A 34-year-old man is being questioned by Sussex Police officers on suspicion of commiting an offence under the Firearms Act. Officers are searching a house this evening.
No shots were fired and nobody was injured in the incident.
Detective Superintendent Steve Black, who led the operation, said: "I would like to thank everyone for their patience and co-operation while this sensitive incident was brought to a safe conclusion.
"I am aware that there was significant disruption, but it was essential to close off the immediate area to ensure the safety of everyone living and working locally, as well as those seeking to resolve it."
- Retail giant creates 100 jobs
- Travellers move on to St Helen's Park in Hangleton
- Chancellor announces major theatre boost on Brighton stage
- VIDEO: Nearly 2,000 bottles of wine stolen from Shoreham shop
- Green councillor changes mind on boycott of Israeli good and services