Air pollution warning for Sussex as Sahara dust smog due to hit

Defra's forecast

Argus photographer took this photo of the Saharan dust settled on his car this morning

First published in News
Last updated

WITH VIDEO: People should be braced for high levels of air pollution as dust from the Sahara and industrial emissions from the continent descend on Sussex.

The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) has forecast that Sussex will be suffering from air pollution reaching levels of seven and eight on their ten point scale – putting the county in the “high” category.

The alert comes as Brighton Pavilion MP Caroline Lucas and others speak at a conference addressing the problem of air pollution, Sussex Air, at The Amex Stadium today.

She told the conference: "Your meeting could scarcely be more timely, with the headlines today reporting that air pollution in many areas is at dangerous levels. 

"Air pollution is a silent and deadly killer – yet very rarely makes the headlines in the way it should – and in the way it has done today."

She added: "Southern England has been hit today by high levels of air pollution  – a very real and immediate reminder of how important it is to do whatever we can to improve air quality.

Defra fears that the levels of pollutants in the air will be at the highest level possible on the measuring scale - level 10.

"This is the level at which the Government advises people to reduce strenuous exercise and those with medical conditions to avoid activity wherever possible.

"That’s why, in Parliament, I’ve called for a number of measures, many of which underpin the work being done by Sussex Air."

Those with lung or heart conditions are urged to take caution while exercising outside.

Defra guidelines for high levels of pollution state: “Adults and children with lung problems, and adults with heart problems, should reduce strenuous physical exertion, particularly outdoors, and particularly if they experience symptoms.

“People with asthma may find they need to use their reliever inhaler more often. Older people should also reduce physical exertion.

“Anyone experiencing discomfort such as sore eyes, cough or sore throat should consider reducing activity, particularly outdoors.”

A Defra spokeswoman said: "The high level of air pollution this week is due to a combination of local emissions, light winds, pollution from the continent and dust blown over from the Sahara.

"We want to keep improving air quality and have introduced a new five-day forecast service in addition to investing heavily in local and transport initiatives to tackle this issue head-on.".

By Thursday the pollution should begin to clear as the southerly wind begins to drop and rain makes its way – with levels in the county dropping to level two.

Last weekend some people found their cars covered in a light coating of red dust due to storms in the Sahara. 

Elsewhere in the UK, areas of East Anglia and the East Midlands are experiencing level ten air pollution – deemed “very high” by Defra.

Comments (26)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:23am Wed 2 Apr 14

gheese77 says...

Air pollution causes 29000 premature deaths per year in the UK. The EU commission is currently taking legal action against the UK due to the appalling air quality in UK cities. This pollution is primarily from motor vehicles exacerbated by sahara dust, which is a natural phenomenon. This is the reason traffic needs to be reduced, to make the UK a safer and more pleasant place to live.
Air pollution causes 29000 premature deaths per year in the UK. The EU commission is currently taking legal action against the UK due to the appalling air quality in UK cities. This pollution is primarily from motor vehicles exacerbated by sahara dust, which is a natural phenomenon. This is the reason traffic needs to be reduced, to make the UK a safer and more pleasant place to live. gheese77
  • Score: -11

9:12am Wed 2 Apr 14

Cyril Bolleaux says...

gheese77 wrote:
Air pollution causes 29000 premature deaths per year in the UK. The EU commission is currently taking legal action against the UK due to the appalling air quality in UK cities. This pollution is primarily from motor vehicles exacerbated by sahara dust, which is a natural phenomenon. This is the reason traffic needs to be reduced, to make the UK a safer and more pleasant place to live.
You Greens need to wake up to the fact that people get sick of being told that the Greens know best and that the rest of us must do as we are told by the Greens. Your constant preaching of Green propaganda does not persuade but actually has the opposite effect.
[quote][p][bold]gheese77[/bold] wrote: Air pollution causes 29000 premature deaths per year in the UK. The EU commission is currently taking legal action against the UK due to the appalling air quality in UK cities. This pollution is primarily from motor vehicles exacerbated by sahara dust, which is a natural phenomenon. This is the reason traffic needs to be reduced, to make the UK a safer and more pleasant place to live.[/p][/quote]You Greens need to wake up to the fact that people get sick of being told that the Greens know best and that the rest of us must do as we are told by the Greens. Your constant preaching of Green propaganda does not persuade but actually has the opposite effect. Cyril Bolleaux
  • Score: 15

9:16am Wed 2 Apr 14

Joshiman says...

Air polution in Brighton is caused by badly planned traffic systems by so called experts in the field.Brighton has too many out of sequence traffic lights causing permanent gridlock everywhere especially the following to name just a few hotspots:
New England St railway arches
Blatchington Rd/Boundary Road
Regency Square traffic lights
Brighton Pier Pedestrian lights
A259 Marina to Rottingdean/Peacehav
en
London Rd out of and into Town
Lewes Rd
More C02 Emissions than ever.
Yet with a little planning and common sense Brighton would be a healthier place to live.
Air polution in Brighton is caused by badly planned traffic systems by so called experts in the field.Brighton has too many out of sequence traffic lights causing permanent gridlock everywhere especially the following to name just a few hotspots: New England St railway arches Blatchington Rd/Boundary Road Regency Square traffic lights Brighton Pier Pedestrian lights A259 Marina to Rottingdean/Peacehav en London Rd out of and into Town Lewes Rd More C02 Emissions than ever. Yet with a little planning and common sense Brighton would be a healthier place to live. Joshiman
  • Score: 47

9:29am Wed 2 Apr 14

spa301 says...

Cyril Bolleaux wrote:
gheese77 wrote:
Air pollution causes 29000 premature deaths per year in the UK. The EU commission is currently taking legal action against the UK due to the appalling air quality in UK cities. This pollution is primarily from motor vehicles exacerbated by sahara dust, which is a natural phenomenon. This is the reason traffic needs to be reduced, to make the UK a safer and more pleasant place to live.
You Greens need to wake up to the fact that people get sick of being told that the Greens know best and that the rest of us must do as we are told by the Greens. Your constant preaching of Green propaganda does not persuade but actually has the opposite effect.
Totally agree.
[quote][p][bold]Cyril Bolleaux[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]gheese77[/bold] wrote: Air pollution causes 29000 premature deaths per year in the UK. The EU commission is currently taking legal action against the UK due to the appalling air quality in UK cities. This pollution is primarily from motor vehicles exacerbated by sahara dust, which is a natural phenomenon. This is the reason traffic needs to be reduced, to make the UK a safer and more pleasant place to live.[/p][/quote]You Greens need to wake up to the fact that people get sick of being told that the Greens know best and that the rest of us must do as we are told by the Greens. Your constant preaching of Green propaganda does not persuade but actually has the opposite effect.[/p][/quote]Totally agree. spa301
  • Score: 9

9:37am Wed 2 Apr 14

Gribbet says...

Joshiman wrote:
Air polution in Brighton is caused by badly planned traffic systems by so called experts in the field.Brighton has too many out of sequence traffic lights causing permanent gridlock everywhere especially the following to name just a few hotspots:
New England St railway arches
Blatchington Rd/Boundary Road
Regency Square traffic lights
Brighton Pier Pedestrian lights
A259 Marina to Rottingdean/Peacehav

en
London Rd out of and into Town
Lewes Rd
More C02 Emissions than ever.
Yet with a little planning and common sense Brighton would be a healthier place to live.
It's actually caused by the traffic itself rather than the traffic systems. Blame the traffic, not the system.
[quote][p][bold]Joshiman[/bold] wrote: Air polution in Brighton is caused by badly planned traffic systems by so called experts in the field.Brighton has too many out of sequence traffic lights causing permanent gridlock everywhere especially the following to name just a few hotspots: New England St railway arches Blatchington Rd/Boundary Road Regency Square traffic lights Brighton Pier Pedestrian lights A259 Marina to Rottingdean/Peacehav en London Rd out of and into Town Lewes Rd More C02 Emissions than ever. Yet with a little planning and common sense Brighton would be a healthier place to live.[/p][/quote]It's actually caused by the traffic itself rather than the traffic systems. Blame the traffic, not the system. Gribbet
  • Score: -32

9:43am Wed 2 Apr 14

Gribbet says...

Of course it would be foreign emissions from 'the continent' and dust from Africa. Nothing to do with good old British emissions, British emissions are fine and would never pose a health risk to the nation. Vote UKIP to stop these foreign emissions from invading our shores!
Of course it would be foreign emissions from 'the continent' and dust from Africa. Nothing to do with good old British emissions, British emissions are fine and would never pose a health risk to the nation. Vote UKIP to stop these foreign emissions from invading our shores! Gribbet
  • Score: 20

10:26am Wed 2 Apr 14

gheese77 says...

Cyril Bolleaux wrote:
gheese77 wrote:
Air pollution causes 29000 premature deaths per year in the UK. The EU commission is currently taking legal action against the UK due to the appalling air quality in UK cities. This pollution is primarily from motor vehicles exacerbated by sahara dust, which is a natural phenomenon. This is the reason traffic needs to be reduced, to make the UK a safer and more pleasant place to live.
You Greens need to wake up to the fact that people get sick of being told that the Greens know best and that the rest of us must do as we are told by the Greens. Your constant preaching of Green propaganda does not persuade but actually has the opposite effect.
Air quality levels or premaure deaths are not 'green propoganda' but scientific facts. We had smogs in the 1950's that killed many thousands and led to the clean air act, long before the green party even existed.
Maybe you should ask an asthmatic currently suffering from the current high pollution levels if they are just faking it for 'green propoganda' purposes.
[quote][p][bold]Cyril Bolleaux[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]gheese77[/bold] wrote: Air pollution causes 29000 premature deaths per year in the UK. The EU commission is currently taking legal action against the UK due to the appalling air quality in UK cities. This pollution is primarily from motor vehicles exacerbated by sahara dust, which is a natural phenomenon. This is the reason traffic needs to be reduced, to make the UK a safer and more pleasant place to live.[/p][/quote]You Greens need to wake up to the fact that people get sick of being told that the Greens know best and that the rest of us must do as we are told by the Greens. Your constant preaching of Green propaganda does not persuade but actually has the opposite effect.[/p][/quote]Air quality levels or premaure deaths are not 'green propoganda' but scientific facts. We had smogs in the 1950's that killed many thousands and led to the clean air act, long before the green party even existed. Maybe you should ask an asthmatic currently suffering from the current high pollution levels if they are just faking it for 'green propoganda' purposes. gheese77
  • Score: 16

10:51am Wed 2 Apr 14

Cyril Bolleaux says...

gheese77 wrote:
Cyril Bolleaux wrote:
gheese77 wrote: Air pollution causes 29000 premature deaths per year in the UK. The EU commission is currently taking legal action against the UK due to the appalling air quality in UK cities. This pollution is primarily from motor vehicles exacerbated by sahara dust, which is a natural phenomenon. This is the reason traffic needs to be reduced, to make the UK a safer and more pleasant place to live.
You Greens need to wake up to the fact that people get sick of being told that the Greens know best and that the rest of us must do as we are told by the Greens. Your constant preaching of Green propaganda does not persuade but actually has the opposite effect.
Air quality levels or premaure deaths are not 'green propoganda' but scientific facts. We had smogs in the 1950's that killed many thousands and led to the clean air act, long before the green party even existed. Maybe you should ask an asthmatic currently suffering from the current high pollution levels if they are just faking it for 'green propoganda' purposes.
These are not scientific facts but statistics which need to be interpreted. Your conclusion that reducing traffic is the solution is pure propaganda. The Clean Air act did not ban people from heating their homes it changed fuel use. I have used an asthma inhaler all my life.
[quote][p][bold]gheese77[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Cyril Bolleaux[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]gheese77[/bold] wrote: Air pollution causes 29000 premature deaths per year in the UK. The EU commission is currently taking legal action against the UK due to the appalling air quality in UK cities. This pollution is primarily from motor vehicles exacerbated by sahara dust, which is a natural phenomenon. This is the reason traffic needs to be reduced, to make the UK a safer and more pleasant place to live.[/p][/quote]You Greens need to wake up to the fact that people get sick of being told that the Greens know best and that the rest of us must do as we are told by the Greens. Your constant preaching of Green propaganda does not persuade but actually has the opposite effect.[/p][/quote]Air quality levels or premaure deaths are not 'green propoganda' but scientific facts. We had smogs in the 1950's that killed many thousands and led to the clean air act, long before the green party even existed. Maybe you should ask an asthmatic currently suffering from the current high pollution levels if they are just faking it for 'green propoganda' purposes.[/p][/quote]These are not scientific facts but statistics which need to be interpreted. Your conclusion that reducing traffic is the solution is pure propaganda. The Clean Air act did not ban people from heating their homes it changed fuel use. I have used an asthma inhaler all my life. Cyril Bolleaux
  • Score: 3

10:54am Wed 2 Apr 14

clubrob6 says...

gheese77 wrote:
Air pollution causes 29000 premature deaths per year in the UK. The EU commission is currently taking legal action against the UK due to the appalling air quality in UK cities. This pollution is primarily from motor vehicles exacerbated by sahara dust, which is a natural phenomenon. This is the reason traffic needs to be reduced, to make the UK a safer and more pleasant place to live.
Well we wont get industrial pollution as most of our heavy industry has closed down,which is why the pollution is coming from the continent.Its pointless the UK taking any actions as what we put out is minimal compared to most of the world
[quote][p][bold]gheese77[/bold] wrote: Air pollution causes 29000 premature deaths per year in the UK. The EU commission is currently taking legal action against the UK due to the appalling air quality in UK cities. This pollution is primarily from motor vehicles exacerbated by sahara dust, which is a natural phenomenon. This is the reason traffic needs to be reduced, to make the UK a safer and more pleasant place to live.[/p][/quote]Well we wont get industrial pollution as most of our heavy industry has closed down,which is why the pollution is coming from the continent.Its pointless the UK taking any actions as what we put out is minimal compared to most of the world clubrob6
  • Score: 10

10:58am Wed 2 Apr 14

road_rager says...

My large luxury car has very effective air filters and as I only have a short walk from the car park to my air conditioned office the pollution does not affect me
So I dont see what the fuss is about
My large luxury car has very effective air filters and as I only have a short walk from the car park to my air conditioned office the pollution does not affect me So I dont see what the fuss is about road_rager
  • Score: 11

10:58am Wed 2 Apr 14

comanche762 says...

Gribbet wrote:
Of course it would be foreign emissions from 'the continent' and dust from Africa. Nothing to do with good old British emissions, British emissions are fine and would never pose a health risk to the nation. Vote UKIP to stop these foreign emissions from invading our shores!
daft idiot blame the foreigners again bigot
[quote][p][bold]Gribbet[/bold] wrote: Of course it would be foreign emissions from 'the continent' and dust from Africa. Nothing to do with good old British emissions, British emissions are fine and would never pose a health risk to the nation. Vote UKIP to stop these foreign emissions from invading our shores![/p][/quote]daft idiot blame the foreigners again bigot comanche762
  • Score: -21

11:07am Wed 2 Apr 14

spa301 says...

Perhaps these sanctimonious, holier than thou, self appointed eco warriors would be better off taking their repetitive arguments to India or China.
I will continue to drive my zero emission car as I really don't have the room for a horse (which is what I presume they would prefer to be my method of travel)
Were I and all my fellow drivers to abandon our cars where exactly would the massive shortfall in taxes raised be found?
Perhaps these sanctimonious, holier than thou, self appointed eco warriors would be better off taking their repetitive arguments to India or China. I will continue to drive my zero emission car as I really don't have the room for a horse (which is what I presume they would prefer to be my method of travel) Were I and all my fellow drivers to abandon our cars where exactly would the massive shortfall in taxes raised be found? spa301
  • Score: 12

11:08am Wed 2 Apr 14

spa301 says...

comanche762 wrote:
Gribbet wrote:
Of course it would be foreign emissions from 'the continent' and dust from Africa. Nothing to do with good old British emissions, British emissions are fine and would never pose a health risk to the nation. Vote UKIP to stop these foreign emissions from invading our shores!
daft idiot blame the foreigners again bigot
I presume you don't understand the use of irony?
[quote][p][bold]comanche762[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gribbet[/bold] wrote: Of course it would be foreign emissions from 'the continent' and dust from Africa. Nothing to do with good old British emissions, British emissions are fine and would never pose a health risk to the nation. Vote UKIP to stop these foreign emissions from invading our shores![/p][/quote]daft idiot blame the foreigners again bigot[/p][/quote]I presume you don't understand the use of irony? spa301
  • Score: 16

11:17am Wed 2 Apr 14

gheese77 says...

Cyril Bolleaux wrote:
gheese77 wrote:
Cyril Bolleaux wrote:
gheese77 wrote: Air pollution causes 29000 premature deaths per year in the UK. The EU commission is currently taking legal action against the UK due to the appalling air quality in UK cities. This pollution is primarily from motor vehicles exacerbated by sahara dust, which is a natural phenomenon. This is the reason traffic needs to be reduced, to make the UK a safer and more pleasant place to live.
You Greens need to wake up to the fact that people get sick of being told that the Greens know best and that the rest of us must do as we are told by the Greens. Your constant preaching of Green propaganda does not persuade but actually has the opposite effect.
Air quality levels or premaure deaths are not 'green propoganda' but scientific facts. We had smogs in the 1950's that killed many thousands and led to the clean air act, long before the green party even existed. Maybe you should ask an asthmatic currently suffering from the current high pollution levels if they are just faking it for 'green propoganda' purposes.
These are not scientific facts but statistics which need to be interpreted. Your conclusion that reducing traffic is the solution is pure propaganda. The Clean Air act did not ban people from heating their homes it changed fuel use. I have used an asthma inhaler all my life.
I am afraid you are wrong on the air pollution levels being open to interpretation, these are measurements of gases such as Nitrogen dioxide in parts per million in the air. These are absolute measurements and not open to interpretation, it can also be shown that higher pollution levels are found nearer to busy roads.
Of course the clean air act did not stop people heating their homes but it did make it illegal to use certain fuels in certain areas. Reducing the pollution from traffic is a similar principle, I would never argue to ban motor vehicles altogether, rather to encourage other means of transport in the heavily polluted areas (this includes electric cars).
[quote][p][bold]Cyril Bolleaux[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]gheese77[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Cyril Bolleaux[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]gheese77[/bold] wrote: Air pollution causes 29000 premature deaths per year in the UK. The EU commission is currently taking legal action against the UK due to the appalling air quality in UK cities. This pollution is primarily from motor vehicles exacerbated by sahara dust, which is a natural phenomenon. This is the reason traffic needs to be reduced, to make the UK a safer and more pleasant place to live.[/p][/quote]You Greens need to wake up to the fact that people get sick of being told that the Greens know best and that the rest of us must do as we are told by the Greens. Your constant preaching of Green propaganda does not persuade but actually has the opposite effect.[/p][/quote]Air quality levels or premaure deaths are not 'green propoganda' but scientific facts. We had smogs in the 1950's that killed many thousands and led to the clean air act, long before the green party even existed. Maybe you should ask an asthmatic currently suffering from the current high pollution levels if they are just faking it for 'green propoganda' purposes.[/p][/quote]These are not scientific facts but statistics which need to be interpreted. Your conclusion that reducing traffic is the solution is pure propaganda. The Clean Air act did not ban people from heating their homes it changed fuel use. I have used an asthma inhaler all my life.[/p][/quote]I am afraid you are wrong on the air pollution levels being open to interpretation, these are measurements of gases such as Nitrogen dioxide in parts per million in the air. These are absolute measurements and not open to interpretation, it can also be shown that higher pollution levels are found nearer to busy roads. Of course the clean air act did not stop people heating their homes but it did make it illegal to use certain fuels in certain areas. Reducing the pollution from traffic is a similar principle, I would never argue to ban motor vehicles altogether, rather to encourage other means of transport in the heavily polluted areas (this includes electric cars). gheese77
  • Score: 4

11:17am Wed 2 Apr 14

gheese77 says...

Cyril Bolleaux wrote:
gheese77 wrote:
Cyril Bolleaux wrote:
gheese77 wrote: Air pollution causes 29000 premature deaths per year in the UK. The EU commission is currently taking legal action against the UK due to the appalling air quality in UK cities. This pollution is primarily from motor vehicles exacerbated by sahara dust, which is a natural phenomenon. This is the reason traffic needs to be reduced, to make the UK a safer and more pleasant place to live.
You Greens need to wake up to the fact that people get sick of being told that the Greens know best and that the rest of us must do as we are told by the Greens. Your constant preaching of Green propaganda does not persuade but actually has the opposite effect.
Air quality levels or premaure deaths are not 'green propoganda' but scientific facts. We had smogs in the 1950's that killed many thousands and led to the clean air act, long before the green party even existed. Maybe you should ask an asthmatic currently suffering from the current high pollution levels if they are just faking it for 'green propoganda' purposes.
These are not scientific facts but statistics which need to be interpreted. Your conclusion that reducing traffic is the solution is pure propaganda. The Clean Air act did not ban people from heating their homes it changed fuel use. I have used an asthma inhaler all my life.
I am afraid you are wrong on the air pollution levels being open to interpretation, these are measurements of gases such as Nitrogen dioxide in parts per million in the air. These are absolute measurements and not open to interpretation, it can also be shown that higher pollution levels are found nearer to busy roads.
Of course the clean air act did not stop people heating their homes but it did make it illegal to use certain fuels in certain areas. Reducing the pollution from traffic is a similar principle, I would never argue to ban motor vehicles altogether, rather to encourage other means of transport in the heavily polluted areas (this includes electric cars).
[quote][p][bold]Cyril Bolleaux[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]gheese77[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Cyril Bolleaux[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]gheese77[/bold] wrote: Air pollution causes 29000 premature deaths per year in the UK. The EU commission is currently taking legal action against the UK due to the appalling air quality in UK cities. This pollution is primarily from motor vehicles exacerbated by sahara dust, which is a natural phenomenon. This is the reason traffic needs to be reduced, to make the UK a safer and more pleasant place to live.[/p][/quote]You Greens need to wake up to the fact that people get sick of being told that the Greens know best and that the rest of us must do as we are told by the Greens. Your constant preaching of Green propaganda does not persuade but actually has the opposite effect.[/p][/quote]Air quality levels or premaure deaths are not 'green propoganda' but scientific facts. We had smogs in the 1950's that killed many thousands and led to the clean air act, long before the green party even existed. Maybe you should ask an asthmatic currently suffering from the current high pollution levels if they are just faking it for 'green propoganda' purposes.[/p][/quote]These are not scientific facts but statistics which need to be interpreted. Your conclusion that reducing traffic is the solution is pure propaganda. The Clean Air act did not ban people from heating their homes it changed fuel use. I have used an asthma inhaler all my life.[/p][/quote]I am afraid you are wrong on the air pollution levels being open to interpretation, these are measurements of gases such as Nitrogen dioxide in parts per million in the air. These are absolute measurements and not open to interpretation, it can also be shown that higher pollution levels are found nearer to busy roads. Of course the clean air act did not stop people heating their homes but it did make it illegal to use certain fuels in certain areas. Reducing the pollution from traffic is a similar principle, I would never argue to ban motor vehicles altogether, rather to encourage other means of transport in the heavily polluted areas (this includes electric cars). gheese77
  • Score: 0

12:17pm Wed 2 Apr 14

john newman says...

I think the Greens will only be happy if we go back to horse and carts! No doubt then they would moan about some other pollution, manure, but at least their vegetables would be excellent!!

At least they could lower the speed limit yet again as no cart could do 20mph over long distances.

LONG LIVE CARS
I think the Greens will only be happy if we go back to horse and carts! No doubt then they would moan about some other pollution, manure, but at least their vegetables would be excellent!! At least they could lower the speed limit yet again as no cart could do 20mph over long distances. LONG LIVE CARS john newman
  • Score: 0

1:59pm Wed 2 Apr 14

qm says...

gheese77 wrote:
Air pollution causes 29000 premature deaths per year in the UK. The EU commission is currently taking legal action against the UK due to the appalling air quality in UK cities. This pollution is primarily from motor vehicles exacerbated by sahara dust, which is a natural phenomenon. This is the reason traffic needs to be reduced, to make the UK a safer and more pleasant place to live.
Surprised you haven't proposed a green slime solution by turning the Sahara into a cycle path for camels . . . . .
[quote][p][bold]gheese77[/bold] wrote: Air pollution causes 29000 premature deaths per year in the UK. The EU commission is currently taking legal action against the UK due to the appalling air quality in UK cities. This pollution is primarily from motor vehicles exacerbated by sahara dust, which is a natural phenomenon. This is the reason traffic needs to be reduced, to make the UK a safer and more pleasant place to live.[/p][/quote]Surprised you haven't proposed a green slime solution by turning the Sahara into a cycle path for camels . . . . . qm
  • Score: 1

4:12pm Wed 2 Apr 14

Notters_Seagull says...

Not sure what this has to do with the Greens. 5% of deaths in Sussex are caused by air pollution. If you're ok with that then fine, but most people will probably realise that we should do something about it. That doesn't necessarily mean not driving, but reducing the number of cars, buses and HGVs in particular hotspots would be start.
Not sure what this has to do with the Greens. 5% of deaths in Sussex are caused by air pollution. If you're ok with that then fine, but most people will probably realise that we should do something about it. That doesn't necessarily mean not driving, but reducing the number of cars, buses and HGVs in particular hotspots would be start. Notters_Seagull
  • Score: 0

4:15pm Wed 2 Apr 14

Notters_Seagull says...

john newman wrote:
I think the Greens will only be happy if we go back to horse and carts! No doubt then they would moan about some other pollution, manure, but at least their vegetables would be excellent!!

At least they could lower the speed limit yet again as no cart could do 20mph over long distances.

LONG LIVE CARS
Lowering the speed limit is BAD for pollution.
[quote][p][bold]john newman[/bold] wrote: I think the Greens will only be happy if we go back to horse and carts! No doubt then they would moan about some other pollution, manure, but at least their vegetables would be excellent!! At least they could lower the speed limit yet again as no cart could do 20mph over long distances. LONG LIVE CARS[/p][/quote]Lowering the speed limit is BAD for pollution. Notters_Seagull
  • Score: 3

4:55pm Wed 2 Apr 14

Zeta Function says...

My pharynx, larynx, trachea and bronchi are intensely itchy, sore and swollen today.

When I try to breath deep: sharp stabs of pain across my chest. My mouth is dry. Nose dry and intensely itchy. A jog is not a good idea.

The birds are unusually quiet.
My pharynx, larynx, trachea and bronchi are intensely itchy, sore and swollen today. When I try to breath deep: sharp stabs of pain across my chest. My mouth is dry. Nose dry and intensely itchy. A jog is not a good idea. The birds are unusually quiet. Zeta Function
  • Score: 0

5:05pm Wed 2 Apr 14

birthofanorange says...

Zeta Function wrote:
My pharynx, larynx, trachea and bronchi are intensely itchy, sore and swollen today.

When I try to breath deep: sharp stabs of pain across my chest. My mouth is dry. Nose dry and intensely itchy. A jog is not a good idea.

The birds are unusually quiet.
Then may I suggest some shallow breathing and a total dismissal of the notion of a jog?
As for the birds being quiet....not in my local pub.
[quote][p][bold]Zeta Function[/bold] wrote: My pharynx, larynx, trachea and bronchi are intensely itchy, sore and swollen today. When I try to breath deep: sharp stabs of pain across my chest. My mouth is dry. Nose dry and intensely itchy. A jog is not a good idea. The birds are unusually quiet.[/p][/quote]Then may I suggest some shallow breathing and a total dismissal of the notion of a jog? As for the birds being quiet....not in my local pub. birthofanorange
  • Score: 0

5:12pm Wed 2 Apr 14

Father Hackett says...

gheese77 wrote:
Air pollution causes 29000 premature deaths per year in the UK. The EU commission is currently taking legal action against the UK due to the appalling air quality in UK cities. This pollution is primarily from motor vehicles exacerbated by sahara dust, which is a natural phenomenon. This is the reason traffic needs to be reduced, to make the UK a safer and more pleasant place to live.
No we need to be able to travel in fourth gear at 30 miles an hour rather than in second gear at 20 miles an hour, thereby reducing noise and particulate pollution and stop wasting a natural resource, ie petrol.
[quote][p][bold]gheese77[/bold] wrote: Air pollution causes 29000 premature deaths per year in the UK. The EU commission is currently taking legal action against the UK due to the appalling air quality in UK cities. This pollution is primarily from motor vehicles exacerbated by sahara dust, which is a natural phenomenon. This is the reason traffic needs to be reduced, to make the UK a safer and more pleasant place to live.[/p][/quote]No we need to be able to travel in fourth gear at 30 miles an hour rather than in second gear at 20 miles an hour, thereby reducing noise and particulate pollution and stop wasting a natural resource, ie petrol. Father Hackett
  • Score: 2

5:39pm Wed 2 Apr 14

her professional says...

Cyril Bolleaux wrote:
gheese77 wrote:
Air pollution causes 29000 premature deaths per year in the UK. The EU commission is currently taking legal action against the UK due to the appalling air quality in UK cities. This pollution is primarily from motor vehicles exacerbated by sahara dust, which is a natural phenomenon. This is the reason traffic needs to be reduced, to make the UK a safer and more pleasant place to live.
You Greens need to wake up to the fact that people get sick of being told that the Greens know best and that the rest of us must do as we are told by the Greens. Your constant preaching of Green propaganda does not persuade but actually has the opposite effect.
So your carefully reasoned argument about the causes of pollution is........?
[quote][p][bold]Cyril Bolleaux[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]gheese77[/bold] wrote: Air pollution causes 29000 premature deaths per year in the UK. The EU commission is currently taking legal action against the UK due to the appalling air quality in UK cities. This pollution is primarily from motor vehicles exacerbated by sahara dust, which is a natural phenomenon. This is the reason traffic needs to be reduced, to make the UK a safer and more pleasant place to live.[/p][/quote]You Greens need to wake up to the fact that people get sick of being told that the Greens know best and that the rest of us must do as we are told by the Greens. Your constant preaching of Green propaganda does not persuade but actually has the opposite effect.[/p][/quote]So your carefully reasoned argument about the causes of pollution is........? her professional
  • Score: -3

6:28pm Wed 2 Apr 14

dwhitt says...

nice sunsets recently.... thank you sahara
nice sunsets recently.... thank you sahara dwhitt
  • Score: 3

7:53pm Wed 2 Apr 14

Tammy Flugh says...

Gribbet wrote:
Of course it would be foreign emissions from 'the continent' and dust from Africa. Nothing to do with good old British emissions, British emissions are fine and would never pose a health risk to the nation. Vote UKIP to stop these foreign emissions from invading our shores!
Foreign dust, coming over here, filling our vacuum cleaners.
[quote][p][bold]Gribbet[/bold] wrote: Of course it would be foreign emissions from 'the continent' and dust from Africa. Nothing to do with good old British emissions, British emissions are fine and would never pose a health risk to the nation. Vote UKIP to stop these foreign emissions from invading our shores![/p][/quote]Foreign dust, coming over here, filling our vacuum cleaners. Tammy Flugh
  • Score: 5

4:28pm Thu 3 Apr 14

thevoiceoftruth says...

Father Hackett wrote:
gheese77 wrote:
Air pollution causes 29000 premature deaths per year in the UK. The EU commission is currently taking legal action against the UK due to the appalling air quality in UK cities. This pollution is primarily from motor vehicles exacerbated by sahara dust, which is a natural phenomenon. This is the reason traffic needs to be reduced, to make the UK a safer and more pleasant place to live.
No we need to be able to travel in fourth gear at 30 miles an hour rather than in second gear at 20 miles an hour, thereby reducing noise and particulate pollution and stop wasting a natural resource, ie petrol.
Agree - it's very difficult driving at 20mph without either changing to 3rd and engine juddering because the car is going too slow, or burning up fuel and pushing my car to the limit using 2nd. Driving in higher gears saves petrol.
[quote][p][bold]Father Hackett[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]gheese77[/bold] wrote: Air pollution causes 29000 premature deaths per year in the UK. The EU commission is currently taking legal action against the UK due to the appalling air quality in UK cities. This pollution is primarily from motor vehicles exacerbated by sahara dust, which is a natural phenomenon. This is the reason traffic needs to be reduced, to make the UK a safer and more pleasant place to live.[/p][/quote]No we need to be able to travel in fourth gear at 30 miles an hour rather than in second gear at 20 miles an hour, thereby reducing noise and particulate pollution and stop wasting a natural resource, ie petrol.[/p][/quote]Agree - it's very difficult driving at 20mph without either changing to 3rd and engine juddering because the car is going too slow, or burning up fuel and pushing my car to the limit using 2nd. Driving in higher gears saves petrol. thevoiceoftruth
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree