Firefighters were called to an immigration removal centre after a detainee set fire to a mattress.
Crews were sent to Brook House at Gatwick Airport at around 11.30pm last night following reports of a fire in one of the rooms.
The blaze was out by the time the crew from Crawley Fire Station arrived.
They made sure the area was safe before leaving.
The centre holds up to 448 adult male detainees, made up of failed asylum seekers and ex-prisoners awaiting deportation.
There were no reports of anyone being hurt in the incident.
- Coach passengers able to walk away from crash with crane on A27
- VIDEO: Madness of man who stops to have his picture taken sat on the edge of 500ft cliff
- Body found on beach not being treated as suspicious
- Two taken to hospital following crash on A27
- Air ambulance called as boy, 12, is knocked over