Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Horror as family Labrador swallows packet of cocaine
A family watched in horror as their pet dog convulsed after swallowing a packet of cocaine.
Max ate the class A drugs while walking with his owners in Hastings and within an hour of returning home the poor pooch began to fit and foam at the mouth in front of 15-year-old Stewart Vogel, mum Karen Janman and stepfather Ian.
The nine-month-old golden Labrador retriever was rushed to the vets, where it was confirmed a wrap of the drug had burst inside his stomach.
Mrs Janman, 49, said Max was “acting weird and agitated” when he returned home and did not recognise the family.
She said: “He’d been for a walk up Emmanuel Road up to the West Hill.
“I had a feeling he had swallowed something but I couldn’t imagine what.
“I was petrified when he started fitting. I didn’t know what to do.
“Stewart is mildly autistic and we got Max for him as |he struggles to mix with people, so he was very upset when he saw what was going on.
“We rushed Max to the vet who sedated him and tried to bring his temperature down by hosing him with cold water.
“It turned out he ingested a wrap of cocaine that someone had dropped in the street.
“We didn’t know if he would make it.”
Max was heavily anaesthetised to counteract the effects of the cocaine and was taken for an overnight stay at the Greenleaves |Veterinary Centre in Bexhill.
Paul Cooper, the vet who initially treated him, said Max must have had “just enough anaesthetic to sedate an elephant” and he had “never seen a dog have that much and live”.
Mrs Janman said: “I feel disgusted at what’s happened.
“What if it was a child or a toddler that picked up the cocaine? You know what kids are like.
“It’s taken Max a few days to recover but he’s back to his lively self now.
“We got him when he was just two months old so he is like family to us.”
Inspector Chris Veale, of Sussex Police, said: “We will not tolerate the use or dealing of illegal drugs in Hastings.
“I’m glad that the dog in this case is recovering but it highlights the problems that drugs can cause in the community.
“Drugs are not a harmless diversion used by people in their own homes.
“They cause misery to communities through antisocial behaviour and |crime and we will not accept them.
“If you have any information about drugs in Hastings please contact us and we will investigate.”
Comments are closed on this article.