The Argus200 bags of waste are dumped by flytippers (From The Argus)

Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.

200 bags of waste are dumped by flytippers

The Argus: 200 bags of waste are dumped by flytippers 200 bags of waste are dumped by flytippers

Sacks of waste have been dumped by flytippers.

Broken furniture was among the rubbish dumped in Hangleton Way, Hove, earlier this week, close to the Downsman pub while up to 200 bags of garden waste were dumped on a side road near to Waterhall playing fields in Brighton.

Hangleton and Knoll Conservative Councillor Dawn Barnett said: “Flytipping on this scale is absolutely disgraceful.

“Someone must have seen something happening and if they are worried about reporting it themselves they can always contact me anonymously and I will report the incident to the authorities.”

Cityclean team leader Mick Sutton said: “The flytipping here is representative of what happens throughout the city on a daily basis.

“It’s disappointing that at a time of financial cuts to public spending we have to devote significant resources to deal with this problem.

“These problems are almost exclusively caused by a small section of unscrupulous builders who deal with their waste in this way.”

Anyone who witnesses fly tipping at either recycling points or at communal bins is asked to contact 01273 292929 providing as much information as possible, including time of the incident, licence number, description of vehicle number of people involved.

Comments (25)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:55pm Fri 21 Mar 14

Martha Gunn says...

'Anyone who witnesses fly tipping at either recycling points or at communal bins is asked to contact 01273 292929 providing as much information as possible, including time of the incident, licence number, description of vehicle number of people involved.'

....And absolutely nothing will happen!
'Anyone who witnesses fly tipping at either recycling points or at communal bins is asked to contact 01273 292929 providing as much information as possible, including time of the incident, licence number, description of vehicle number of people involved.' ....And absolutely nothing will happen! Martha Gunn
  • Score: 23

3:43pm Fri 21 Mar 14

brightonaire says...

Why would they pay to dump it when you can dump it for nothing.. even strewn right across the middle of our lovely parks as our great travelling friends do on s regular basis
Why would they pay to dump it when you can dump it for nothing.. even strewn right across the middle of our lovely parks as our great travelling friends do on s regular basis brightonaire
  • Score: 33

3:51pm Fri 21 Mar 14

kopite_rob says...

Martha Gunn wrote:
'Anyone who witnesses fly tipping at either recycling points or at communal bins is asked to contact 01273 292929 providing as much information as possible, including time of the incident, licence number, description of vehicle number of people involved.' ....And absolutely nothing will happen!
Well you wouldn't want to report it and appear to be discriminating against our nomadic residents would you!
[quote][p][bold]Martha Gunn[/bold] wrote: 'Anyone who witnesses fly tipping at either recycling points or at communal bins is asked to contact 01273 292929 providing as much information as possible, including time of the incident, licence number, description of vehicle number of people involved.' ....And absolutely nothing will happen![/p][/quote]Well you wouldn't want to report it and appear to be discriminating against our nomadic residents would you! kopite_rob
  • Score: 25

4:39pm Fri 21 Mar 14

Man of steel says...

I may be being naive, but I thought that recycling points or communal bins were there for us to dump our rubbish or recycling objects, apart from anything else, it's not getting picked up from outside our houses.
I may be being naive, but I thought that recycling points or communal bins were there for us to dump our rubbish or recycling objects, apart from anything else, it's not getting picked up from outside our houses. Man of steel
  • Score: 19

5:03pm Fri 21 Mar 14

Indigatio says...

One major group of suspects for this.
Kick them out of Sussex and keep them out!!!!!
One major group of suspects for this. Kick them out of Sussex and keep them out!!!!! Indigatio
  • Score: 20

5:21pm Fri 21 Mar 14

Old Ale Man says...

Indigatio wrote:
One major group of suspects for this. Kick them out of Sussex and keep them out!!!!!
I am at a miss indigatio, I am racking my old grey matter and I cant think for the life of me who you could possibly mean????????????
[quote][p][bold]Indigatio[/bold] wrote: One major group of suspects for this. Kick them out of Sussex and keep them out!!!!![/p][/quote]I am at a miss indigatio, I am racking my old grey matter and I cant think for the life of me who you could possibly mean???????????? Old Ale Man
  • Score: 6

5:23pm Fri 21 Mar 14

brightonaire says...

I'm waiting in trepidation for the Argus to remove comments daring to mention our great travelling friends in connection with this
I'm waiting in trepidation for the Argus to remove comments daring to mention our great travelling friends in connection with this brightonaire
  • Score: 17

6:35pm Fri 21 Mar 14

Vigilia says...

