Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Fire at Gatwick immigration centre
Updated 12:24pm Saturday 12th April 2014 in News
Firefighters were called to an immigration removal centre after a detainee set fire to a mattress.
Crews were sent to Brook House at Gatwick Airport at around 11.30pm last night following reports of a fire in one of the rooms.
The blaze was out by the time the crew from Crawley Fire Station arrived.
They made sure the area was safe before leaving.
The centre holds up to 448 adult male detainees, made up of failed asylum seekers and ex-prisoners awaiting deportation.
There were no reports of anyone being hurt in the incident.
- Investigations launched after workman dies from pier fall
- Seven months of misery - Brighton seafront roadworks delayed again
- Drinkers locked out of pub besiege staff and customers
- Father's plea to burglars over pictures
- Charity backs calls for tougher rules on 'legal highs'