Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Arsonists tried to burn down empty Littlehampton house
Updated 10:07am Wednesday 9th April 2014 in News
Firefighters were called after an attempt was made to torch an empty home.
Crews from Littlehampton and East Preston stations were called to a house in St Winefride’s Road in Littlehampton at 2.15am.
Firefighters said that inside the vandalised property there had been numerous attempts to start a fire with piles of paper on the first and ground floors but only one of the fires was still going when they arrived.
Crews initially responded to a “persons reported” inside the property but when they arrived the house was empty.
Firefighters used two high-pressured hose reels and six crew with breathing apparatus to deal with the incident which was then handed over to police.
A Sussex Police spokesman said: “After a search of the area officers arrested five people on suspicion of burglary.
“They are two men aged 24, one man aged 20, one man aged 18 and a 15-year old girl, all from the local area.
“They are currently in custody for interview and further enquiries.”
- Mother facing jail for neglect after being found drunk at 11.30am
- Hundreds of jobs at risk after supermarket chain pulls out of development
- Travellers arrive at Black Rock in Brighton
- Sussex Hospitals prepare for rise in patients due to heatwave
- Sussex coast Wind farm plans ‘harmful to birds and environment’
Comments are closed on this article.