Not a shred of evidence exists to associate this with the travellers who are currently encamped outside Wild Park. Their practise for the past three decades has been to flytip openly close to their unlawful encampments because they know they can do it with virtual impunity. They've done it on 19 Acres, Wild Park, Stanmer Park, Hollingbury Park, Braypool Playing Fields, Green Ridge, Waterhall Playing fields and sundry other sites.
This is unquestionably the work of local tradesmen and residents.
Not a shred of evidence exists to associate this with the travellers who are currently encamped outside Wild Park. Their practise for the past three decades has been to flytip openly close to their unlawful encampments because they know they can do it with virtual impunity. They've done it on 19 Acres, Wild Park, Stanmer Park, Hollingbury Park, Braypool Playing Fields, Green Ridge, Waterhall Playing fields and sundry other sites. This is unquestionably the work of local tradesmen and residents. Vigilia
  • Score: 14

8:54pm Fri 21 Mar 14

ARMANA says...

Martha Gunn wrote:
'Anyone who witnesses fly tipping at either recycling points or at communal bins is asked to contact 01273 292929 providing as much information as possible, including time of the incident, licence number, description of vehicle number of people involved.'

....And absolutely nothing will happen!
It would'nt happen ,if people were allowed to get rid of ANY rubbish for free,
[quote][p][bold]Martha Gunn[/bold] wrote: 'Anyone who witnesses fly tipping at either recycling points or at communal bins is asked to contact 01273 292929 providing as much information as possible, including time of the incident, licence number, description of vehicle number of people involved.' ....And absolutely nothing will happen![/p][/quote]It would'nt happen ,if people were allowed to get rid of ANY rubbish for free, ARMANA
  • Score: 1

9:04pm Fri 21 Mar 14

Indigatio says...

Vigilia wrote:
Not a shred of evidence exists to associate this with the travellers who are currently encamped outside Wild Park. Their practise for the past three decades has been to flytip openly close to their unlawful encampments because they know they can do it with virtual impunity. They've done it on 19 Acres, Wild Park, Stanmer Park, Hollingbury Park, Braypool Playing Fields, Green Ridge, Waterhall Playing fields and sundry other sites.
This is unquestionably the work of local tradesmen and residents.
Using your argument not a shred of evidence exists for your assumption either. Admittedly, I also make assumptions but doesn't the article mention Waterhall, one of the favourite hang outs for the Green's traveller friends?
Anyway, I doubt if anyone in authority will bother to investigate it properly, for this type of offence they rarely do.
[quote][p][bold]Vigilia[/bold] wrote: Not a shred of evidence exists to associate this with the travellers who are currently encamped outside Wild Park. Their practise for the past three decades has been to flytip openly close to their unlawful encampments because they know they can do it with virtual impunity. They've done it on 19 Acres, Wild Park, Stanmer Park, Hollingbury Park, Braypool Playing Fields, Green Ridge, Waterhall Playing fields and sundry other sites. This is unquestionably the work of local tradesmen and residents.[/p][/quote]Using your argument not a shred of evidence exists for your assumption either. Admittedly, I also make assumptions but doesn't the article mention Waterhall, one of the favourite hang outs for the Green's traveller friends? Anyway, I doubt if anyone in authority will bother to investigate it properly, for this type of offence they rarely do. Indigatio
  • Score: 6

9:09pm Fri 21 Mar 14

somerandombloke says...

Some tradesmen have been find for taking trade waste to the local public tip, in Eastbourne. What will they do now, fly tip of course.
Some tradesmen have been find for taking trade waste to the local public tip, in Eastbourne. What will they do now, fly tip of course. somerandombloke
  • Score: 4

9:37pm Fri 21 Mar 14

rolivan says...

somerandombloke wrote:
Some tradesmen have been find for taking trade waste to the local public tip, in Eastbourne. What will they do now, fly tip of course.
All trades people that need to dispose of rubbish should have an Environmental Trade Waste License.So if the Environment Agency was to spend some time contacting them the cost would be reclaimed from those that do not have one.As for the Travelling Community The appropriate Agencies could sort them out in one go.
[quote][p][bold]somerandombloke[/bold] wrote: Some tradesmen have been find for taking trade waste to the local public tip, in Eastbourne. What will they do now, fly tip of course.[/p][/quote]All trades people that need to dispose of rubbish should have an Environmental Trade Waste License.So if the Environment Agency was to spend some time contacting them the cost would be reclaimed from those that do not have one.As for the Travelling Community The appropriate Agencies could sort them out in one go. rolivan
  • Score: 2

9:45pm Fri 21 Mar 14

NickBtn says...

