Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Long Man of Wilmington used for protest
8:30am Monday 14th April 2014 in News
Campaigners took to the hills to protest against the March for England later this month.
The ancient Long Man of Wilmington chalk carving on the Sussex Downs had a new look on Saturday morning as part of the eye-catching stunt.
White lines were placed across the top of the carving so it appeared to be holding up a banner with the message “Stop the Racist March for England.”
The 35m by 13m banner was unveiled by members of the Stop the March for England group.
It was taken down by the campaigners a couple of hours later.
They are angry about the planned march, which is due to take place in Brighton on April 27.
Far-right groups planning to hold the event are expected to be confronted by anti-fascist protesters.
The city ground to a halt last year as a £500,000 police operation struggled to keep the groups apart.
Stop the March for England member Tony Campbell said: “We chose this location because we felt it was important to show how the whole of Sussex, not just Brighton, rejects the hate-filled and divisive message of the March for England.”
The 235-foot man-shaped image is England's tallest chalk hill figure and one of the largest in the world.
It has puzzled historians and archaeologists for generations.
The man, who holds two 'staves' and appears in proportion from below, was originally believed to be an Anglo Saxon warrior or Roman folly.
However more recent research suggests it dates back to the mid-16th century.
- Flooded residents told: Don't blame it on the drains
- Pensioner's car mounts pavement, hits pedestrian and crashes into road sign
- Violence spike did not occur during World Cup – Sussex Police
- Huge step for i360 as first ground is broken
- Victims told to choose the punishment for their tormentors