Firefighters were called to an immigration removal centre after a detainee set fire to a mattress.
Crews were sent to Brook House at Gatwick Airport at around 11.30pm last night following reports of a fire in one of the rooms.
The blaze was out by the time the crew from Crawley Fire Station arrived.
They made sure the area was safe before leaving.
The centre holds up to 448 adult male detainees, made up of failed asylum seekers and ex-prisoners awaiting deportation.
There were no reports of anyone being hurt in the incident.
- MP's warning on new 'severe' terror alert
- Company given £15,000 fine for asbestos work
- Pensioner hit over the head with crowbar
- VIDEO: Thieves raid ‘Aladdin’s cave’ of wine for £20,000 of posh plonk
- CCTV: Duo wanted for glassing man at birthday party