Broken furniture and garden waste. Yet the council spokesman says that it is "builders". Doesn't sound like building waste to me.... no wonder why the council can't catch anyone!

Meantime if the council wants less flytipping perhaps it should look at the prices it charges to remove bed mattresses (£18), sofa (£17) or a washing machine (£26). No wonder why people, especially those without cars, dump these items. For those with cars, the tips are open mainly when people are working (no evening opening and limited weekend) again encouraging flytipping. So the council should look close to home - those wanting to do the right thing are not helped....
Broken furniture and garden waste. Yet the council spokesman says that it is "builders". Doesn't sound like building waste to me.... no wonder why the council can't catch anyone! Meantime if the council wants less flytipping perhaps it should look at the prices it charges to remove bed mattresses (£18), sofa (£17) or a washing machine (£26). No wonder why people, especially those without cars, dump these items. For those with cars, the tips are open mainly when people are working (no evening opening and limited weekend) again encouraging flytipping. So the council should look close to home - those wanting to do the right thing are not helped.... NickBtn
  • Score: 2

10:07pm Fri 21 Mar 14

Vigilia says...

Indigatio wrote:
Vigilia wrote:
Not a shred of evidence exists to associate this with the travellers who are currently encamped outside Wild Park. Their practise for the past three decades has been to flytip openly close to their unlawful encampments because they know they can do it with virtual impunity. They've done it on 19 Acres, Wild Park, Stanmer Park, Hollingbury Park, Braypool Playing Fields, Green Ridge, Waterhall Playing fields and sundry other sites.
This is unquestionably the work of local tradesmen and residents.
Using your argument not a shred of evidence exists for your assumption either. Admittedly, I also make assumptions but doesn't the article mention Waterhall, one of the favourite hang outs for the Green's traveller friends?
Anyway, I doubt if anyone in authority will bother to investigate it properly, for this type of offence they rarely do.
Yes it does mention Waterhall but the travellers are not at Waterhall and haven't been since 6 February 2014. They are currently at Wild Park.
As I said, they feel they can criminally flytip with impunity on or around their current sites.
[quote][p][bold]Indigatio[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Vigilia[/bold] wrote: Not a shred of evidence exists to associate this with the travellers who are currently encamped outside Wild Park. Their practise for the past three decades has been to flytip openly close to their unlawful encampments because they know they can do it with virtual impunity. They've done it on 19 Acres, Wild Park, Stanmer Park, Hollingbury Park, Braypool Playing Fields, Green Ridge, Waterhall Playing fields and sundry other sites. This is unquestionably the work of local tradesmen and residents.[/p][/quote]Using your argument not a shred of evidence exists for your assumption either. Admittedly, I also make assumptions but doesn't the article mention Waterhall, one of the favourite hang outs for the Green's traveller friends? Anyway, I doubt if anyone in authority will bother to investigate it properly, for this type of offence they rarely do.[/p][/quote]Yes it does mention Waterhall but the travellers are not at Waterhall and haven't been since 6 February 2014. They are currently at Wild Park. As I said, they feel they can criminally flytip with impunity on or around their current sites. Vigilia
  • Score: 4

10:36pm Fri 21 Mar 14

Terry K says...

I wanna be a traveller, they have the right idea, full exemption from everything, immune from prosecution, full council support, free living, yes, it's a travellers life for me. How do i apply?.
I wanna be a traveller, they have the right idea, full exemption from everything, immune from prosecution, full council support, free living, yes, it's a travellers life for me. How do i apply?. Terry K
  • Score: 9

10:36pm Fri 21 Mar 14

Fairfax Aches says...

Its undoubtedly illegal immigrant tradesmen who don't know or care about our laws. Get them shipped back to where they belong along with the next load of cr@p we send to one of those third world countrries
Its undoubtedly illegal immigrant tradesmen who don't know or care about our laws. Get them shipped back to where they belong along with the next load of cr@p we send to one of those third world countrries Fairfax Aches
  • Score: -2

11:10pm Fri 21 Mar 14

Bill in Hanover says...

brightonaire wrote:
I'm waiting in trepidation for the Argus to remove comments daring to mention our great travelling friends in connection with this
I'm just surprised that they have even allowed comments on this article, they don't usually if it may involve our uninvited non-paying visitors.
[quote][p][bold]brightonaire[/bold] wrote: I'm waiting in trepidation for the Argus to remove comments daring to mention our great travelling friends in connection with this[/p][/quote]I'm just surprised that they have even allowed comments on this article, they don't usually if it may involve our uninvited non-paying visitors. Bill in Hanover
  • Score: 6

10:28am Sat 22 Mar 14

cookie_brighton says...

placing large black refuse bins around our city attracts fly tippers...........mo
st who do not know that they are fly tipping when they place refuse on the pavement or road because the bins are full.......it also attracts building waste with vehicles pulling up and unloading their waste..............t
he lewes road triangle is a fine example of this with students who pay NO council tax dumping household rubbish including wardrobes, beds, mattresses and all household furniture at the side of the refuse bins, on the pavement or the road, I have witnessed this when visiting friends..........thi
s happens everytime there is an influx of different students...it is about time that students pay something towards council tax.........they seem to have enough money to go drinking and clubbing at weekends......people in receipt of welfare benefits HAVE to pay out of the money they receive a percentage to council tax.
placing large black refuse bins around our city attracts fly tippers...........mo st who do not know that they are fly tipping when they place refuse on the pavement or road because the bins are full.......it also attracts building waste with vehicles pulling up and unloading their waste..............t he lewes road triangle is a fine example of this with students who pay NO council tax dumping household rubbish including wardrobes, beds, mattresses and all household furniture at the side of the refuse bins, on the pavement or the road, I have witnessed this when visiting friends..........thi s happens everytime there is an influx of different students...it is about time that students pay something towards council tax.........they seem to have enough money to go drinking and clubbing at weekends......people in receipt of welfare benefits HAVE to pay out of the money they receive a percentage to council tax. cookie_brighton
  • Score: 1

10:34am Sat 22 Mar 14

cookie_brighton says...

Terry K wrote:
I wanna be a traveller, they have the right idea, full exemption from everything, immune from prosecution, full council support, free living, yes, it's a travellers life for me. How do i apply?.
Agree......caravans with aerials.......no t.v. licence as a t.v. licence is issued to a home address...bricks and mortar.
When I pass Gypsie sites I see nice cars parked at the side of caravans....once again when applying to register a car...........you must have a home address.........bric
ks and mortar.
How do they get away with it.
[quote][p][bold]Terry K[/bold] wrote: I wanna be a traveller, they have the right idea, full exemption from everything, immune from prosecution, full council support, free living, yes, it's a travellers life for me. How do i apply?.[/p][/quote]Agree......caravans with aerials.......no t.v. licence as a t.v. licence is issued to a home address...bricks and mortar. When I pass Gypsie sites I see nice cars parked at the side of caravans....once again when applying to register a car...........you must have a home address.........bric ks and mortar. How do they get away with it. cookie_brighton
  • Score: 1

10:45am Sat 22 Mar 14

Indigatio says...

cookie_brighton wrote:
Terry K wrote:
I wanna be a traveller, they have the right idea, full exemption from everything, immune from prosecution, full council support, free living, yes, it's a travellers life for me. How do i apply?.
Agree......caravans with aerials.......no t.v. licence as a t.v. licence is issued to a home address...bricks and mortar.
When I pass Gypsie sites I see nice cars parked at the side of caravans....once again when applying to register a car...........you must have a home address.........bric

ks and mortar.
How do they get away with it.
Because the relevant Authorities do not enforce the law and allow them to get away with it!
[quote][p][bold]cookie_brighton[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Terry K[/bold] wrote: I wanna be a traveller, they have the right idea, full exemption from everything, immune from prosecution, full council support, free living, yes, it's a travellers life for me. How do i apply?.[/p][/quote]Agree......caravans with aerials.......no t.v. licence as a t.v. licence is issued to a home address...bricks and mortar. When I pass Gypsie sites I see nice cars parked at the side of caravans....once again when applying to register a car...........you must have a home address.........bric ks and mortar. How do they get away with it.[/p][/quote]Because the relevant Authorities do not enforce the law and allow them to get away with it! Indigatio
  • Score: 3

12:59pm Sat 22 Mar 14

wexler53 says...

As a local business, I can't compete with the "oh so charming cash-in-hand" boys because I am properly licensed, fully insured and work ethically. I have costs to cover and pay staff fairly.

If customers stopped using these "non-local" businesses, fly tipping and illegal camping would melt away.

It's the cash that brings them in, and the local actual tax payers pick up the tab.
As a local business, I can't compete with the "oh so charming cash-in-hand" boys because I am properly licensed, fully insured and work ethically. I have costs to cover and pay staff fairly. If customers stopped using these "non-local" businesses, fly tipping and illegal camping would melt away. It's the cash that brings them in, and the local actual tax payers pick up the tab. wexler53
  • Score: 3

7:03pm Sat 22 Mar 14

Sussex jim says...

somerandombloke wrote:
Some tradesmen have been find for taking trade waste to the local public tip, in Eastbourne. What will they do now, fly tip of course.
The minimum charge for half a ton of waste at the commercial tips only encourages tradesmen to dump smaller loads elsewhere.
[quote][p][bold]somerandombloke[/bold] wrote: Some tradesmen have been find for taking trade waste to the local public tip, in Eastbourne. What will they do now, fly tip of course.[/p][/quote]The minimum charge for half a ton of waste at the commercial tips only encourages tradesmen to dump smaller loads elsewhere. Sussex jim
  • Score: 0

7:56pm Sat 22 Mar 14

Ambo Guy says...

I can't believe anyone here thinks it could be due to out Traveller friends.

They've always been so clean and have never done anything like this before so surely it's just a pure coincidence that they always seem to be in town when loads of rubbish gets illegally dumped nearby ; )
I can't believe anyone here thinks it could be due to out Traveller friends. They've always been so clean and have never done anything like this before so surely it's just a pure coincidence that they always seem to be in town when loads of rubbish gets illegally dumped nearby ; ) Ambo Guy
  • Score: -1

12:18am Mon 24 Mar 14

John Steed says...

and just when we need them the licensed waste contractors start getting jumped on and now require an additional license for every area they operate, charges for disposal of fridges and matresses have risen, one licensed waste carried with 28 years trading has has his license revoked due to illegaly apparently sorting on a piece of land without planning permission having used this land for some 28 years. another has had to top stop using a yard again through alleged lack off planning, these things only make the cost of licensed waste disposal higher to the customer and make fly tipping even more attractive, note the number of fridges being left here there and every where.
and just when we need them the licensed waste contractors start getting jumped on and now require an additional license for every area they operate, charges for disposal of fridges and matresses have risen, one licensed waste carried with 28 years trading has has his license revoked due to illegaly apparently sorting on a piece of land without planning permission having used this land for some 28 years. another has had to top stop using a yard again through alleged lack off planning, these things only make the cost of licensed waste disposal higher to the customer and make fly tipping even more attractive, note the number of fridges being left here there and every where. John Steed
  • Score: 0

4:03pm Mon 24 Mar 14

thevoiceoftruth says...

NickBtn wrote:
Broken furniture and garden waste. Yet the council spokesman says that it is "builders". Doesn't sound like building waste to me.... no wonder why the council can't catch anyone!

Meantime if the council wants less flytipping perhaps it should look at the prices it charges to remove bed mattresses (£18), sofa (£17) or a washing machine (£26). No wonder why people, especially those without cars, dump these items. For those with cars, the tips are open mainly when people are working (no evening opening and limited weekend) again encouraging flytipping. So the council should look close to home - those wanting to do the right thing are not helped....
If you paid someone to take these items away, it would probably cost more. You need two people to carry a washing machine or sofa. Are you saying the council should just collect anything and everything for free?

Most flytipping I see is from the student population. Although, I did live in Whitehawk for a little while and used to watch my neighbour regularly dumping his waste at the back of the building, despite having a car and living a very short distance from the tip.

This may have come from travellers, but people have been caught flytipping near traveller sites so that the travellers get the blame.
[quote][p][bold]NickBtn[/bold] wrote: Broken furniture and garden waste. Yet the council spokesman says that it is "builders". Doesn't sound like building waste to me.... no wonder why the council can't catch anyone! Meantime if the council wants less flytipping perhaps it should look at the prices it charges to remove bed mattresses (£18), sofa (£17) or a washing machine (£26). No wonder why people, especially those without cars, dump these items. For those with cars, the tips are open mainly when people are working (no evening opening and limited weekend) again encouraging flytipping. So the council should look close to home - those wanting to do the right thing are not helped....[/p][/quote]If you paid someone to take these items away, it would probably cost more. You need two people to carry a washing machine or sofa. Are you saying the council should just collect anything and everything for free? Most flytipping I see is from the student population. Although, I did live in Whitehawk for a little while and used to watch my neighbour regularly dumping his waste at the back of the building, despite having a car and living a very short distance from the tip. This may have come from travellers, but people have been caught flytipping near traveller sites so that the travellers get the blame. thevoiceoftruth
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree