Passers-by sprang into action after an elderly disabled man fell into a lake.
The incident happened shortly after 3.30pm yesterday at Brooklands Lake in Lancing.
It is believed the man had accidentally ridden his mobility scooter too close to the edge.
Members of the public at the scene are reported to have helped stop the man from going underwater until emergency services arrived.
West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service used a short extension ladder to help get the man out of the water and he was treated at the scene before being taken to Worthing Hospital.
Did you see what happened?
Email email@example.com or call 01273 544543
- 18-year-old stabbed in Brighton McDonald's
- Car failed to stop for police which killed pensioner in hit-and-run
- 87-year-old woman hit by taxi in Brighton city centre dies
- Drivers strike on Southern called off
- Police warn public about serial scammer conning good samaritans out of money