet[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]JHunty[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gribbet[/bold] wrote: Hey Argus, just thought I'd point out that a coup and an election are two very different things. Hope that clears things up.[/p][/quote]Yeah typical facist labourite Argus. Have you greens made your minds up yet whether The Argus is labourite or the new Daily Mail? Funny how when Argus commentators criticise Jason they are dismissed as moanerati but when Green Party members make the same criticisms it is a shining example of democracy in action.[/p][/quote]What does this have to do with me pointing out that a coup and an election are not the same thing?[/p][/quote]Read my post, its not difficult you are yet again accusing the Argus of being in some way lacking in their reporting of matters relating to the green party. It is not all unusual or incorrect for the term coup to be used in the circumstances to which The Argus are referring. Hope that clears things up. HTH[/p][/quote]You've cleared nothing up. Very sorry mate, but you can't describe a scheduled annual election as a coup attempt. I am, however, DEFINITELY suggesting the Argus journalists are severely lacking in their reporting and literary skills, but in the general sense. Some basic English vocab understanding should be a basic skill for a journalist don't you think? Gribbet
  • Score: -1

10:08am Thu 13 Mar 14

Gribbet says...

JHunty wrote:
Please read my post above, not every coup is a coup d'état. The Argus has used the word entirely in context and correctly. It may make you feel better to,pretend all the greens woes are down to the bias of the local news paper but no one else is buying your sob story.
Are you now saying you don't support Jason? I think we all wish you would make your mind up.
How about writing relevant posts that make sense in the first place. This way you won't have to keep explaining yourself and telling people to read your posts over again to extract some meaning.

A planned "annual election" is very different to a "coup". Sorry (again).
[quote][p][bold]JHunty[/bold] wrote: Please read my post above, not every coup is a coup d'état. The Argus has used the word entirely in context and correctly. It may make you feel better to,pretend all the greens woes are down to the bias of the local news paper but no one else is buying your sob story. Are you now saying you don't support Jason? I think we all wish you would make your mind up.[/p][/quote]How about writing relevant posts that make sense in the first place. This way you won't have to keep explaining yourself and telling people to read your posts over again to extract some meaning. A planned "annual election" is very different to a "coup". Sorry (again). Gribbet
  • Score: -3

10:31am Thu 13 Mar 14

Idontbelieveit1948 says...

thevoiceoftruth wrote:
From beer to uncertainty wrote:
I feel that the Green Party and Tories etc need to clear up this 'human poo placed in council canteen microwave' story and all similar occurrences of anyone pooing on office floors and such like. It seems to be mentioned regularly and isn't it time someone got to the bottom of it/him/her? Perhaps HJarrs or Eugenius could act as stool pigeons? Does the party stridently support all forms of squatting...includin


g any positions adopted prior to certain movements in the workplace?
Is a log kept of such matters? Have HJarrs/Eugenius got the job in hand?
This matter should not be swept under the carpet.
I know it stinks! HJarrs has been brown nosing but hasn't found t'issue. Eugenius has asked the peeping tortoise. They have been bogged down with it for months. The Green Party are papering over the cracks. Phelim wants to push Jason off the throne!
I'm still not clear on the motion under discussion here !

Meantime here is a nursery rhyme for our times :-

The Greens are starting to crack,
As they continue to attract lots of flack,
But just as before
Council tax payers are ignored,
While they fight like rats in a sack
[quote][p][bold]thevoiceoftruth[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]From beer to uncertainty[/bold] wrote: I feel that the Green Party and Tories etc need to clear up this 'human poo placed in council canteen microwave' story and all similar occurrences of anyone pooing on office floors and such like. It seems to be mentioned regularly and isn't it time someone got to the bottom of it/him/her? Perhaps HJarrs or Eugenius could act as stool pigeons? Does the party stridently support all forms of squatting...includin g any positions adopted prior to certain movements in the workplace? Is a log kept of such matters? Have HJarrs/Eugenius got the job in hand? This matter should not be swept under the carpet.[/p][/quote]I know it stinks! HJarrs has been brown nosing but hasn't found t'issue. Eugenius has asked the peeping tortoise. They have been bogged down with it for months. The Green Party are papering over the cracks. Phelim wants to push Jason off the throne![/p][/quote]I'm still not clear on the motion under discussion here ! Meantime here is a nursery rhyme for our times :- The Greens are starting to crack, As they continue to attract lots of flack, But just as before Council tax payers are ignored, While they fight like rats in a sack Idontbelieveit1948
  • Score: 6

10:50am Thu 13 Mar 14

SoupOfficial says...

thevoiceoftruth wrote:
SoupOfficial wrote:
At least this other chap knows what a tie is ...
Seriously? What does a tie matter? In this case, the other chap is more left wing than Kitcat. So don't base your vote on a tie!
I can't believe anyone has used the word "seriously" when referring to something in the Argus comments section. Unless it's accompanied by the phrase "not taking it ..."
[quote][p][bold]thevoiceoftruth[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]SoupOfficial[/bold] wrote: At least this other chap knows what a tie is ...[/p][/quote]Seriously? What does a tie matter? In this case, the other chap is more left wing than Kitcat. So don't base your vote on a tie![/p][/quote]I can't believe anyone has used the word "seriously" when referring to something in the Argus comments section. Unless it's accompanied by the phrase "not taking it ..." SoupOfficial
  • Score: 5

12:08pm Thu 13 Mar 14

Warren Morgan says...

When we tabled our motion of no confidence in Jason Kitcat and the Green leadership recently we were told they were now united behind him. What a sham. Despite bringing in "counsellors to council the councillors" as The Argus famously put it, they remain bitterly divided and unable to agree on anything. What a shambles.

It's time for the Greens to go and for some people who can run the city properly to take over. During the next seven days we will be revealing who some of those people will be if Labour is elected next May.
When we tabled our motion of no confidence in Jason Kitcat and the Green leadership recently we were told they were now united behind him. What a sham. Despite bringing in "counsellors to council the councillors" as The Argus famously put it, they remain bitterly divided and unable to agree on anything. What a shambles. It's time for the Greens to go and for some people who can run the city properly to take over. During the next seven days we will be revealing who some of those people will be if Labour is elected next May. Warren Morgan
  • Score: 5

12:54pm Thu 13 Mar 14

Fight_Back says...

Oh good - so now the city has the chance of either a jabbering bearded idiot or a Irish jabbering bearded idiot being head of the council !

Maybe they could both clear off as neither are locals and have only come here to try a further their political careers.
Oh good - so now the city has the chance of either a jabbering bearded idiot or a Irish jabbering bearded idiot being head of the council ! Maybe they could both clear off as neither are locals and have only come here to try a further their political careers. Fight_Back
  • Score: 8

1:30pm Thu 13 Mar 14

roystony says...

SoupOfficial wrote:
thevoiceoftruth wrote:
SoupOfficial wrote:
At least this other chap knows what a tie is ...
Seriously? What does a tie matter? In this case, the other chap is more left wing than Kitcat. So don't base your vote on a tie!
I can't believe anyone has used the word "seriously" when referring to something in the Argus comments section. Unless it's accompanied by the phrase "not taking it ..."
Surely kitcat and the word seriously should not be associated. The boys a joke!!
[quote][p][bold]SoupOfficial[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]thevoiceoftruth[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]SoupOfficial[/bold] wrote: At least this other chap knows what a tie is ...[/p][/quote]Seriously? What does a tie matter? In this case, the other chap is more left wing than Kitcat. So don't base your vote on a tie![/p][/quote]I can't believe anyone has used the word "seriously" when referring to something in the Argus comments section. Unless it's accompanied by the phrase "not taking it ..."[/p][/quote]Surely kitcat and the word seriously should not be associated. The boys a joke!! roystony
  • Score: 7

2:00pm Thu 13 Mar 14

thevoiceoftruth says...

SoupOfficial wrote:
thevoiceoftruth wrote:
SoupOfficial wrote:
At least this other chap knows what a tie is ...
Seriously? What does a tie matter? In this case, the other chap is more left wing than Kitcat. So don't base your vote on a tie!
I can't believe anyone has used the word "seriously" when referring to something in the Argus comments section. Unless it's accompanied by the phrase "not taking it ..."
Ha ha - good point! I'm not a big fan of ties. Also when politicians and newsreaders wear them, they are either badly matched with the shirt eg. checks and stripes - or have to be the colour of the political party. When I see David Cameron in a tie, I just want to strangle him with it.
[quote][p][bold]SoupOfficial[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]thevoiceoftruth[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]SoupOfficial[/bold] wrote: At least this other chap knows what a tie is ...[/p][/quote]Seriously? What does a tie matter? In this case, the other chap is more left wing than Kitcat. So don't base your vote on a tie![/p][/quote]I can't believe anyone has used the word "seriously" when referring to something in the Argus comments section. Unless it's accompanied by the phrase "not taking it ..."[/p][/quote]Ha ha - good point! I'm not a big fan of ties. Also when politicians and newsreaders wear them, they are either badly matched with the shirt eg. checks and stripes - or have to be the colour of the political party. When I see David Cameron in a tie, I just want to strangle him with it. thevoiceoftruth
  • Score: -1

5:07pm Thu 13 Mar 14

BornInBrighton1968 says...

Martha Gunn wrote:
Has 'Dirty Boy' MacCafferty ever explicitly denied any direct involvement in support of the Motion otherwise known as Microwavegate?
Green Councillor Alex Phillips hinted via her Twitter account that McCafferty is responsible for defecating in a Council microwave.

It's a dirty business to be sure...
[quote][p][bold]Martha Gunn[/bold] wrote: Has 'Dirty Boy' MacCafferty ever explicitly denied any direct involvement in support of the Motion otherwise known as Microwavegate?[/p][/quote]Green Councillor Alex Phillips hinted via her Twitter account that McCafferty is responsible for defecating in a Council microwave. It's a dirty business to be sure... BornInBrighton1968
  • Score: 5

5:59pm Thu 13 Mar 14

HJarrs says...

Warren Morgan wrote:
When we tabled our motion of no confidence in Jason Kitcat and the Green leadership recently we were told they were now united behind him. What a sham. Despite bringing in "counsellors to council the councillors" as The Argus famously put it, they remain bitterly divided and unable to agree on anything. What a shambles.

It's time for the Greens to go and for some people who can run the city properly to take over. During the next seven days we will be revealing who some of those people will be if Labour is elected next May.
Well, it just goes to show Warren anti-democratic you are in Labour. Why are are you so afraid of giving your members a regular vote on your leadership?
[quote][p][bold]Warren Morgan[/bold] wrote: When we tabled our motion of no confidence in Jason Kitcat and the Green leadership recently we were told they were now united behind him. What a sham. Despite bringing in "counsellors to council the councillors" as The Argus famously put it, they remain bitterly divided and unable to agree on anything. What a shambles. It's time for the Greens to go and for some people who can run the city properly to take over. During the next seven days we will be revealing who some of those people will be if Labour is elected next May.[/p][/quote]Well, it just goes to show Warren anti-democratic you are in Labour. Why are are you so afraid of giving your members a regular vote on your leadership? HJarrs
  • Score: -3

8:04pm Thu 13 Mar 14

Green_Girl_1990 says...

Vote for the best! ALWAYS the best!

Vote Jason Kitcat! Vote Caroline Lucas and Brighton Green Council!
Vote for the best! ALWAYS the best! Vote Jason Kitcat! Vote Caroline Lucas and Brighton Green Council! Green_Girl_1990
  • Score: -2

8:58pm Thu 13 Mar 14

Green_Girl_1990 says...

There is NO evidence WHATSOEVER that Phelim MacCafferty deposited a dirt in a council microwave.

And so what if he did? It was only a bit of fun.
There is NO evidence WHATSOEVER that Phelim MacCafferty deposited a dirt in a council microwave. And so what if he did? It was only a bit of fun. Green_Girl_1990
  • Score: -2

9:30pm Thu 13 Mar 14

Bill in Hanover says...

Whether or not there is a coup, a coup d'etat or a plain and simple leadership election is quite immaterial as I doubt there will be enough Green Party Councillors voted in next year to make any impact on voting issues.
Whether or not there is a coup, a coup d'etat or a plain and simple leadership election is quite immaterial as I doubt there will be enough Green Party Councillors voted in next year to make any impact on voting issues. Bill in Hanover
  • Score: 4

10:19pm Thu 13 Mar 14

NickBrt says...

I blame the Greens.
I blame the Greens. NickBrt
  • Score: 5

11:14pm Thu 13 Mar 14

cynic_the says...

Phelim McCafferty? The one the wanted Brighton to become gender neutral?

My god, it's like being asked if you'd rather be hung or shot.
Phelim McCafferty? The one the wanted Brighton to become gender neutral? My god, it's like being asked if you'd rather be hung or shot. cynic_the
  • Score: 4

11:21pm Thu 13 Mar 14

Richada says...

Green_Girl_1990 wrote:
Vote for the best! ALWAYS the best!

Vote Jason Kitcat! Vote Caroline Lucas and Brighton Green Council!
You're not a MacCaffertyite then i take it?
[quote][p][bold]Green_Girl_1990[/bold] wrote: Vote for the best! ALWAYS the best! Vote Jason Kitcat! Vote Caroline Lucas and Brighton Green Council![/p][/quote]You're not a MacCaffertyite then i take it? Richada
  • Score: 3

11:40am Fri 14 Mar 14

RickH says...

And meanwhile, back in Westminster, Cameron enjoys the full support of his party and so does Nick Clegg......erm.....
And meanwhile, back in Westminster, Cameron enjoys the full support of his party and so does Nick Clegg......erm..... RickH
  • Score: 2

11:56am Fri 14 Mar 14

OhComeOnPlease says...

So when the current Labour leader Warren Morgan stood last year against his predecessor Jill Mitchell and won, that was a coup? And given that many Labour members did not vote for his leadership that means he does not have the full support of his party? (And yet n these comments he criticises Greens for the same thing.)

And when the current Tory leader Geoffrey Theobold stood against his predecessor Mary Mears, that was a coup? And when his party refused to endorse his stance on the council budget last month in a furious internal row on budget day, he was also shown not to have the full support of his party?

I'm curious to know why the Greens get more coverage and more flowery, overblown language than the other parties for exactly the same internal events.
So when the current Labour leader Warren Morgan stood last year against his predecessor Jill Mitchell and won, that was a coup? And given that many Labour members did not vote for his leadership that means he does not have the full support of his party? (And yet n these comments he criticises Greens for the same thing.) And when the current Tory leader Geoffrey Theobold stood against his predecessor Mary Mears, that was a coup? And when his party refused to endorse his stance on the council budget last month in a furious internal row on budget day, he was also shown not to have the full support of his party? I'm curious to know why the Greens get more coverage and more flowery, overblown language than the other parties for exactly the same internal events. OhComeOnPlease
  • Score: -1

5:16am Sun 16 Mar 14

dickpagebrighton says...

OhComeOnPlease wrote:
So when the current Labour leader Warren Morgan stood last year against his predecessor Jill Mitchell and won, that was a coup? And given that many Labour members did not vote for his leadership that means he does not have the full support of his party? (And yet n these comments he criticises Greens for the same thing.)

And when the current Tory leader Geoffrey Theobold stood against his predecessor Mary Mears, that was a coup? And when his party refused to endorse his stance on the council budget last month in a furious internal row on budget day, he was also shown not to have the full support of his party?

I'm curious to know why the Greens get more coverage and more flowery, overblown language than the other parties for exactly the same internal events.
As the late great Tony Benn would have said, can we concentrate on the policies, not the personalities ?

Anyone who is grown up enough to want politics to be about real choices for all the people, not just the better-off or those who shout the loudest, will not be surpised that political parties have internal discussions and different shades of opinion.
[quote][p][bold]OhComeOnPlease[/bold] wrote: So when the current Labour leader Warren Morgan stood last year against his predecessor Jill Mitchell and won, that was a coup? And given that many Labour members did not vote for his leadership that means he does not have the full support of his party? (And yet n these comments he criticises Greens for the same thing.) And when the current Tory leader Geoffrey Theobold stood against his predecessor Mary Mears, that was a coup? And when his party refused to endorse his stance on the council budget last month in a furious internal row on budget day, he was also shown not to have the full support of his party? I'm curious to know why the Greens get more coverage and more flowery, overblown language than the other parties for exactly the same internal events.[/p][/quote]As the late great Tony Benn would have said, can we concentrate on the policies, not the personalities ? Anyone who is grown up enough to want politics to be about real choices for all the people, not just the better-off or those who shout the loudest, will not be surpised that political parties have internal discussions and different shades of opinion. dickpagebrighton
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree