New fears of closure to Newhaven ferry crossing

Ferry crossing closure could cost 500 jobs

Ferry crossing closure could cost 500 jobs

First published in News by , Business editor

A Channel ferry crossing has been plunged into fresh uncertainty after French authorities said it could stop subsidising the link.

The Newhaven-Dieppe ferry crossing supports 500 jobs in Sussex but has cost French taxpayers €231 million over ten years.

A senior French official has warned the route cannot continue to depend on the massive public subsidy.

Meanwhile 50th anniversary celebrations of the route were postponed amid a struggle to find a new operator beyond 2015.

The Transmanche ferry route is currently run by DFDS Seaways but its contract expires next year.

The tendering process was plunged into disarray earlier this year after the only bid by MyFerryLink was rejected.

The General Council of Seine-Maritime (CGSM) which subsidises the link is looking for new investors.

It has commissioned a study by Ernst and Young into its continuation and economic viability, due to report back in June.

Nicolas Rouly, new president of the CGSM, said: “I wonder about the relevance of a link that depends solely on public funds.

“This is a potentially difficult decision to take to stop the line. But we have spent €231 million of public money in ten years.”

Mr Rouly called on DFDS Seaways to clarify its ambitions after it said it could not fulfil the contract.

Last year The Argus reported that Newhaven Port could close with the loss of more than 500 jobs after French officials threatened to withdraw funding for the crossing.

But the statement was dismissed as a ploy to persuade English authorities to contribute to the route which would be forbidden under the UK interpretation of EU law.

Users of the line have reacted with dismay at the new threat.

Roger Hudson, of Eastbourne, said: “Our government is pouring billions into already saturated rail transport alongside private initiatives yet ignores routes like this that relieves the burden on rail and the inadequate road network.

“It would be a disaster for Sussex passengers and businesses if this line were to close - it is the most direct route from London and the South-East to Paris and western France for both commercial and domestic users.”

Comments (40)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:57am Mon 21 Apr 14

Plantpot says...

It's a relatively short distance from Newhaven to Dieppe, but it takes hours to get from one side to another, which must deter day trippers. Any idea why there's such a detour? Is it the depth of the Channel or something?
It's a relatively short distance from Newhaven to Dieppe, but it takes hours to get from one side to another, which must deter day trippers. Any idea why there's such a detour? Is it the depth of the Channel or something? Plantpot
  • Score: -10

8:04am Mon 21 Apr 14

rogerthefish says...

Because it's about 60 miles and ships can't fly.
Because it's about 60 miles and ships can't fly. rogerthefish
  • Score: 36

8:16am Mon 21 Apr 14

monkeymoo says...

Plantpot wrote:
It's a relatively short distance from Newhaven to Dieppe, but it takes hours to get from one side to another, which must deter day trippers. Any idea why there's such a detour? Is it the depth of the Channel or something?
The ferry can do it in just under 3 hours but they choose to do it in 4.
The reason for this is so the freight drivers get their legally required break, before driving off on the other side!
[quote][p][bold]Plantpot[/bold] wrote: It's a relatively short distance from Newhaven to Dieppe, but it takes hours to get from one side to another, which must deter day trippers. Any idea why there's such a detour? Is it the depth of the Channel or something?[/p][/quote]The ferry can do it in just under 3 hours but they choose to do it in 4. The reason for this is so the freight drivers get their legally required break, before driving off on the other side! monkeymoo
  • Score: 25

8:27am Mon 21 Apr 14

Dingbat99 says...

The timing of the ferries used to be such, that a day trip was feasible, but then the timetable was altered.
The timing of the ferries used to be such, that a day trip was feasible, but then the timetable was altered. Dingbat99
  • Score: 29

8:30am Mon 21 Apr 14

John Steed says...

it is only when it has gone it will be missed. it is a decent way to get to france and although it it 4 hours to cross it saves a 2 hour drive to dover, and dependant on where you are travelling to can save similar time the other side, it is my prefered route to almost all parts of western and northern france, it is also a good day trip to pop over to dieppe for a day out
it is only when it has gone it will be missed. it is a decent way to get to france and although it it 4 hours to cross it saves a 2 hour drive to dover, and dependant on where you are travelling to can save similar time the other side, it is my prefered route to almost all parts of western and northern france, it is also a good day trip to pop over to dieppe for a day out John Steed
  • Score: 19

8:39am Mon 21 Apr 14

Nosfaratu says...

Of course, if the Govt wanted Newhaven to become a major seaport they would have ploughed money into the road and rail connections. Instead most travelers/truckers go to Dover.
Its a travesty that Newhaven has seen no real investment in years, the only alternative to a clogged Dover. This is because of the lack of road and rail infrastructure on the South Coast.
Everyone knows that the rest of the country has had massive road building projects. Being close to London has made no difference, the A23/A27 are appalling. If the port closes everyone should write to the PM.
Of course, if the Govt wanted Newhaven to become a major seaport they would have ploughed money into the road and rail connections. Instead most travelers/truckers go to Dover. Its a travesty that Newhaven has seen no real investment in years, the only alternative to a clogged Dover. This is because of the lack of road and rail infrastructure on the South Coast. Everyone knows that the rest of the country has had massive road building projects. Being close to London has made no difference, the A23/A27 are appalling. If the port closes everyone should write to the PM. Nosfaratu
  • Score: 32

9:09am Mon 21 Apr 14

Old Ladys Gin says...

The contrast between the facilities provided at Newhaven with those at Dieppe is startling.
At Newhaven you have dilapidated buildings with scruffy staff and a general air of dereliction.
In Dieppe things are bright and modern and the staff always smartly turned out and polite.
The officials at Seine-Maritime must be pulling their hair out at the lack of cooperation and initiative shown by the English side.
The contrast between the facilities provided at Newhaven with those at Dieppe is startling. At Newhaven you have dilapidated buildings with scruffy staff and a general air of dereliction. In Dieppe things are bright and modern and the staff always smartly turned out and polite. The officials at Seine-Maritime must be pulling their hair out at the lack of cooperation and initiative shown by the English side. Old Ladys Gin
  • Score: 36

9:43am Mon 21 Apr 14

TIMBURRY says...

