The ArgusUpdated: Three children evacuated after early-morning Brighton fire (From The Argus)

Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.

Updated: Three children evacuated after early-morning Brighton fire

The Argus: Updated: Three children evacuated after early-morning Brighton fire Updated: Three children evacuated after early-morning Brighton fire

Three children were seen screaming in a window as a fire raged through the top floor of a house in the early hours of the morning.

Horrified neighbours in Rugby Place, Brighton, rang the fire brigade at 2.17am when they saw the children in the bedroom as smoke billowed from the bathroom window.

The children had made their own way onto the street when firefighters from Roedean Fire Station arrived and were greeted by a group of neighbours who had gathered in the street still wearing their pyjamas.

Ali Cato, 51, whose wife called the fire brigade, said: “It was nice to see the community come together in such a scary situation.

“The emergency services were absolutely amazing too.”

Fire officers believe the fire was started accidentally by an unattended candle in the bathroom and there were no working smoke alarms in the property.

One Rugby Place resident took the three children into their home and said: “I was asleep at the time, and when I woke up I was very confused.

“Surprisingly, they weren’t crying.

“But you could tell they were pretty worried and shaken up.”

The three were taken to hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.

Roedean crew commander, Will Marler, said: “There were no working smoke alarms in the property, so it is just extremely fortunate that everyone was able to make it out safely.

“It is important to have a working smoke alarm on every floor of the house.

“Having a working smoke alarm can buy you valuable time, in the event of a fire, and increase the chances of getting everyone out alive.

“Candles – like any naked flame - can cause fires. It’s very important that they are in appropriate protective holders and not left unattended.”

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

3:46am Fri 21 Mar 14

monkeymoo says...

Why is there No mention of the Adults at the property?

Anyway, Well done AGAIN to the professionalism and dedication of the fire crews.
Always willing to risk their lives to save others.

Shame the Council / Fire Authority / Government do not appreciate the work these people do.
Instead, they look to CLOSE fire stations in the County, whilst CUTTING the number of fire engines in the city to just 4, and the number of firefighters to just 20.

It has already been shown in London (after the recent closure of stations) that people are now DYING because of these reckless, money saving ideas.

Its YOUR Fire & Rescue service, and YOUR life being put at risk.
Contact your local MP and put a STOP to it.
Why is there No mention of the Adults at the property? Anyway, Well done AGAIN to the professionalism and dedication of the fire crews. Always willing to risk their lives to save others. Shame the Council / Fire Authority / Government do not appreciate the work these people do. Instead, they look to CLOSE fire stations in the County, whilst CUTTING the number of fire engines in the city to just 4, and the number of firefighters to just 20. It has already been shown in London (after the recent closure of stations) that people are now DYING because of these reckless, money saving ideas. Its YOUR Fire & Rescue service, and YOUR life being put at risk. Contact your local MP and put a STOP to it. monkeymoo
  • Score: 6

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree