A mother who discovered a metal clip after biting into a Sainsbury’s sausage has called on supermarket chiefs to take action.
Naomi Rosenberg was about to feed the snack to her two-year-old daughter when her teeth crunched on the piece of metal.
The 33-year-old said: “It was horrific, it has put me off meat for life.
“I was going to feed it to my daughter first but thought I would try it because we had never had them before.
“I felt a crack on my teeth, it could have been life threatening. If I had swallowed it, it would have cut all my throat and insides up.”
The mum, who lives in Hove, bought the pre-packed sausages from the Sainsbury’s store in New England Street.
Deciding to try a change from her normal sausages she opted for the special lamb and chicken kofta range.
She cooked them up at home as usual and decided to tuck in before feeding her daughter.
But with her first bite she felt a crunch in her mouth.
She said: “They looked fine when I was cooking them, there was nothing to suggest there was anything wrong.
“It was a good thing I didn’t give them to my daughter to try, I don’t even want to think what would have happened if she had bitten into it.
“It’s horrific, I don’t even like to think about it now. It’s put me off meat for life. I can’t even look at the picture.”
She added: “My concern is that if it could happen to me then it could happen to others. I really think something needs to be done.
“I want them to take it seriously. I was lucky in a way and I want to make sure it doesn’t happen again.”
A spokesman for Sainsbury’s told The Argus action had been taken adding that no other complaints had been received.
He said: “We have been in constant contact with Mrs Rosenburg and have apologised for this incident.
“We have now completed our investigation and can confirm that this is not a hook and was in fact a bag clip.
“Our supplier has very robust measures to prevent this kind of issue from happening and no other complaints have been received.”