Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Fire at Gatwick immigration centre
Updated 12:24pm Saturday 12th April 2014 in News
Firefighters were called to an immigration removal centre after a detainee set fire to a mattress.
Crews were sent to Brook House at Gatwick Airport at around 11.30pm last night following reports of a fire in one of the rooms.
The blaze was out by the time the crew from Crawley Fire Station arrived.
They made sure the area was safe before leaving.
The centre holds up to 448 adult male detainees, made up of failed asylum seekers and ex-prisoners awaiting deportation.
There were no reports of anyone being hurt in the incident.
- Eastbourne Pier fire: Arcade left gutted by blaze at 140-year-old venue
- Former PCSO found guilty of stealing from passengers at Gatwick Airport
- Man left with cuts and bruises after being attacked in front of his wife and children
- Man left with broken eye socket after being attacked by two men
- Flooded residents told: Don't blame it on the drains