John Steed wrote:
it is only when it has gone it will be missed. it is a decent way to get to france and although it it 4 hours to cross it saves a 2 hour drive to dover, and dependant on where you are travelling to can save similar time the other side, it is my prefered route to almost all parts of western and northern france, it is also a good day trip to pop over to dieppe for a day out
I looked at doing a day trip and couldn't believe the price for foot passenger. The timetable and prices are only suitable for car travellers 05.30 and 08.00 departure Times aren't good for anyone using public transport.
[quote][p][bold]John Steed[/bold] wrote: it is only when it has gone it will be missed. it is a decent way to get to france and although it it 4 hours to cross it saves a 2 hour drive to dover, and dependant on where you are travelling to can save similar time the other side, it is my prefered route to almost all parts of western and northern france, it is also a good day trip to pop over to dieppe for a day out[/p][/quote]I looked at doing a day trip and couldn't believe the price for foot passenger. The timetable and prices are only suitable for car travellers 05.30 and 08.00 departure Times aren't good for anyone using public transport. TIMBURRY
  • Score: 14

10:08am Mon 21 Apr 14

raymondo999 says...

Fact of the matter is that Dieppe is a thriving port and seaside resort that doesn't need the ferry. Newhaven is...,well, newhaven. Can't understand why the french taxpayer has been subsidising us Brits all these years, but thanks. As a regular user I suggest you get a foot passenger 5day return out of season and stay in dieppe overnight , come back next evening. Result full day in dieppe, marvellous french food and an 8 hour cruise on a deserted ship for about £30.
Fact of the matter is that Dieppe is a thriving port and seaside resort that doesn't need the ferry. Newhaven is...,well, newhaven. Can't understand why the french taxpayer has been subsidising us Brits all these years, but thanks. As a regular user I suggest you get a foot passenger 5day return out of season and stay in dieppe overnight , come back next evening. Result full day in dieppe, marvellous french food and an 8 hour cruise on a deserted ship for about £30. raymondo999
  • Score: 13

10:19am Mon 21 Apr 14

sussexfoz says...

Newhaven -Dieppe both need this link,this is always my ferry crossing of choice always suprises me how under used it is,
Newhaven -Dieppe both need this link,this is always my ferry crossing of choice always suprises me how under used it is, sussexfoz
  • Score: 10

11:34am Mon 21 Apr 14

Old Ladys Gin says...

raymondo999 wrote:
Fact of the matter is that Dieppe is a thriving port and seaside resort that doesn't need the ferry. Newhaven is...,well, newhaven. Can't understand why the french taxpayer has been subsidising us Brits all these years, but thanks. As a regular user I suggest you get a foot passenger 5day return out of season and stay in dieppe overnight , come back next evening. Result full day in dieppe, marvellous french food and an 8 hour cruise on a deserted ship for about £30.
Stay in Dieppe on Friday night and go to the best local produce market anywhere on the Saturday market. The range and quality of what is on sale is first class.
I'd recommend Hotel de la Plage on the seafront. We stay there a lot and it is a comfortable and friendly place.
You can have a decent seafood meal in the evening (try finding on of them in Newhaven) do the market the next morning and back home after a good lunch.
A couple of years Christmas Eve was a Saturday so we went on the Friday and bought everything we needed for Christmas lunch at the market.
We were home by 22.00 with beautiful fresh food and, most important, free of the manic buying and hassle popular this side of the Channel.
Dieppe is always beautifully decorated for the season.
It'd be a crying shame if this link is lost but I think getting this side to extract the digit and do something is wishful thinking.
[quote][p][bold]raymondo999[/bold] wrote: Fact of the matter is that Dieppe is a thriving port and seaside resort that doesn't need the ferry. Newhaven is...,well, newhaven. Can't understand why the french taxpayer has been subsidising us Brits all these years, but thanks. As a regular user I suggest you get a foot passenger 5day return out of season and stay in dieppe overnight , come back next evening. Result full day in dieppe, marvellous french food and an 8 hour cruise on a deserted ship for about £30.[/p][/quote]Stay in Dieppe on Friday night and go to the best local produce market anywhere on the Saturday market. The range and quality of what is on sale is first class. I'd recommend Hotel de la Plage on the seafront. We stay there a lot and it is a comfortable and friendly place. You can have a decent seafood meal in the evening (try finding on of them in Newhaven) do the market the next morning and back home after a good lunch. A couple of years Christmas Eve was a Saturday so we went on the Friday and bought everything we needed for Christmas lunch at the market. We were home by 22.00 with beautiful fresh food and, most important, free of the manic buying and hassle popular this side of the Channel. Dieppe is always beautifully decorated for the season. It'd be a crying shame if this link is lost but I think getting this side to extract the digit and do something is wishful thinking. Old Ladys Gin
  • Score: 19

11:40am Mon 21 Apr 14

Terry K says...

Way to slow in this day and age, a fast hovercraft would be better or an additional tunnel.
Way to slow in this day and age, a fast hovercraft would be better or an additional tunnel. Terry K
  • Score: 1

12:14pm Mon 21 Apr 14

Tammy Flugh says...

Terry K wrote:
Way to slow in this day and age, a fast hovercraft would be better or an additional tunnel.
Hoverspeed ran two Seacats until eight or nine years ago that made the crossing in about two and a half hours. And usually full. I miss them.
[quote][p][bold]Terry K[/bold] wrote: Way to slow in this day and age, a fast hovercraft would be better or an additional tunnel.[/p][/quote]Hoverspeed ran two Seacats until eight or nine years ago that made the crossing in about two and a half hours. And usually full. I miss them. Tammy Flugh
  • Score: 20

1:17pm Mon 21 Apr 14

wexler53 says...

I've used Newhaven-Dieppe on and off for 40+ years. In all that time, it's always been pretty crass. I was once stopped boarding a near empty ferry at Dieppe, still attached with the ramp connected, well before it's departure time. I was told I would have to wait until the next sailing. This duly materialised many hours later, when I was told they were on strike until further notice. They couldn't have cared less about those, many with young children, who were stuck.

As for Newhaven, it's like the dark ages - dilapidated and inefficient. It's worth the drive to Dover or Portsmouth to get a half decent service.

Sadly, I think the route is past it's sell by date. I can't see any form of private investment coming in at the levels needed. As for public money - there's better things to spend the money on.

They can connect Dieppe to Dover probably, but the length of crossing would negate any advantages.

Newhaven needs a different kind of investment to support it's commercial and industrial side, fishing and tourism, and evolving the marina facilities. Maybe a fast passenger catamaran service to Dieppe in season could be an add on.

But I think the ferry is a dead duck.
I've used Newhaven-Dieppe on and off for 40+ years. In all that time, it's always been pretty crass. I was once stopped boarding a near empty ferry at Dieppe, still attached with the ramp connected, well before it's departure time. I was told I would have to wait until the next sailing. This duly materialised many hours later, when I was told they were on strike until further notice. They couldn't have cared less about those, many with young children, who were stuck. As for Newhaven, it's like the dark ages - dilapidated and inefficient. It's worth the drive to Dover or Portsmouth to get a half decent service. Sadly, I think the route is past it's sell by date. I can't see any form of private investment coming in at the levels needed. As for public money - there's better things to spend the money on. They can connect Dieppe to Dover probably, but the length of crossing would negate any advantages. Newhaven needs a different kind of investment to support it's commercial and industrial side, fishing and tourism, and evolving the marina facilities. Maybe a fast passenger catamaran service to Dieppe in season could be an add on. But I think the ferry is a dead duck. wexler53
  • Score: 0

1:21pm Mon 21 Apr 14

Old Ladys Gin says...

Terry K wrote:
Way to slow in this day and age, a fast hovercraft would be better or an additional tunnel.
It is 60 miles and 3.5 to 4.0 hours is par for the course for a ferry.
The ferry can also travel in conditions which would force a Seacat type craft to stay in harbour.
The ship can also carry a much larger load and far more passengers; with the added extra of cabins for the lorry drivers who need to rest.
Bear in mind it can take you at least 2hrs to drive to Dover (and you are at the mercy of the M25; quite possibly the largest car park in Europe).
If you are heading south from Dieppe you can also avoid Paris and its' suburbs.
It's the total time of the journey and not just the crossing which is important.
[quote][p][bold]Terry K[/bold] wrote: Way to slow in this day and age, a fast hovercraft would be better or an additional tunnel.[/p][/quote]It is 60 miles and 3.5 to 4.0 hours is par for the course for a ferry. The ferry can also travel in conditions which would force a Seacat type craft to stay in harbour. The ship can also carry a much larger load and far more passengers; with the added extra of cabins for the lorry drivers who need to rest. Bear in mind it can take you at least 2hrs to drive to Dover (and you are at the mercy of the M25; quite possibly the largest car park in Europe). If you are heading south from Dieppe you can also avoid Paris and its' suburbs. It's the total time of the journey and not just the crossing which is important. Old Ladys Gin
  • Score: 8

2:20pm Mon 21 Apr 14

Mark the cab says...

France was always a destination for the Booze cruise day out with designated driver, Dieppe Market , hypermarket. Beers wine, smelly cheese,
French Bread . Then lunch & beers for a fixe prixe meal along quayside , before getting French bangers, flick knives & cheap snout before ferry home
& more duty free on the boat. Brits abroad those were the days!
France was always a destination for the Booze cruise day out with designated driver, Dieppe Market , hypermarket. Beers wine, smelly cheese, French Bread . Then lunch & beers for a fixe prixe meal along quayside , before getting French bangers, flick knives & cheap snout before ferry home & more duty free on the boat. Brits abroad those were the days! Mark the cab
  • Score: 10

2:46pm Mon 21 Apr 14

Terry K says...

Tammy Flugh wrote:
Terry K wrote:
Way to slow in this day and age, a fast hovercraft would be better or an additional tunnel.
Hoverspeed ran two Seacats until eight or nine years ago that made the crossing in about two and a half hours. And usually full. I miss them.
Anyone know why the SeaCat service stopped running years ago?
[quote][p][bold]Tammy Flugh[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Terry K[/bold] wrote: Way to slow in this day and age, a fast hovercraft would be better or an additional tunnel.[/p][/quote]Hoverspeed ran two Seacats until eight or nine years ago that made the crossing in about two and a half hours. And usually full. I miss them.[/p][/quote]Anyone know why the SeaCat service stopped running years ago? Terry K
  • Score: 0

3:04pm Mon 21 Apr 14

sound_man says...

The sea-cat stopped because the ships were too expensive to run.
The sea-cat stopped because the ships were too expensive to run. sound_man
  • Score: 4

3:36pm Mon 21 Apr 14

Gymnopedie says...

Moving from London to Sussex in 1966, my husband and I have used the Newhaven-Dieppe ferry every year since then (exception strikes). The line has changed drastically but it is still the only mid-coast connection to France. Yes, the facilities both at the port and on board are crap; yes the infrastructure for a modern port should have been put in place - but the development should have been there before now. At long last the Council is looking to upgrade Newhaven, so perhaps this is a wake up call. The implications of the ferry loss go well beyond the 500 jobs.
Moving from London to Sussex in 1966, my husband and I have used the Newhaven-Dieppe ferry every year since then (exception strikes). The line has changed drastically but it is still the only mid-coast connection to France. Yes, the facilities both at the port and on board are crap; yes the infrastructure for a modern port should have been put in place - but the development should have been there before now. At long last the Council is looking to upgrade Newhaven, so perhaps this is a wake up call. The implications of the ferry loss go well beyond the 500 jobs. Gymnopedie
  • Score: 8

4:54pm Mon 21 Apr 14

hubby says...

Brighton to Fecamp could be regenerated?
Brighton to Fecamp could be regenerated? hubby
  • Score: 3

5:22pm Mon 21 Apr 14

rolivan says...

Brittany Ferries have just started an economy route from Portsmouth to Le Have . I think The French Government might be putting more money into places like Caen Lehavre Cherbourg St Malo and Ro scoff . They have recently carried out major works on the Roads from Cherbourg down the Peninsular . What does amaze me is the amount of road building and yet The A 27 is still not finished 50 years on from when the Honiton to Folkestone Bypass was first proposed why aren't the Government seeking EU funding.
Brittany Ferries have just started an economy route from Portsmouth to Le Have . I think The French Government might be putting more money into places like Caen Lehavre Cherbourg St Malo and Ro scoff . They have recently carried out major works on the Roads from Cherbourg down the Peninsular . What does amaze me is the amount of road building and yet The A 27 is still not finished 50 years on from when the Honiton to Folkestone Bypass was first proposed why aren't the Government seeking EU funding. rolivan
  • Score: 4

7:08pm Mon 21 Apr 14

Jimmy Stewart's Imaginary Rabbit says...

Subsidised? Blimey I'd hate to see the prices if it wasn't. I have a friend who lives just south of Dieppe. Rather than go via Newhaven it's cheaper for us to drive to Dover, get the short ferry or tunnel (there are always deals) and then drive to Dieppe. Plus the timings are better as there seem to be about two ferries a day now.

It never used to be that bad and for a number of reasons I'd prefer to go via Newhaven, but the economics dictate otherwise.
Subsidised? Blimey I'd hate to see the prices if it wasn't. I have a friend who lives just south of Dieppe. Rather than go via Newhaven it's cheaper for us to drive to Dover, get the short ferry or tunnel (there are always deals) and then drive to Dieppe. Plus the timings are better as there seem to be about two ferries a day now. It never used to be that bad and for a number of reasons I'd prefer to go via Newhaven, but the economics dictate otherwise. Jimmy Stewart's Imaginary Rabbit
  • Score: 4

7:18pm Mon 21 Apr 14

Jimmy Stewart's Imaginary Rabbit says...

Nosfaratu wrote:
Of course, if the Govt wanted Newhaven to become a major seaport they would have ploughed money into the road and rail connections. Instead most travelers/truckers go to Dover.
Its a travesty that Newhaven has seen no real investment in years, the only alternative to a clogged Dover. This is because of the lack of road and rail infrastructure on the South Coast.
Everyone knows that the rest of the country has had massive road building projects. Being close to London has made no difference, the A23/A27 are appalling. If the port closes everyone should write to the PM.
That's very true. Like so many places in Sussex Newhaven can only be reached by road by a couple of country lanes. Add to that the fact it's also on a tiny branch line and it's a wonder the port has stayed open as long as it has.
[quote][p][bold]Nosfaratu[/bold] wrote: Of course, if the Govt wanted Newhaven to become a major seaport they would have ploughed money into the road and rail connections. Instead most travelers/truckers go to Dover. Its a travesty that Newhaven has seen no real investment in years, the only alternative to a clogged Dover. This is because of the lack of road and rail infrastructure on the South Coast. Everyone knows that the rest of the country has had massive road building projects. Being close to London has made no difference, the A23/A27 are appalling. If the port closes everyone should write to the PM.[/p][/quote]That's very true. Like so many places in Sussex Newhaven can only be reached by road by a couple of country lanes. Add to that the fact it's also on a tiny branch line and it's a wonder the port has stayed open as long as it has. Jimmy Stewart's Imaginary Rabbit
  • Score: 1

8:08pm Mon 21 Apr 14

76robmac says...

It would be a great pity's if this route was to cease as I use this ferry when driving down to Spain
It would be a great pity's if this route was to cease as I use this ferry when driving down to Spain 76robmac
  • Score: 2

8:24pm Mon 21 Apr 14

Tammy Flugh says...

Why does the service need 500 Sussex employees anyway?
Why does the service need 500 Sussex employees anyway? Tammy Flugh
  • Score: -2

8:49pm Mon 21 Apr 14

Nikski says...

Terry K wrote:
Tammy Flugh wrote:
Terry K wrote:
Way to slow in this day and age, a fast hovercraft would be better or an additional tunnel.
Hoverspeed ran two Seacats until eight or nine years ago that made the crossing in about two and a half hours. And usually full. I miss them.
Anyone know why the SeaCat service stopped running years ago?
The Seacats were certainly quicker but useless in bad weather as they couldn't cope with rough seas, and weren't too clever even if it was a bit choppy! So basically could only run in light winds and calm seas and weren't economic. Same with hovercraft I'm afraid
[quote][p][bold]Terry K[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Tammy Flugh[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Terry K[/bold] wrote: Way to slow in this day and age, a fast hovercraft would be better or an additional tunnel.[/p][/quote]Hoverspeed ran two Seacats until eight or nine years ago that made the crossing in about two and a half hours. And usually full. I miss them.[/p][/quote]Anyone know why the SeaCat service stopped running years ago?[/p][/quote]The Seacats were certainly quicker but useless in bad weather as they couldn't cope with rough seas, and weren't too clever even if it was a bit choppy! So basically could only run in light winds and calm seas and weren't economic. Same with hovercraft I'm afraid Nikski
  • Score: 1

9:12pm Mon 21 Apr 14

ghost bus driver says...

Old Ladys Gin wrote:
raymondo999 wrote:
Fact of the matter is that Dieppe is a thriving port and seaside resort that doesn't need the ferry. Newhaven is...,well, newhaven. Can't understand why the french taxpayer has been subsidising us Brits all these years, but thanks. As a regular user I suggest you get a foot passenger 5day return out of season and stay in dieppe overnight , come back next evening. Result full day in dieppe, marvellous french food and an 8 hour cruise on a deserted ship for about £30.
Stay in Dieppe on Friday night and go to the best local produce market anywhere on the Saturday market. The range and quality of what is on sale is first class.
I'd recommend Hotel de la Plage on the seafront. We stay there a lot and it is a comfortable and friendly place.
You can have a decent seafood meal in the evening (try finding on of them in Newhaven) do the market the next morning and back home after a good lunch.
A couple of years Christmas Eve was a Saturday so we went on the Friday and bought everything we needed for Christmas lunch at the market.
We were home by 22.00 with beautiful fresh food and, most important, free of the manic buying and hassle popular this side of the Channel.
Dieppe is always beautifully decorated for the season.
It'd be a crying shame if this link is lost but I think getting this side to extract the digit and do something is wishful thinking.
Absolutely. Dieppe is a beautiful place. Especially the beautiful gothic cathedral, L'Eglise Saint-Jacques. And as you say, there's the market and the beaches etc.
[quote][p][bold]Old Ladys Gin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]raymondo999[/bold] wrote: Fact of the matter is that Dieppe is a thriving port and seaside resort that doesn't need the ferry. Newhaven is...,well, newhaven. Can't understand why the french taxpayer has been subsidising us Brits all these years, but thanks. As a regular user I suggest you get a foot passenger 5day return out of season and stay in dieppe overnight , come back next evening. Result full day in dieppe, marvellous french food and an 8 hour cruise on a deserted ship for about £30.[/p][/quote]Stay in Dieppe on Friday night and go to the best local produce market anywhere on the Saturday market. The range and quality of what is on sale is first class. I'd recommend Hotel de la Plage on the seafront. We stay there a lot and it is a comfortable and friendly place. You can have a decent seafood meal in the evening (try finding on of them in Newhaven) do the market the next morning and back home after a good lunch. A couple of years Christmas Eve was a Saturday so we went on the Friday and bought everything we needed for Christmas lunch at the market. We were home by 22.00 with beautiful fresh food and, most important, free of the manic buying and hassle popular this side of the Channel. Dieppe is always beautifully decorated for the season. It'd be a crying shame if this link is lost but I think getting this side to extract the digit and do something is wishful thinking.[/p][/quote]Absolutely. Dieppe is a beautiful place. Especially the beautiful gothic cathedral, L'Eglise Saint-Jacques. And as you say, there's the market and the beaches etc. ghost bus driver
  • Score: 4

9:20pm Mon 21 Apr 14

rfairweather@tiscali.co.uk says...

Well done Argus, got a photo of a Transmanche ferry (The Dieppe) which ceased crossing about 8 years ago. Having said that, it would be a pity if the service ceased. Expensive yes, but a good way to save money on road tolls and fuel if your destination is S France, Spain or Portugal.
Well done Argus, got a photo of a Transmanche ferry (The Dieppe) which ceased crossing about 8 years ago. Having said that, it would be a pity if the service ceased. Expensive yes, but a good way to save money on road tolls and fuel if your destination is S France, Spain or Portugal. rfairweather@tiscali.co.uk
  • Score: 3

9:29pm Mon 21 Apr 14

Scorpion says...

Slight inaccuracies: The contract terminates at the end of this year. DFDS have offered to run it under the same terms for another year but this has been rejected. The MyFerryLink "bid" basically said that it couldnt operate the service within the confines of the proposed contract so it wasnt a real bid as such.

When LD Lines took over some 7 years ago I was in a meeting with the then (maybe still) CEO of that company where he stated that without the subsidy the costs - and therefore ticket prices would double. In his mind that would make the service uneconomic to run (and that was 7 years ago).

I have been told that there are several thousand jobs dependent on the ferry service in Dieppe alone. Thats not to say they are jobs at the ports on either side. These are jobs related to servicing the ferry - supplying food, goodies for the shop and so on ...not to mention the various transport compaines on both sides of the channel which are based in the ports for bthe reasons of making it easy to do trade.

Yes... Newhaven looks tired and past its sell-by date. The French authorities have put much more money into refurbishing their facilities than the privatised port on Newhaven ever has. This IS the indictment against privatising things without a thought about the service it was meant to provide. (Thank you Maggie).
Slight inaccuracies: The contract terminates at the end of this year. DFDS have offered to run it under the same terms for another year but this has been rejected. The MyFerryLink "bid" basically said that it couldnt operate the service within the confines of the proposed contract so it wasnt a real bid as such. When LD Lines took over some 7 years ago I was in a meeting with the then (maybe still) CEO of that company where he stated that without the subsidy the costs - and therefore ticket prices would double. In his mind that would make the service uneconomic to run (and that was 7 years ago). I have been told that there are several thousand jobs dependent on the ferry service in Dieppe alone. Thats not to say they are jobs at the ports on either side. These are jobs related to servicing the ferry - supplying food, goodies for the shop and so on ...not to mention the various transport compaines on both sides of the channel which are based in the ports for bthe reasons of making it easy to do trade. Yes... Newhaven looks tired and past its sell-by date. The French authorities have put much more money into refurbishing their facilities than the privatised port on Newhaven ever has. This IS the indictment against privatising things without a thought about the service it was meant to provide. (Thank you Maggie). Scorpion
  • Score: 3

12:11am Tue 22 Apr 14

Vigilia says...

"A senior French official has warned the route cannot continue to depend on the massive public subsidy."
Could this senior French official please be put in charge of the travellers transit site at Horsdean and save the Brighton and Hove taxpayers a fortune?
"A senior French official has warned the route cannot continue to depend on the massive public subsidy." Could this senior French official please be put in charge of the travellers transit site at Horsdean and save the Brighton and Hove taxpayers a fortune? Vigilia
  • Score: 4

6:53am Tue 22 Apr 14

Plantpot says...

Scorpion wrote:
Slight inaccuracies: The contract terminates at the end of this year. DFDS have offered to run it under the same terms for another year but this has been rejected. The MyFerryLink "bid" basically said that it couldnt operate the service within the confines of the proposed contract so it wasnt a real bid as such.

When LD Lines took over some 7 years ago I was in a meeting with the then (maybe still) CEO of that company where he stated that without the subsidy the costs - and therefore ticket prices would double. In his mind that would make the service uneconomic to run (and that was 7 years ago).

I have been told that there are several thousand jobs dependent on the ferry service in Dieppe alone. Thats not to say they are jobs at the ports on either side. These are jobs related to servicing the ferry - supplying food, goodies for the shop and so on ...not to mention the various transport compaines on both sides of the channel which are based in the ports for bthe reasons of making it easy to do trade.

Yes... Newhaven looks tired and past its sell-by date. The French authorities have put much more money into refurbishing their facilities than the privatised port on Newhaven ever has. This IS the indictment against privatising things without a thought about the service it was meant to provide. (Thank you Maggie).
Hands up all those taxpayers that would like to invest shedloads of cash into an uneconomic service? Yup..... Thought so.

Ref the MyFerry Link bid not meeting the terms of the offered contract. What were the terms they couldn't/woudn't meet? I have done loads of tenders (although avoid them now like the plague). If a private co. can't/won't meet the terms of any proposed contract, it's generally because those terms are either unfair or unrealistic or there isn't enough money to be made. Plus no-one's queuing up to take on the service which says something in itself. Some clarity would be helpful in case my assumptions are inaccurate.
[quote][p][bold]Scorpion[/bold] wrote: Slight inaccuracies: The contract terminates at the end of this year. DFDS have offered to run it under the same terms for another year but this has been rejected. The MyFerryLink "bid" basically said that it couldnt operate the service within the confines of the proposed contract so it wasnt a real bid as such. When LD Lines took over some 7 years ago I was in a meeting with the then (maybe still) CEO of that company where he stated that without the subsidy the costs - and therefore ticket prices would double. In his mind that would make the service uneconomic to run (and that was 7 years ago). I have been told that there are several thousand jobs dependent on the ferry service in Dieppe alone. Thats not to say they are jobs at the ports on either side. These are jobs related to servicing the ferry - supplying food, goodies for the shop and so on ...not to mention the various transport compaines on both sides of the channel which are based in the ports for bthe reasons of making it easy to do trade. Yes... Newhaven looks tired and past its sell-by date. The French authorities have put much more money into refurbishing their facilities than the privatised port on Newhaven ever has. This IS the indictment against privatising things without a thought about the service it was meant to provide. (Thank you Maggie).[/p][/quote]Hands up all those taxpayers that would like to invest shedloads of cash into an uneconomic service? Yup..... Thought so. Ref the MyFerry Link bid not meeting the terms of the offered contract. What were the terms they couldn't/woudn't meet? I have done loads of tenders (although avoid them now like the plague). If a private co. can't/won't meet the terms of any proposed contract, it's generally because those terms are either unfair or unrealistic or there isn't enough money to be made. Plus no-one's queuing up to take on the service which says something in itself. Some clarity would be helpful in case my assumptions are inaccurate. Plantpot
  • Score: 1

10:54am Tue 22 Apr 14

Athena says...

£80 million is about to be spent on Sovereign Harbour in Eastbourne. Something similar should have been done about Newhaven, which is, for visitors, a dump. A day-trip to Dieppe for Brits takes you to an attractive town with shops, bars and castle, with a nice feel for being in France. But for the French to pop over to Newhaven, what do they get? Nothing. Not even decent road or rail links to Brighton, Eastbourne, or anywhere else to get a feel of England. Without development in Newhaven, it is a wonder the ferry service has survived so long.
£80 million is about to be spent on Sovereign Harbour in Eastbourne. Something similar should have been done about Newhaven, which is, for visitors, a dump. A day-trip to Dieppe for Brits takes you to an attractive town with shops, bars and castle, with a nice feel for being in France. But for the French to pop over to Newhaven, what do they get? Nothing. Not even decent road or rail links to Brighton, Eastbourne, or anywhere else to get a feel of England. Without development in Newhaven, it is a wonder the ferry service has survived so long. Athena
  • Score: 3

1:34pm Tue 22 Apr 14

Jimmy Stewart's Imaginary Rabbit says...

The points aboput Dieppe being great to visit are all valid. When I first went there in 1967 (on a school day trip) it was a dump the same as Newhaven. The French authorities are to be congratulated on the way they've really spruced up their end.

Sadly though the one thing that IS worse is the rail connection. In the 'old days' it was possible to get a direct train to Paris straight from the harbour terminal. That line's now closed and to get to Paris you have to go via Rouen. That's quite a blow as the link can't survive just on day-trippers.
The points aboput Dieppe being great to visit are all valid. When I first went there in 1967 (on a school day trip) it was a dump the same as Newhaven. The French authorities are to be congratulated on the way they've really spruced up their end. Sadly though the one thing that IS worse is the rail connection. In the 'old days' it was possible to get a direct train to Paris straight from the harbour terminal. That line's now closed and to get to Paris you have to go via Rouen. That's quite a blow as the link can't survive just on day-trippers. Jimmy Stewart's Imaginary Rabbit
  • Score: 2

4:07pm Tue 22 Apr 14

her professional says...

Jimmy Stewart's Imaginary Rabbit wrote:
Nosfaratu wrote:
Of course, if the Govt wanted Newhaven to become a major seaport they would have ploughed money into the road and rail connections. Instead most travelers/truckers go to Dover.
Its a travesty that Newhaven has seen no real investment in years, the only alternative to a clogged Dover. This is because of the lack of road and rail infrastructure on the South Coast.
Everyone knows that the rest of the country has had massive road building projects. Being close to London has made no difference, the A23/A27 are appalling. If the port closes everyone should write to the PM.
That's very true. Like so many places in Sussex Newhaven can only be reached by road by a couple of country lanes. Add to that the fact it's also on a tiny branch line and it's a wonder the port has stayed open as long as it has.
What would you like to see then, Sussex covered in Tarmac and concrete and criss crossed by thundering motorways? Most people live here because it's (relatively) rural, with centres of commerce and industry relatively easy to get to if needed. Newhaven has no hope of becoming a serious player in the port stakes, but there is lots of potential for capitalising on leisure potential (national park, the sea, Brighton and Eastbourne easily accessible for a day out etc etc).
[quote][p][bold]Jimmy Stewart's Imaginary Rabbit[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nosfaratu[/bold] wrote: Of course, if the Govt wanted Newhaven to become a major seaport they would have ploughed money into the road and rail connections. Instead most travelers/truckers go to Dover. Its a travesty that Newhaven has seen no real investment in years, the only alternative to a clogged Dover. This is because of the lack of road and rail infrastructure on the South Coast. Everyone knows that the rest of the country has had massive road building projects. Being close to London has made no difference, the A23/A27 are appalling. If the port closes everyone should write to the PM.[/p][/quote]That's very true. Like so many places in Sussex Newhaven can only be reached by road by a couple of country lanes. Add to that the fact it's also on a tiny branch line and it's a wonder the port has stayed open as long as it has.[/p][/quote]What would you like to see then, Sussex covered in Tarmac and concrete and criss crossed by thundering motorways? Most people live here because it's (relatively) rural, with centres of commerce and industry relatively easy to get to if needed. Newhaven has no hope of becoming a serious player in the port stakes, but there is lots of potential for capitalising on leisure potential (national park, the sea, Brighton and Eastbourne easily accessible for a day out etc etc). her professional
  • Score: 2

9:49pm Tue 22 Apr 14

Dave At Home says...

I think someone has done their sums wrong again.... €231,000,000.00 in 10 years!!!! €23,100,000.00 a year or about €68,000 a day, for what? Infrastructure projects, port development, road networks??? non of these have anything to do with the operation of the ferry, which I believe is operated by a private company and not the French Government.

All that is needed to pay for that ferry to cross each way is about 15 trucks and 20 cars and it's costs are met for the DAY, that's fuel (dirty fuel at that) and wages along with any grub they offer, so where all this other money comes in, I haven't got a clue.

I would suggest someone looks into these accounts and see whose pockets have been filled because the man on the ground is not seeing any of it.
I think someone has done their sums wrong again.... €231,000,000.00 in 10 years!!!! €23,100,000.00 a year or about €68,000 a day, for what? Infrastructure projects, port development, road networks??? non of these have anything to do with the operation of the ferry, which I believe is operated by a private company and not the French Government. All that is needed to pay for that ferry to cross each way is about 15 trucks and 20 cars and it's costs are met for the DAY, that's fuel (dirty fuel at that) and wages along with any grub they offer, so where all this other money comes in, I haven't got a clue. I would suggest someone looks into these accounts and see whose pockets have been filled because the man on the ground is not seeing any of it. Dave At Home
  • Score: 1

3:50am Wed 23 Apr 14

Mr chock says...

rogerthefish wrote:
Because it's about 60 miles and ships can't fly.
Actually ... ships can fly Brighton had the SeaJet an amazing trip almost 100 minutes ... and althou it did not like rough seas BACK in them days health and safety was not such a worry .. watched the Sea Jet go out way way more choppy waters than they cancel the hovercraft to I O W now .. ..
http://www.the-anglo
-french-forum.co.uk/
index.php?topic=7433
.0
so yes ships can fly ..
go look up brighton sea jet ...
[quote][p][bold]rogerthefish[/bold] wrote: Because it's about 60 miles and ships can't fly.[/p][/quote]Actually ... ships can fly Brighton had the SeaJet an amazing trip almost 100 minutes ... and althou it did not like rough seas BACK in them days health and safety was not such a worry .. watched the Sea Jet go out way way more choppy waters than they cancel the hovercraft to I O W now .. .. http://www.the-anglo -french-forum.co.uk/ index.php?topic=7433 .0 so yes ships can fly .. go look up brighton sea jet ... Mr chock
  • Score: 0

3:56am Wed 23 Apr 14

Mr chock says...

i like this quote too ..
Roger Hudson, of Eastbourne, said: “Our government is pouring billions into already saturated rail transport alongside private initiatives yet ignores routes like this that relieves the burden on rail and the inadequate road network.
THE REASON THEY putting millions in is to make the capacity BETTER .... the road network is it really inadequate where do you need to drive to ~and if you need to be there at a time then just leave a bit EARLIER dont blame the traffic jams at school run and leaving for home rush hours . .. as Dolly Parton sung working nine till five ... time your trip to not clash ? the roads are so so less busy at 7 pm ..
BTW is it really 500 jobs the little office at NewHaven has 2 staff the check in ticket trip check in booths are two and the boat is about 30 .. my maths is not good but count the staff and on a sunny day its only about 100
i like this quote too .. Roger Hudson, of Eastbourne, said: “Our government is pouring billions into already saturated rail transport alongside private initiatives yet ignores routes like this that relieves the burden on rail and the inadequate road network. THE REASON THEY putting millions in is to make the capacity BETTER .... the road network is it really inadequate where do you need to drive to ~and if you need to be there at a time then just leave a bit EARLIER dont blame the traffic jams at school run and leaving for home rush hours . .. as Dolly Parton sung working nine till five ... time your trip to not clash ? the roads are so so less busy at 7 pm .. BTW is it really 500 jobs the little office at NewHaven has 2 staff the check in ticket trip check in booths are two and the boat is about 30 .. my maths is not good but count the staff and on a sunny day its only about 100 Mr chock
  • Score: 0

3:58pm Wed 23 Apr 14

Jimmy Stewart's Imaginary Rabbit says...

her professional wrote:
Jimmy Stewart's Imaginary Rabbit wrote:
Nosfaratu wrote:
Of course, if the Govt wanted Newhaven to become a major seaport they would have ploughed money into the road and rail connections. Instead most travelers/truckers go to Dover.
Its a travesty that Newhaven has seen no real investment in years, the only alternative to a clogged Dover. This is because of the lack of road and rail infrastructure on the South Coast.
Everyone knows that the rest of the country has had massive road building projects. Being close to London has made no difference, the A23/A27 are appalling. If the port closes everyone should write to the PM.
That's very true. Like so many places in Sussex Newhaven can only be reached by road by a couple of country lanes. Add to that the fact it's also on a tiny branch line and it's a wonder the port has stayed open as long as it has.
What would you like to see then, Sussex covered in Tarmac and concrete and criss crossed by thundering motorways? Most people live here because it's (relatively) rural, with centres of commerce and industry relatively easy to get to if needed. Newhaven has no hope of becoming a serious player in the port stakes, but there is lots of potential for capitalising on leisure potential (national park, the sea, Brighton and Eastbourne easily accessible for a day out etc etc).
As I pointed out above the direct rail line from Dieppe to Paris has been closed (blame Eurostar), so the only people, other that daytrippers, who will use the link will be motorists.

So yes, IF the port is to have a future then the road access needs to be improved. That doesn't mean that Sussex will be 'covered in tarmac and concrete and criss crossed with thundering motorways' (but then you people always exaggerate). However to cope with our growing population the transport infrastructure needs to be improved anyway, but that's a general issue and not specifically to do with the port.
[quote][p][bold]her professional[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jimmy Stewart's Imaginary Rabbit[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nosfaratu[/bold] wrote: Of course, if the Govt wanted Newhaven to become a major seaport they would have ploughed money into the road and rail connections. Instead most travelers/truckers go to Dover. Its a travesty that Newhaven has seen no real investment in years, the only alternative to a clogged Dover. This is because of the lack of road and rail infrastructure on the South Coast. Everyone knows that the rest of the country has had massive road building projects. Being close to London has made no difference, the A23/A27 are appalling. If the port closes everyone should write to the PM.[/p][/quote]That's very true. Like so many places in Sussex Newhaven can only be reached by road by a couple of country lanes. Add to that the fact it's also on a tiny branch line and it's a wonder the port has stayed open as long as it has.[/p][/quote]What would you like to see then, Sussex covered in Tarmac and concrete and criss crossed by thundering motorways? Most people live here because it's (relatively) rural, with centres of commerce and industry relatively easy to get to if needed. Newhaven has no hope of becoming a serious player in the port stakes, but there is lots of potential for capitalising on leisure potential (national park, the sea, Brighton and Eastbourne easily accessible for a day out etc etc).[/p][/quote]As I pointed out above the direct rail line from Dieppe to Paris has been closed (blame Eurostar), so the only people, other that daytrippers, who will use the link will be motorists. So yes, IF the port is to have a future then the road access needs to be improved. That doesn't mean that Sussex will be 'covered in tarmac and concrete and criss crossed with thundering motorways' (but then you people always exaggerate). However to cope with our growing population the transport infrastructure needs to be improved anyway, but that's a general issue and not specifically to do with the port. Jimmy Stewart's Imaginary Rabbit
  • Score: 1

6:33pm Wed 23 Apr 14

her professional says...

Jimmy Stewart's Imaginary Rabbit wrote:
her professional wrote:
Jimmy Stewart's Imaginary Rabbit wrote:
Nosfaratu wrote:
Of course, if the Govt wanted Newhaven to become a major seaport they would have ploughed money into the road and rail connections. Instead most travelers/truckers go to Dover.
Its a travesty that Newhaven has seen no real investment in years, the only alternative to a clogged Dover. This is because of the lack of road and rail infrastructure on the South Coast.
Everyone knows that the rest of the country has had massive road building projects. Being close to London has made no difference, the A23/A27 are appalling. If the port closes everyone should write to the PM.
That's very true. Like so many places in Sussex Newhaven can only be reached by road by a couple of country lanes. Add to that the fact it's also on a tiny branch line and it's a wonder the port has stayed open as long as it has.
What would you like to see then, Sussex covered in Tarmac and concrete and criss crossed by thundering motorways? Most people live here because it's (relatively) rural, with centres of commerce and industry relatively easy to get to if needed. Newhaven has no hope of becoming a serious player in the port stakes, but there is lots of potential for capitalising on leisure potential (national park, the sea, Brighton and Eastbourne easily accessible for a day out etc etc).
As I pointed out above the direct rail line from Dieppe to Paris has been closed (blame Eurostar), so the only people, other that daytrippers, who will use the link will be motorists.

So yes, IF the port is to have a future then the road access needs to be improved. That doesn't mean that Sussex will be 'covered in tarmac and concrete and criss crossed with thundering motorways' (but then you people always exaggerate). However to cope with our growing population the transport infrastructure needs to be improved anyway, but that's a general issue and not specifically to do with the port.
Please explain your plan for improved road access to Newhaven. After that, once all your extra cars and lorries (oops, nearly said "thundering lorries", mustn't exaggerate) have arrived, what will happen then?
[quote][p][bold]Jimmy Stewart's Imaginary Rabbit[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]her professional[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jimmy Stewart's Imaginary Rabbit[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nosfaratu[/bold] wrote: Of course, if the Govt wanted Newhaven to become a major seaport they would have ploughed money into the road and rail connections. Instead most travelers/truckers go to Dover. Its a travesty that Newhaven has seen no real investment in years, the only alternative to a clogged Dover. This is because of the lack of road and rail infrastructure on the South Coast. Everyone knows that the rest of the country has had massive road building projects. Being close to London has made no difference, the A23/A27 are appalling. If the port closes everyone should write to the PM.[/p][/quote]That's very true. Like so many places in Sussex Newhaven can only be reached by road by a couple of country lanes. Add to that the fact it's also on a tiny branch line and it's a wonder the port has stayed open as long as it has.[/p][/quote]What would you like to see then, Sussex covered in Tarmac and concrete and criss crossed by thundering motorways? Most people live here because it's (relatively) rural, with centres of commerce and industry relatively easy to get to if needed. Newhaven has no hope of becoming a serious player in the port stakes, but there is lots of potential for capitalising on leisure potential (national park, the sea, Brighton and Eastbourne easily accessible for a day out etc etc).[/p][/quote]As I pointed out above the direct rail line from Dieppe to Paris has been closed (blame Eurostar), so the only people, other that daytrippers, who will use the link will be motorists. So yes, IF the port is to have a future then the road access needs to be improved. That doesn't mean that Sussex will be 'covered in tarmac and concrete and criss crossed with thundering motorways' (but then you people always exaggerate). However to cope with our growing population the transport infrastructure needs to be improved anyway, but that's a general issue and not specifically to do with the port.[/p][/quote]Please explain your plan for improved road access to Newhaven. After that, once all your extra cars and lorries (oops, nearly said "thundering lorries", mustn't exaggerate) have arrived, what will happen then? her professional
  • Score: 0

7:37pm Wed 23 Apr 14

Sussex jim says...

500 job losses? Never mind- apparently there will shortly be even more vacancies at nearby Sovereign Harbour in Eastbourne.
500 job losses? Never mind- apparently there will shortly be even more vacancies at nearby Sovereign Harbour in Eastbourne. Sussex jim
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree